405 Washington Ave St. Louis, MO 63102 (314) 231-7220
The Missouri Athletic Club Building, also known as the Missouri Athletic Association Building, is a historic building having Renaissance Revival architecture. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2007.The building is the headquarters of the Missouri Athletic Club. It is located at 405 Washington Avenue, at the corner of Fourth Street, adjacent to the entrance to the Eads Bridge on the Missouri side. The thirteen-story clubhouse designed by William B. Ittner contains four restaurants, a cigar parlor, a ballroom, a barber shop, numerous private meeting rooms, a reading room, a billiard parlor, a rooftop deck, 80 guest rooms, and full-service athletic facilities. The athletic facilities include weight training, a golf practice room, a pro shop, whirlpools, tanning beds, wet and dry saunas, trainers, pros, a masseuse, squash courts, racquetball courts, and handball courts.
Fitness Center Near Missouri Athletic Club Building
We are the premiere women's fitness studio in St. Louis offering fun and flirty fitness classes that cater to EVERY woman. Our goal is to help you lose weight, inches, tone, and tighten like never before; and you'll leave feeling empowered, sexy, fit, and confident!
Visit our website for more information and register TODAY!
Zombie Apocalypse Pilates Army - Downtown LocationDistance: 0.8 miCompetitive Analysis 1528 Locust St St. Louis, MO 63103
For more than 160 years the Y has been a place to be together as a family. The Y has served the community with values-based programs and events that build healthy spirits, minds and bodies for all. Our history has taught us that the Y will always be relevant, as long as we adapt to serve the ever-changing needs of our members. The Gateway Region Y is a nonprofit corporation specializing in health and fitness, work with families, youth camping, values and character building. We are part of the nation's leading nonprofit dedicated to youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Everything we do is designed to nurture the potential of children and teens, improve health and well-being, and motivate people to support their neighbors and communities. Our Y has 24 traditional branches and two Campus Y student leadership organizations. Our Y also includes YMCA Camp Lakewood and Trout Lodge in Potosi, Mo and the Community Services Y in Illinois. The Carondelet Park Rec Complex is owned by the City of St. Louis and operated by the Y. The YMCA of Greater St. Louis and the YMCA of Southwest Illinois merged in 2015 to become the Gateway Region Y.
We are geared for any fitness level and experience. Our programs are designed to develop all general and motor fitness components. Benefits to our programs include improved balance and coordination, reduced anxiety and depression, increased confidence, and renewed vigor, energy and zest for life. Positively influenced fitness components include cardiorespiratory, muscular strength and endurance, flexibility, and lean body composition.
Don't wait another moment. Get started today!
HD Physique is our Bodybuilding, Figure, and Bikini competition training program. This program is for individuals looking to take their fitness and physique to the next level and step on stage as a HD Physique competitor. The world of natural bodybuilding is a challenging but rewarding arena to enter into. This program is not for the faint at heart. Through intense workouts and strict diet one will be able to completely transform their body into a work of art. Competitions consist of 3 different categories: Bodybuilding (Men and Women), Figure (Women), Bikini (Women). Each category presents a different physique criteria. Individuals will work one-on-one with a trainer with their workouts and diet each step of the way leading up to the Competition Day. Coaches are also provided to help with posing as well as all the intimate details involved with making your stage debut.
Laclede's Landing is a St. Louis MetroLink Station. It is located near Laclede's Landing and the Gateway Arch in downtown St. Louis, Missouri. This station is also nearby the headquarters for Metro Transit, the operator of MetroLink and MetroBus. It was one of six MetroLink stations in the Downtown St. Louis Ride Free Zone at lunch time on weekdays prior to the 2009 service reduction.Laclede's Landing station is the easternmost MetroLink station in Missouri, before crossing the Eads Bridge.
Mississippi Nights was a music club in St. Louis, Missouri. It was located at 914 N 1st Street, on the western bank of the Mississippi River, four blocks north of the Gateway Arch in Laclede's Landing.Concerts at the venue, which held up to 1,000 people, were often "all ages" events, with just over one percent restricted to patrons 21 and over.The club is the subject of a song on the They Might Be Giants album Venue Songs. George Thorogood & the Destroyers' album Live: Let's Work Together features tracks recorded at Mississippi Nights.ClosureIn early 2003, rumors began circulating that the club would close to make way for Lumière Place, a new casino development. The rumors were confirmed in early 2007, and the last show was held on January 19, 2007.The last band to play on its stage was The Urge fronted by a band member from Mudworm, which also played. The Urge sold out 93 of 100 shows at Mississippi Nights.
The Courtyard St. Louis Downtown/Convention Center is a historic hotel in downtown St. Louis, Missouri. The 25-story hotel opened on September 2, 1929 as the Lennox Hotel and was the tallest hotel in the city upon its opening. Designed by Preston J. Bradshaw in the Renaissance Revival style, the building features terra cotta faces and cornices. The hotel, along with the Hotel Statler and the Mayfair Hotel, was built as part of a commercial boom in downtown St. Louis in the 1920s. It was the last hotel built in the area before the Great Depression, and another hotel did not open in downtown St. Louis until 1963. The Lennox Hotel eventually closed after newer hotels were built in the 1970s. The hotel was added to the National Register of Historic Places on September 6, 1984.It was renovated in 2002 and reopened as the Renaissance St. Louis Suites Hotel. The hotel was foreclosed in 2009 by its bondholders after it failed to generate enough revenue to cover interest payments. It closed in November 2011. It was sold in December 2013 to Maritz, Wolff & Co., which spent $15 million on a complete renovation. It reopened on September 2, 2015 as the Courtyard St. Louis Downtown/Convention Center.
The Marriott St. Louis Grand Hotel is located in the Washington Avenue Historic District in Downtown St. Louis, Missouri. The hotel was renovated in 2015HistoryThe Hotel Statler St. Louis was designed by George B. Post & Sons and was built in 1917 as part of the Statler Hotels chain. It was the first air-conditioned hotel in the United States. Statler Hotels was bought by Hilton in 1954, soon after the hotel became The Statler Hilton St. Louis. It was sold to Towne Realty Company of Milwaukee in 1966 and renamed The St. Louis Gateway Hotel. The hotel was sold to Denver businessman Victor Sayyah and St. Louis politician Peter J. Webbe in 1981 for $3.2 million. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. The hotel closed for a renovation in 1986, but caught fire on February 12, 1987 and never reopened. The fire was determined to have been deliberately set.The hotel sat empty for over a decade, until the city government pushed for its renovation as part of a 1000-room hotel to serve the adjacent America's Center. Cleanup work began on the hotel in November 1999 at a cost of $5 million. The hotel was then renovated from 2000 to 2002 by Kimberly-Clark and Historic Restoration Inc. at a cost of $265 million. At this time, a new addition,was constructed to the east. It was originally to have had 38 floors but was eventually reduced to match the height of the existing hotel. The hotel was renamed the Renaissance St. Louis Grand Hotel.
The U.S. Custom House and Post Office is a court house in St. Louis, Missouri.It was designed by architects Alfred B. Mullett, William Appleton Potter, and James G. Hill, and was constructed between 1873 and 1884. Located at the intersection of Eighth and Olive Streets, it is one of four surviving Federal office buildings designed by Mullett. The others are the Eisenhower Executive Office Building in Washington, D.C., the Century Post Office in Raleigh, N.C. and the U.S. Custom House in Portland, Me. It is in the Second Empire architectural style popular in the post Civil-War era. Mullett's other Second Empire buildings in Boston, Cincinnati, New York City and Philadelphia have been demolished.DescriptionThe three-story monumental granite building is 234ft long and 179ft deep. It includes a basement, sub-basement and attic level, with 16ft ceilings at the basement levels and 10ft thick foundation walls, which are surrounded by a 25ft deep dry moat for light and ventilation. The basement connects to a tunnel under 8th Street that was used for the delivery of mail to the post office. The basement material is red Missouri granite, while the upper floors are gray granite from Hurricane Island, Maine, between 3ft and 4ft in thickness. The building surrounds a skylit inner courtyard, 48ft by 55ft.
The Wainwright Building is a 10-story red brick office building at 709 Chestnut Street in downtown St. Louis, Missouri. The Wainwright Building is among the first skyscrapers in the world. It was designed by Dankmar Adler and Louis Sullivan in the Palazzo style and built between 1890 and 1891. It was named for local brewer, building contractor, and financier Ellis Wainwright.The building, listed as a landmark both locally and nationally, is described as "a highly influential prototype of the modern office building" by the National Register of Historic Places. Architect Frank Lloyd Wright called the Wainwright Building "the very first human expression of a tall steel office-building as Architecture."The building is currently owned by the State of Missouri and houses state offices.In May 2013 it was listed by a PBS program as one of "10 Buildings That Changed America" because it was "the first skyscraper that truly looked the part" with Sullivan being dubbed the "Father of Skyscrapers."
The Frisco Building is a historic office building in downtown St. Louis, Missouri. The building was built in 1903-04 as the headquarters for the St. Louis - San Francisco Railroad, which was also known as the Frisco. The architecture firm Eames and Young designed the building as well as its 1905-06 addition; the building's subtle ornamentation and its pier and spandrel system were both important developments in skyscraper design. The Frisco occupied the building for almost eighty years after its opening, and in that time played an important role in Missouri's economic development through railroad construction.The Frisco Building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 29, 1983.
The Basilica of Saint Louis, King of France, formerly the Cathedral of Saint Louis, and colloquially the Old Cathedral, was the first cathedral west of the Mississippi River and until 1845 the only parish church in the city of St. Louis, Missouri. It is one of two Catholic basilicas in St. Louis, and it is named for King Louis IX of France, also the namesake for the city of St. Louis.The current structure (built 1831-1834) is located near the historic riverfront of St. Louis, surrounded by but not a part of the Gateway Arch grounds. Because of the historical significance of the church, it was left intact while all neighboring buildings were demolished to make way for the Gateway Arch. The basilica currently serves as a personal parish church rather than a territorial parish church, and therefore ranks 177th of 196 churches in number of Catholics per church in the Archdiocese of St. Louis.However, because of its historical significance (and its location along the Mississippi River near the iconic Arch), the basilica remains a popular church for marriage ceremonies in the archdiocese (ranking second of 196 churches) and a popular tourist destination.HistoryPrevious structuresWhen Pierre Laclède and Auguste Chouteau established the city of St. Louis, they dedicated a plot of land west of Laclède's home for the purposes of the Catholic Church. The earliest Catholic records suggest that a tent was used by an itinerant priest in 1766, but by 1770, a small log house was built on the site. This building, consecrated by the Reverend Pierre Gibault, an itinerant priest, on June 24, 1770, was expanded in 1776 to include a log church. In spite of a more substantial structure, no priest permanently resided in the village of St. Louis until 1811.
The Millennium Hotel St. Louis, more commonly known simply as the Millennium Hotel, is a defunct hotel complex in downtown St. Louis, Missouri that closed in 2014. The lower complex consists of a plaza and several recreational facilities. Two towers, Millennium Hotel Tower I and Millennium Hotel Tower II, make up the hotel space. Tower I is 28 stories tall and was constructed in 1968. Tower II is 11 stories tall and was constructed in 1974. The building is adjacent to the Gateway Arch. Due to its closeness to several well known landmarks of St. Louis, it has become a popular tourist attraction. The hotel has 780 rooms and 19 suites. It also features a restaurant called "Top of the Riverfront", a rotating restaurant on the 28th floor of Tower I.HistoryThe Millennium Hotel was originally known as Stouffer's Riverfront Towers and later as the Regal Riverfront Hotel until it was acquired by Millennium Hotels and Resorts in 1999. For many years it was also known as The Clarion Hotel. It was designed by Tiernan Design and built by William B. Tabler Architects. In 2006, Millennium Hotel and Resorts hired Jay Campbell as the hotel's general manager. It closed in February 2014.As of October 2014, there were plans to renovate and reopen.
The Eugene Field House is a historic house museum at 634 South Broadway in St. Louis, Missouri. Built in 1829, it was the home of Roswell Field, an attorney for Dred Scott in the landmark Dred Scott v. Sandford court case. Field's son, Eugene Field, was raised there and became a noted writer of children's stories. A National Historic Landmark, it is now a museum known as the Eugene Field House & St. Louis Toy Museum.DescriptionThe Field House is located just south of Downtown St. Louis, at the northeast corner of South Broadway and Cerre Street. It is largely surrounded by parking lots, with Interstate 64 a short way to the north. It is a three story brick building, three bays wide, with a side gable roof whose end wall sections are raised. The entrance is in the leftmost bay, in a panelled recess. The windows have stone sills and lintels.HistoryThe house was built in 1845, and was once part of a row of similar buildings called Walsh's Row. Most of these were torn down in the 20th century. Threatened with demolition, the house was transferred to the St. Louis Board of Education in 1936. Restored with funding from local preservationists, it opened as a museum to Eugene Field later that year. It was turned over to the Landmarks Association of St. Louis in 1968, and to the Eugene Field House Foundation in 1981. It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2007, for its association with attorney Roswell Field, who was Eugene Field's father, and a lead attorney for Dred Scott. Field's legal work set the stage for Scott's final appeal to the United States Supreme Court, which was rejected in the 1857 Dred Scott v. Sandford decision, in which Chief Justice Roger B. Taney issued a polemic decision denying African Americans United States citizenship.
The Church of St. Mary of Victories is a historic Roman Catholic church in downtown St. Louis, Missouri in the Chouteau's Landing Historic District south of the Gateway Arch. It was established in 1843, and was the second Catholic Church to be built in the city. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places.HistoryThe church was built to serve the needs of about 500 families who had emigrated from Germany. It is located in the hub of the pioneer "Chouteau's Landing" District, one of the early commercial and residential neighborhoods where the German immigrants settled in pre-Civil War era St. Louis. It took its name from a noted feast day proclaimed by Pope St. Pius V to celebrate the victory of the Christian Navy over Islamic forces in the Battle of Lepanto, off the coast of Italy in the Adriatic Sea in 1571. The church is also a consecrated church (1866) at the direction of Pope Pius IX. It also has an indulgenced High Altar (where hundreds of relics of saints are entombed) bestowed by Pope Leo XIII in the late 19th century.St. Mary's served as the first ethnic parish and spiritual home to the German Roman Catholic population of the city for the next century. It also provided a temporary home to a small community of Lebanese immigrants in the 20th-century, who went on to found a church in their own—present-day St. Raymond Maronite Cathedral in LaSalle Park neighborhood. St. Raymond's is now the Cathedral for the Maronite Eparchy west of the Mississippi River in the USA. Its former Archbishop, Most. Rev. Robert J. Shaheen, built the present St. Raymond's Cathedral under his pastoral administration.The 1950s saw the departure from the city of a large number of the families whose German ancestors had worshiped there. They were replaced by a large community of refugees from Hungary after World War II and the 1956 Hungarian Uprising. They gave new life to the parish, which became unofficially called the "Hungarian Church" (Magyar Templom).
A souped up 1946 Ford Fire Truck selling St. Louis' favorite locally made treats, and offering the best parties on wheels. Contact us for party details, and follow us on twitter to find out our daily specials and activities. PLEASE CALL for information/reservations (314) 601-2038.
St. John Nepomuk Parish Historic District Distance: 1.6 miCompetitive Analysis 1125 Lafayette St. Louis, MO 63104
St. John Nepomuk Parish Historic District is centered on the Catholic parish of St. John Nepomuk in the Soulard neighborhood of St. Louis, Missouri, United States. The historic district is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.HistorySt. John Nepomuk was established as a national Bohemian parish in 1854. It was the first such parish founded in the United States. At one time a Czech language newspaper was published in one of the parish buildings. As the parish grew new church buildings were built in 1873 and 1887. The present church, however, is largely an 1897 reconstruction. The building had been largely damaged in a tornado the previous year. The parish school, which sits across Eleventh Street from the church, was begun in 1869. It was staffed by the School Sisters of Notre Dame. In 1971 the church building and six ancillary buildings were designated a City Landmark in St. Louis and they were listed as an historic district on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The parish was closed in 2005, but the church building has remained active as a chapel.ArchitectureChicago architect Adolphus Druiding designed the Gothic Revival-style church. He is known for the many Catholic churches, schools, rectories and convents that he designed, especially in the Midwestern United States. The exterior of the church is composed of brick, which blends in with the other buildings on Soulard.