Ambassador Theatre (New York City)Distance: 1.0 miCompetitive Analysis 219 West 49th St New York, NY 10019
The Ambassador Theatre is a Broadway theatre located at 219 West 49th Street between Broadway and 8th Avenue in Midtown Manhattan.Designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp for the Shuberts, the structure is noteworthy in that it is situated diagonally on its site to fit the maximum number of seats possible. Its external appearance, indistinguishable from many other Broadway houses, does not hint at the unusual layout within. The building has been designated a New York City landmark.The theatre opened on February 11, 1921, with the musical The Rose Girl. The Shuberts sold the property in 1935, and for the next two decades it was used as a movie theater and television studio for NBC and later the DuMont Television Network, when it was known as the Ambassador Tele-Theatre. In 1956, the Shuberts assumed ownership again and returned it to strictly legitimate use.
The Hearst Tower is a building with the addresses of 300 West 57th Street and 959 Eighth Avenue, near Columbus Circle, in Midtown Manhattan, New York City. It is the world headquarters of the Hearst Corporation, housing the numerous publications and communications companies of the media conglomerate under one roof, including, among others, Cosmopolitan, Esquire, Marie Claire, Harper's Bazaar, Good Housekeeping, and ''Seventeen.HistoryThe six-story base of the headquarters building was commissioned by the founder, William Randolph Hearst, and awarded to the architect Joseph Urban. The building was completed in 1928 at a cost of $2 million and contained 40000sqft. The original cast stone facade has been preserved in the new design as a designated Landmark site. Originally built as the base for a proposed skyscraper, the construction of the tower was postponed due to the Great Depression. The new tower addition was completed nearly eighty years later, and 2,000 Hearst employees moved in on June 26, 2006.
The Central Park Carousel is a vintage carousel located in Central Park in Manhattan, New York City, at the southern end of the park, near East 65th Street. It is the fourth carousel on the site where it is located.HistoryThe current carousel is officially the Michael Friedsam Memorial Carousel, but referred to as the Trump Carousel after businessman Donald Trump, who renovated it. It is the fourth carousel in the park since 1871, all located at the same site, and is part of the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission's Central Park Scenic Landmarks.The original 1871 Central Park carousel was powered by a mule or horse under the carousel's platform, signaled to start and stop by the operator tapping his foot. Two succeeding rides were destroyed by fires in 1924 and 1950.CarouselThe current carousel, which was restored in 1990, has 57 hand-carved horses - 52 jumpers and 5 standers - and two chariots. It is open seven days a week when weather permits, and serves around 250,000 riders every year. The carousel has a Ruth & Sohn band organ playing waltzes, marches, and polkas. It was installed in the park in 1951 with a new structure surrounding it, it is one of the largest merry-go-rounds in the United States, and was made by Solomon Stein and Harry Goldstein in 1908. It was originally installed in a trolley terminal in Coney Island in Brooklyn, where it operated until the 1940s.
Fordham University School of Law is a part of Fordham University in the United States. The School is located in the Borough of Manhattan in New York City, and is one of eight ABA-approved law schools in that city. In 2013, 91% of the law school's first-time test takers passed the bar exam, placing the law school fifth-best among New York's 15 law schools.According to Fordham University School of Law's 2014 ABA-required disclosures, 67.8% of the Class of 2014 obtained full-time, long-term, JD-required employment nine months after graduation.
Avatar Studios, formerly known as The Power Station, is a recording studio at 441 West 53rd Street in Manhattan, New York City.The building was originally a Consolidated Edison power plant. In 1977, it was rebuilt as a recording studio by producer Tony Bongiovi and his partner Bob Walters and gained renown as one of the finest acoustic environments for recording in the world. It has won several studio industry awards over the years, including a "Les Paul Award for Special Lifetime Achievement" in 1991.The complex was renamed Avatar Studios (under the Avatar Entertainment Corporation) in May 1996.Major acts who have recorded there include the band Power Station which was named after the studio itself, Walter Becker, The Kinks, Bob Dylan, Arctic Monkeys, Aerosmith, Baltimora, Counting Crows, The Clash, Kings of Leon, Marc Anthony, The B-52's, Tony Bennett, Michael Brecker, Devo, Bon Jovi, Dire Straits, Duran Duran, Dream Theater, Bruce Springsteen, John Lennon, Billy Joel, Grayson Hugh, Throwing Muses, Serge Gainsbourg, The Strokes, Bryan Adams, Bernadette Peters, Rocket From the Crypt, Pat Metheny, Keith Jarrett Trio, Neil Young, Jaco Pastorius, Harry Connick, Jr., Iggy Pop, Madonna, Journey, Muse, George Michael, Betty Carter, Sum 41, John Mayer, Moby, Vanessa Williams, Blondie, Porcupine Tree, Chic, Michael Stanley, Joan Jett, David Bowie, The Last Shadow Puppets, The Rumble Strips, Trey Anastasio, Helix, Kathem Al Saher, Gang Starr, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Weather Report, and Roxy Music.
Shakespeare in the Park is a theatrical program that stages productions of Shakespearean plays at an open theater in New York City's Central Park. The theater and the productions are managed by the Public Theater and tickets are distributed free of charge on the day of the performance. Originally branded as the New York Shakespeare Festival under the direction of Joseph Papp, the institution was renamed in 2002 as part of a larger reorganization by the Public Theater.HistoryThe festival was originally conceived by director-producer Joseph Papp in 1954. Papp began with a series of Shakespeare workshops, then moved on to free productions on the Lower East Side. Eventually, the plays moved to a lawn in front of Turtle Pond in Central Park. In 1959, parks commissioner Robert Moses demanded that Papp and his company charge a fee for the performances to cover the cost of "grass erosion." A court battle ensued. Papp continued to fight Moses, winning his enduring respect and the quote "well, let's build the bastard a theater." Following this, Moses requested funds from the city for the construction of an amphitheater in the park. In 1961, the Delacorte Theater was built. The first performance held in the theater in 1962 was Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice, starring George C. Scott and James Earl Jones.
Merkin Concert Hall is a 449-seat concert hall in Manhattan, New York City. The hall, named in honor of Hermann and Ursula Merkin, is part of the Kaufman Music Center, a complex that includes the Lucy Moses School, a community arts school, and the Special Music School (P.S. 859), a New York City public school for musically gifted children. Merkin Concert Hall hosts 70,000 concert goers a year.OverviewMerkin Concert Hall opened in Kaufman Music Center's Abraham Goodman House in 1978, and soon after distinguished itself as an important New York City venue, featuring innovative classical and new music programming . Located in the Lincoln Square neighborhood, it is near the Lincoln Center campus but is not affiliated with it. Merkin Hall hosts over 200 concerts a year, many of them Kaufman Music Center presentations. It has several long-running series, presenting established and emerging artists, as well as Broadway and Family focused shows. Beginning in 1986, Kaufman Music Center has co-presented New Sounds Live with WNYC, hosted by John Schaefer and broadcast live on the radio. In 2003, New York Festival of Song began its series of co-presentations at Merkin Hall as well. WQXR-FM's online webcast Q2 began live streaming of Kaufman Music Center's Ecstatic Music Festival in 2011.
Lincoln Center, Alice Tully HallDistance: 0.5 miCompetitive Analysis 1941 Broadway New York New York, NY 10023
The Rose Center for Earth and Space is a part of the American Museum of Natural History in New York City. The Center's complete name is The Frederick Phineas and Sandra Priest Rose Center for Earth and Space. The main entrance is located on the northern side of the museum on 81st Street near Central Park West in Manhattan's Upper West Side. Completed in 2000, it includes the new Hayden Planetarium, the original of which was opened in 1935 and closed in 1997. Neil deGrasse Tyson is its first and, only director.HistoryThe center is an extensive reworking of the former Hayden Planetarium, whose first projector, dedicated in 1935, had 2 successors previous to the current one.The original Hayden Planetarium was founded in 1933 with a donation by philanthropist Charles Hayden. In 1935, the Hayden Planetarium, designed by architects Trowbridge & Livingston, opened, after its construction was funded by a $650,000 loan from the Reconstruction Finance Corporation and a $150,000 donation from banker Charles Hayden of Hayden, Stone & Co. Its mission was to give the public "a more lively and sincere appreciation of the magnitude of the universe... and for the wonderful things which are daily occurring in the universe." Joseph M. Chamberlain, hired as an assistant curator in 1952, became Chairman of the Planetarium in 1956. In 1960, a Zeiss Mark IV projector was installed, followed by a Zeiss Mark VI projector and new seats in 1993.
The 1251 Avenue of the Americas, formerly known as the Exxon Building, is a skyscraper on Sixth Avenue (also known as Avenue of the Americas) in Manhattan, between 49th and 50th Streets. It is owned by Mitsui Fudosan.ContextThe building was part of the later Rockefeller Center expansion (1960s - 1970s) dubbed the "XYZ Buildings". Their plans were first drawn in 1963 by the Rockefeller family's architect, Wallace Harrison, of the architectural firm Harrison and Abramovitz. Their letters correspond to their height. 1251 is the "X" Building as it is the tallest at 750 ft (229 m) and 54 stories, but was the second one completed (1971). The "Y" is the 1221 Avenue of the Americas, which was the first completed (1969) and is the second in height (674 ft and 51 stories). The "Z" Building, the shortest and the youngest, is the 1211 Avenue of the Americas with 45 stories (592 ft). 1251 is the second-tallest building in the whole of Rockefeller Center, after the Comcast Building.Despite being one of the 100 tallest buildings in the United States, 1251 Avenue of the Americas is almost impossible to see from more than just a few blocks away as it is flanked on all sides by buildings over 500 feet tall. The result is that even though 1251 Avenue of the Americas is approximately as tall as the tallest buildings in cities such as Boston or Minneapolis, it has almost no presence on the New York City skyline.
Time Warner Inc. (TWI, at one former interval named AOL Time Warner, stylized as TimeWarner since 2003) is an American multinational media and entertainment conglomerate headquartered in the Time Warner Center in New York City. It is currently the world's third largest television networks and filmed TV and entertainment company in terms of revenue (after Comcast and The Walt Disney Company), and at one time was the world's largest media conglomerate. Time Warner was formed in 1990 through the merger of Time Inc. and Warner Communications. The current company consists largely of the assets of the former Warner Communications, as well as HBO (a Time Inc. subsidiary prior to the Warner merger) and the assets of Turner Broadcasting (acquired in 1996). Time Warner currently has major operations in film and television, with a limited amount of publishing operations. Among its assets are Home Box Office, Turner Broadcasting System, The CW Television Network, Warner Bros., CNN, DC Comics, and as of August 2016, it owns 10% of Hulu.
Central Park Bike Tours is the leading bicycle rental and tours company in New York City, serving thousands of satisfied customers each year. Established in 1992, we are conveniently located one block south of Central Park. Don't miss out on a unique and green New York City experience by choosing a bike tour that best fits your interests and group members.
The Original Central Park Bike Tour
Arts & Architecture Tour
Movie Scene Tour
& our new Photo Tour!
Also, single and tandem bicycle rentals!
Call us today for more info and to book!
The Apthorp is a historic condominium apartment building in Manhattan, New York City. The Italian Renaissance Revival building designed by architects Clinton & Russell for William Waldorf Astor, was built between 1906 and 1908; it occupies the full block between Broadway and West End Avenue and between West 78th and West 79th streets. The building, which has been called "Monumental and magnificent", is built around a large interior courtyard. It was designated a New York City landmark in 1969, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.The building was named for Charles Ward Apthorp, who owned Apthorp Farm, which encompassed about 300acre in this part of Manhattan in the late 18th century.A three-story rusticated base and the rustication of the broader corner bays as well as string moldings serve together to articulate the otherwise block-like mass. Arch-headed windows contrast with rectangular ones to emphasize lightly certain positions, notably the enriched uppermost floor under the projecting cornice. Over-lifesize limestone sculptures representing the Four Seasons stand above the central barrel-vaulted entrance, where the elaborate wrought-iron gates in the manner of Samuel Yellin feature a pair of gazelle heads.
Central Park Dance Skaters Association Distance: 0.1 miCompetitive Analysis Central Park New York, NY 10023
WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT
Memberships and donations help us pay for permits, sound equipment, and other essential operating costs necessary to keep the CPDSA Skate Circle rolling. Without your support there is no Skate Circle.
For Memberships and Donations, please go to our website: http://www.cpdsa.org/support/
Urban Stages' Outreach Program enriches the lives of children and adults by providing opportunities to engage with the arts in schools, libraries and on-stage. Through our Summer Theater Camp, students between the ages 10-14 have the unique opportunity to collaborate with and learn from professional artists at our Off-Broadway theater. For more information about our outreach program and initiatives, please visit http://urbanstages.org/
HUGS are distributed through community organizations, churches and temples, shelters and missions. In emergency situations such as Hurricane Sandy, relief organizations will also be utilized. Wherever there's a need, we'll be providing HUGS.
Besides working with homeless, the Hats, Umbrella
s, Gloves, and Scarves that we collect from wonderfully generous folks like you are distributed through a partnership with an admirable organization called Project Find. This organization was established to provide low-income and homeless seniors with services and support so that they can live independently. Project Find operates five Senior Centers which serve over 3,000 people and three residences that house 600 people. For more information about Project Find, visit their website, www.projectfind.org.
Please help us provide as many HUGS as possible to the homeless, the elderly and the needy by donating today
Congregation Shearith Israel, the Spanish and Portuguese Synagogue, was founded in 1654 by 23 Jews of Spanish and Portuguese descent. It was the first Jewish congregation to be established in North America. Today, Jews of all backgrounds make up our welcoming, traditional community.
The Foundation for Education in Honduras Distance: 0.4 miCompetitive Analysis P.O. Box 1702 New York, NY 10150
What makes us different?
- Apolitical & non-religious organization focused on educational equality in Honduras
- 100% volunteer-based organization to ensure the funds reach the children directly
- Supplies sourced through local Honduran businesses to promote economic growth in the community
- Recent partnership with the Clinton Global Initiative to extend impact and outreach
- Cross-Cultural initiatives that enable Honduran students and U.S. students to engage, learn from, and inspire one another
Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund Distance: 0.4 miCompetitive Analysis P.O. Box 7307 New York, NY 10116-7307
Eleni's Pop of Color ("EPOC") is a non-profit outreach program providing scarves to patients undergoing active chemotherapy treatment. EPOC was born out of a desire to provide those enduring the difficulties of chemotherapy with a little bit of comfort in very uncomfortable times. The program was first conceived by Eleni Vavas, a physician, wife, mother, daughter, sister and most importantly a self-proclaimed "cancer fighter". As Eleni persevered through chemo treatments, she struggled with the realities of the side effects that chemotherapy caused. Eleni started wearing scarves, mostly around her neck to cover her mediport, draw people's attention away from her short hair, provide a bit of extra warmth as she struggled to maintain her weight and most importantly as she put it "to add a little pop of color". She always said that she was comforted by how the scarves made her feel.
While undergoing treatments, Eleni began working with hospital administrators at North Shore University Hospital to create EPOC. It was Eleni's desire that others going through chemotherapy would be able to enjoy that same bit of comfort she felt when she wrapped herself in those scarves. To continue Eleni’s legacy and vision, EPOC continues its outreach within the North Shore/LIJ Health System.
An EPOC scarf is much more than just an accessory. It serves as a badge of honor and as a reminder of the unbreakable human spirit and unwavering strength of the soul within. Almost equally as important is the hope that each EPOC scarf will inspire discussions and promote awareness.
*EPOC is sponsored by The Eleni Vavas Memorial Fund which received tax exempt status 501 (c)(3) in September 2015.
City Parks Foundation (CPF) is the only independent, nonprofit organization to offer park programs throughout the five boroughs of New York City. We work in over 350 parks citywide, presenting a broad range of free arts, sports, and education programs, and empowering citizens to support their parks on a local level. Our programs and community building initiatives reach more than 425,000 people each year, contributing to the revitalization of neighborhoods throughout New York City.
The Kosciuszko Foundation: The American Center of Polish Culture
Founded in 1925 by Stephen Mizwa, the Kosciuszko Foundation promotes closer ties between Poland and the United States through educational, scientific and cultural exchanges. It awards up to $1 million annually in fellowships and grants to graduate students, scholars, scientists, professionals, and artists, and promotes Polish culture in America. The Foundation has awarded scholarships and provided a forum to Poles who have changed history.
Over the years the Kosciuszko Foundation has added honorary trustees to its board, such as Zbigniew Brzezinski, Czeslaw Milosz, Andrzej Wajda, Krzysztof Penderecki, and also provided medals of recognition to people such as Artur Rubinstein, Norman Davies, Ryszard Kapuscinski, Rafal Olbinski, Dr. Maria Siemionow, and other distinguished Poles who have performed or lectured at the foundation. This elaborate network has been part of the foundation's success.
Young Poles and Polish-Americans are uniquely poised to change the world, not just through humanities and the arts, but through the sciences, technology, and business as well. But it takes money to finance their dreams through education. With scholarships, they can become the leaders of tomorrow. For the 21st century, the Kosciuszko Foundation wants to build on the examples set by Kosciuszko and Mizwa, but we need your help to do it.
The Kosciuszko Foundation can only continue its activities supporting Polish culture and awarding scholarships if we receive support from people like you. To donate to the Kosciuszko Foundation in the United States in New York, call (212) 734 2130, or visit us on the web at http://www.thekf.org