Church is a 225 person capacity, full-fledged music venue adorned with original artwork. The stage plays host to many local and touring artists, with every type of music passing through. Be sure to check our calendar (http://www.ticketfly.com/venue/803-church/ ) for upcoming events. Pool tables and several hi-def televisions are also in the club, showing every Boston sporting event.
Interested in playing at Church?
Please contact: [email protected]
Please do not contact us via facebook as we don't always check it and you may not get a timely response.
For more than 340 years, Old South Church has stood as a progressive, vibrant Christian community grounded in Jesus, alive to the Spirit, and engaged in the adventure of faith. We are an Open and Affirming congregation of the United Church of Christ, welcoming all who seek to journey toward the promised realm of God. Our life together is animated by our belief in the presence of the Living God, whom we come to know through the rhythms of worship, prayer, scripture and learning, generosity, kindness and hospitality.
Old South is a spiritual home to people from all walks and stations of life, believers and questioners, people from a range of backgrounds and faith perspectives. In our worship, we draw on a variety of Christian traditions, from ancient to contemporary. Through a broad and eclectic program of service, outreach, education, and fellowship, we strive to be part of God’s work of mending the world. In all things, we rely upon the healing, unconditional nature of God’s love and grace to be our help and guide.
For more about what to expect at Old South, click http://oldsouth.org/visitors/what-expect
The First Church of Christ, Scientist, also known as The Mother Church, is the administrative headquarters and the mother church of the Church of Christ, Scientist, also known as the Christian Science church. Christian Science was founded in the 19th century in Lynn, Massachusetts, by Mary Baker Eddy with the publication of her book, Science and Health (1875).The First Church of Christ, Scientist, is located in the 14.5-acre Christian Science Center in Boston, Massachusetts. The center is owned by the church and contains the Original Mother Church (1894), Mother Church Extension (1906), Christian Science Publishing House, Mary Baker Eddy Library, the Administration Building, Colonnade Building, and Reflection Hall. There is also a reflecting pool and fountain.In accordance with the Manual of The Mother Church, the Mother Church is the only Christian Science church to use the definite article ("the) in its title. Branch churches are named "First Church of Christ, Scientist," "Second Church of Christ, Scientist," and so on, followed by the name of the city, in the order in which they were built in that city (for example, Seventeenth Church of Christ, Scientist, Chicago).
The MIT Chapel is a non-denominational chapel designed by noted architect Eero Saarinen. It is located on the campus of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in Cambridge, Massachusetts, next to Kresge Auditorium and Kresge Oval, which Saarinen also designed. Though a small building, the Chapel is often noted as a successful example of mid-Century modern architecture in the US. Saarinen also designed the landscaping surrounding all three.Leland M. Roth included the building in his History of American Architecture, using it to illustrate the contrast between Saarinen's approach and that of Mies van der Rohe . Roth said that "through the sheer manipulation of light and the its focus on a blazingly white marble altar block, Saarinen created a place of mystic quiet."From the outside, the chapel is a simple, windowless brick cylinder set inside a very shallow concrete moat. It is 50ft in diameter and 30ft high, and topped by an aluminum spire. The brick is supported by a series of low arches. Saarinen chose bricks that were rough and imperfect to create a textured effect. The whole is set in two groves of London Planetrees, with a long wall to the east, all designed by Saarinen. The wall and trees provide a uniform background for the chapel, and isolate the site from the noise and bustle of adjacent buildings.Within is an intimate space, stunning in its immediate visual impact. Windowless interior walls are undulating brick. Like a cascade of light, a full-height metal sculpture by Harry Bertoia glitters from the circular skylight down to a small, unadorned marble altar. Natural light filters upward from shallow slits in the walls catching rippling reflected light from the moat; this dim ambient light is complemented by artificial lighting. The chapel's curving spire and bell tower was designed by the sculptor Theodore Roszak and was added in 1956.
The Basilica and Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help is a Roman Catholic Basilica in Boston, Massachusetts, sometimes known as "The Mission Church".HistoryIn May 1869, Rev. James A. Healy, pastor of St. James’s Church in Boston, invited the Redemptorists to give a parish mission. Pleased with the success of the mission, Father Healy recommended to the Bishop that the religious order should establish a mission-house in Boston. That year Archbishop John J. Williams invited the Redemptorists to Boston. In September 1869 the Redemptorists acquired a site in Roxbury, then known as the Boston Highlands, on Parker Hill. Parker Hill was named for wealthy Boston merchant, John Parker, who occupied the summit of the hill during the eighteenth century. The five acre estate was known as Brinley Place, and included a grand house, Datchet House built in 1723 by prominent English officer Colonel Francis Brinley in memory of his ancestral home. Colonel Brinley died in 1765. Wealthy merchant Robert Pierpont purchased the house in 1773. Pierpont enlarged and enriched the house to such a degree that it became known as "Pierpont’s Castle".The Redemptorists built a modest wooden church on the location in 1870. This was to serve as a "mission house", a home base for priests traveling to distant parts of Massachusetts, Canada, and elsewhere. The church was dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Help. The first mass was said on January 29, 1871. The original structure was located on the site where the rectory now stands.BuildingThe current church was designed by William Schickel and Isaac Ditmars of New York. The then German congregation broke ground in 1874. The Mission Church was constructed in Romanesque style, of Roxbury puddingstone, quarried from what is now Puddingstone Park, just down the block. An octagonal, cupola-topped lantern rises over a hundred feet above the crossing. The stained glass windows were made by Franz Mayer and Co. from Munich, Germany. Side altars were dedicated to the Holy Family and St. Patrick, respectively. The church was dedicated in 1878. At this time the church was not an ordinary parish in which all sacraments were administered, but was instead limited to penance and Holy Communion. Our Lady of Perpetual Help became a parish of the Archdiocese of Boston in 1883.
Unity is a place where spirituality is more important than religion, a place where following your heart is more important than following a creed, a place where God is user-friendly. Uncover or rediscover the Spirit already within you ready to co-create your journey of peace, love and abundance. Join us in a celebration of life and joy and you. Namaste!
For nearly 200 years, the UU Urban Ministry has been working side-by-side with Boston's urban communities to create opportunities and instill hope for a brighter future. We concentrate our efforts primarily in out-of-school-time programming for at-risk youth and shelter for those fleeing domestic violence. We also operate a program focused on providing support for men in transition, including those involved with the criminal justice system. Our ministry is rooted in direct experience and service with those in Boston who are struggling for better lives. We seek to build bridges of understanding and mutuality so that people in various economic circumstances can work together to effect change. Our goal is to create a human community that is peaceful and just.
Fenway Park is a baseball park located in Boston, Massachusetts, at 4 Yawkey Way near Kenmore Square. Since 1912, it has been the location for the Boston Red Sox, the city's Major League Baseball (MLB) franchise. It is the oldest ballpark in Major League Baseball.Because of its age and constrained location in Boston's dense Fenway–Kenmore neighborhood, the park has been renovated or expanded many times, resulting in quirky heterogeneous features including "The Triangle" (below), "Pesky's Pole", and the Green Monster in left field. It is the fourth smallest among MLB ballparks by seating capacity, second smallest by total capacity, and one of eight that cannot accommodate at least 40,000 spectators.Fenway has hosted the World Series ten times, with the Red Sox winning five of them, and the Braves (then of Boston) winning one. The first, in the park's inaugural season, was the 1912 World Series and the most recent was the 2013 World Series. Besides baseball games it has been the site of many other sporting and cultural events including professional football games for the Boston Redskins, Boston Yanks, and the Boston Patriots; concerts; soccer and hockey games; and political and religious campaigns.