We are Maryland’s public health, law, and human services university devoted to leadership and excellence in professional and graduate education, research, public service, and patient care. When the Medical School of Maryland was re-chartered in 1812 -- with the requirement that it add a law school, divinity school and school of arts and sciences -- we became the University of Maryland.
The College of Medicine of Maryland, or also known since 1959 as Davidge Hall, has been in continuous use for medical education since 1813, the oldest such structure in the United States. A wide pediment stands in front of a low, domed drum structure, which housed the anatomical theater. A circular chemistry hall was housed on the lower level under the anatomical theater.The dome is a Delormé structure, with small slats forming the dome. The design, originated by Philibert de l'Orme, was also used at Jefferson's Monticello. Somewhat inspired by the ancient Pantheon in Rome. The supervising architect was Robert Cary Long, Sr., a famous local father-son team of architects who also designed many other famous buildings in the city. The front portico facing West Lombard Street (formerly King George Street) is of wood construction with Doric columns. To the west is South Greene Street (named for Revolutionary War Gen. Nathanael Greene, (1742-1786), and aide to Gen. George Washington of the Continental Army)Davidge Hall was named for the founder and first dean of the College of Medicine of Maryland, Dr. John Beale Davidge. The College of Medicine is the oldest public and fifth oldest medical school in the United States. Dr. Davidge, along with James Cocke and John Shaw, offered medical instruction in a small theater beginning in late 1807. In November of that year, a mob broke into Davidge's small domed theater, took the cadaver and dragged it through the streets. In December, the Maryland General Assembly passed a bill establishing a college of medicine. A lot was obtained for construction of a building in 1811. Evidence exists that in addition to Robert Cary Long, Jr., early design work may have also been performed by French émigré architect J. Maximilian M. Godefroy, son-in-law of Dr. Crawford (who also did work on the Battle Monument during 1815-1827, in Baltimore's former Courthouse Square at North Calvert, between East Lexington and Fayette Streets and the First Independent Church of Baltimore (later First Unitarian Church of Baltimore (Unitarian and Universalist
University of Maryland School of Social WorkDistance: 0.4 miCompetitive Analysis 525 W Redwood St Baltimore, MD 21201
The University of Maryland School of Social Work is a highly-ranked institution that produces outstanding social workers whose practice advances the well-being of all the people they serve, especially members of populations at risk. U.S.News & World Report ranks the School 18th in their 2008 list of Best Graduate Schools in America.
Part of a public university in a diversified state and region, the School promotes social and economic justice in all of its activities. The School provides professional leadership through its programs of education, practice, research, scholarship, service innovation, consultation, and advocacy.
University of Maryland Emergency RoomDistance: 0.4 miCompetitive Analysis 22 S Greene St Baltimore, MD 21201
Institute of Human VirologyDistance: 0.4 miCompetitive Analysis 725 W Lombard St Baltimore, MD 21201
The Institute of Human Virology (IHV) is the first center in the United States - perhaps the world - to combine the disciplines of basic science, epidemiology and clinical research in a concerted effort to speed the discovery of diagnostics and therapeutics for a wide variety of chronic and deadly viral and immune disorders - most notably HIV, the cause of AIDS.
Formed in 1996 as a partnership between the State of Maryland, the City of Baltimore, the University System of Maryland and the University of Maryland Medical System, IHV is an institute of the University of Maryland School of Medicine and is home to some of the most globally-recognized and world-renowned experts in the field of human virology.
The Institute, with its various laboratory and patient care facilities, is uniquely housed in a 100,000-square-foot building located in the center of Baltimore and our nation’s HIV/AIDS pandemic. IHV creates an environment where multidisciplinary research, education and clinical programs work closely together to expedite the scientific understanding of HIV/AIDS pathogenesis and to develop therapeutic interventions to make AIDS and virally-caused cancers manageable, if not curable, diseases.
A particular focus of IHV includes learning how to utilize the body's natural chemistry for its own therapeutic potential and pursuing biologically-based treatment approaches that are less toxic to the body and, often, less costly to the patient and public. IHV also pursues the development of effective therapeutic and preventative vaccines, science's greatest hope in putting an end to the AIDS pandemic.
IHV's more than 300 employees include 73 faculty whose research efforts are focused in the area of chronic human viral infection and disease. At present, more than 75 percent of the Institute's clinical and research effort is targeted at HIV infection, but also includes the Hepatitis C virus, herpes viruses and cancer research.
University of Maryland Pediatrics UnitDistance: 0.3 miCompetitive Analysis 22 S Greene St Baltimore, MD 21201
University Of Maryland Medical Center -Frankil Building-Distance: 0.3 miCompetitive Analysis 104 S Eutaw St Baltimore, MD 21201