For more than 340 years, Old South Church has stood as a progressive, vibrant Christian community grounded in Jesus, alive to the Spirit, and engaged in the adventure of faith. We are an Open and Affirming congregation of the United Church of Christ, welcoming all who seek to journey toward the promised realm of God. Our life together is animated by our belief in the presence of the Living God, whom we come to know through the rhythms of worship, prayer, scripture and learning, generosity, kindness and hospitality.
Old South is a spiritual home to people from all walks and stations of life, believers and questioners, people from a range of backgrounds and faith perspectives. In our worship, we draw on a variety of Christian traditions, from ancient to contemporary. Through a broad and eclectic program of service, outreach, education, and fellowship, we strive to be part of God’s work of mending the world. In all things, we rely upon the healing, unconditional nature of God’s love and grace to be our help and guide.
For more about what to expect at Old South, click http://oldsouth.org/visitors/what-expect
Everyone is welcome to attend church! Our services, on Sundays and Wednesdays, are one hour. Times are as follows:
10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. (no evening services in July or August)
Childcare is provided
Live online service of the 10a.m. service is available:
Sunday school: 10 am
Anyone under 20 may attend
WEDNESDAYS TESTIMONY MEETINGS
Wednesday services: noon and 7:30 p.m.
Childcare is available.
Wednesday Online Service: 2:00 p.m. EST/EDT
Broadcast live via Internet and phone, with an audio replay available for 24 hours. http://christianscience.com/onair
TOUR HOURS (Free!):
Tuesday through Sunday (closed Monday)
Tuesday: 12:00 noon to 4:00 p.m.
Wednesday: 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Thursday/Friday/Saturday: 12:00 noon to 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Group tours and contact information:
With six or more people, you can email or call in advance to Louise M. Alder, tour guiding supervisor: [email protected], 617-450-3244.
Beacon StreetDistance: 1.1 miCompetitive Analysis Beacon street at Gloucester street Boston, MA 02116
John Eliot Square District is a historic district located in the northern Roxbury neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. It is formed by the intersection of Dudley, Bartlett, Centre, Roxbury and Highland Streets. Named after local missionary to the Indians, John Eliot, the square was the site of the Roxbury town center after its founding in 1630. Roxbury was annexed to Boston in 1868, and John Eliot Square was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. The square is the nucleus of Roxbury Heritage State Park, a history-themed heritage park.
The Margaret Fuller Neighborhood House was founded in 1902 as a settlement House providing information and services to help immigrants assimilate into American culture. For over a century, the organization has maintained a grassroots approach to services on a limited budget. Today we provide programs for all ages—from infants to elders. We have a busy food pantry, an out of school time program for children, summer camp, outreach to young adults at risk, heath related programs for seniors and men of color, community organizing, and an open computer center and free technology classes. We host community-wide events, financial, exercise, poetry writing, drumming and other classes and welcome the Area IV community to meetings and local gatherings.
The Frederick Ayer Mansion is a National Historic Landmark on 395 Commonwealth Avenue in the Back Bay neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts.The mansion was the home of Frederick Ayer, owner of the American Woolen Company, and features well preserved design work by Louis Comfort Tiffany. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.Historical significanceThe Ayer Mansion was built in 1900, designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany in a partnership with Alfred J. Manning. It is one of three surviving examples of Tiffany designed interiors. The other two sites are the Samuel L. Clemens (Mark Twain House) in Hartford, Connecticut (1881), and the Ferry House in Seattle, Washington (1903–1906). What makes the Ayer Mansion so unusual is that Tiffany also designed exterior mosaics for the property. The only other building known to have included this feature by Tiffany was his private residence, Laurelton Hall, which was destroyed in a fire in the 1950s. Individual components from Laurelton Hall survive in museums, but the Ayer Mansion is now the only place that has intact in situ interior and exterior components designed by Tiffany. The mansion was sold by the family after Frederick's death in 1918 and converted to office space. The Trimount Foundation and Bayridge Residence and Cultural Center, affiliates of the Roman Catholic Opus Dei organization, purchased the Ayer mansion and adjacent buildings in 1964. They are currently operated as private residential facilities for area college students, although tours are occasionally given of the public spaces where Tiffany-designed elements have been preserved.
Built between 1899 and 1902 for businessman and art collector Frederick Ayer, the Ayer Mansion is the country’s only surviving residence designed entirely by famed American artisan, Louis Comfort Tiffany.
Named a National Historic Landmark in 2005, the Ayer Mansion exemplifies Tiffany’s astounding versatility. At the Ayer Mansion, Tiffany-designed stone and glass mosaics, graceful metalwork, Favrile glass, custom furniture, intricate plaster work, and elaborate stained glass windows all work together to create a masterpiece.
The Boston Young Men's Christian Association was founded in 1851 in Boston, Massachusetts, as the first American chapter of the YMCA.Central Branch; Huntington Ave.The Young Men’s Christian Association of Greater Boston, founded in 1851, was the first YMCA in the United States. The organization began as a modest Evangelical association and, by the late nineteenth century, had become a major social service organization dedicated to improving the lives of young men. With that aim in mind the YMCA held athletic and educational facilities, provided employment services, offered accommodation for young unmarried men, organized summer camps for boys, and served as a place for young men to socialize. In 1911 construction began on a new complex of buildings for the YMCA designed by prominent Boston architectural firm Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge . To meet the diverse needs of the organization, the firm broke the complex into three distinct but interconnected buildings: a seven story administration building, which served as the heart of the complex and faced Huntington Avenue, and the smaller gymnasium and educational buildings, both of which were located to the rear of the complex.Administration buildingThe Administration Building faces Huntington Avenue and is faced with grey brick. It is the most distinctive element of the complex.The ground floor of this building originally held a sumptuous lobby, clad with lavish wood paneling and terrazzo marble floors. The lobby opened into a double height, sky-lit main reception hall, likewise decorated in an elegant fashion. The use of expensive materials in the lobby and reception hall affirmed the status of the YMCA as a well-funded organization and reinforced its intention to cultivate ‘good taste’ among its members. Around the reception hall stood a billiards room, game room, social rooms, and a spa; amenities intended to lure young men away from bars and saloons. A secondary entrance on Huntington Avenue led to Bates Hall, a large auditorium.
The Timothy Hoxie House is an historic house at 135 Hillside Street in Boston, Massachusetts. This two story wood frame house was built in 1854, and is a locally distinctive example of Italianate architecture. It is three bays wide, with each bay a distinct projection from the main block. The central bay is a projecting three-story tower with a hip roof whose cornice is studded with brackets. The right bay has a gable end projection that protrudes even forward of the tower, with a polygonal bay on the first floor and paired round-arch windows on the second. The left bay has a lesser projection, with a shed-roofed porch in front.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.
The Students House is a historic dormitory on 96 Fenway in Boston, Massachusetts. The house was built in 1913 to a design by the Boston firm of Kilham and Hopkins. It was built by an organization of local well-to-do Back Bay residents to provide affordable housing to female students attending area schools. Most of the students housed in its early years attended the New England Conservatory of Music, with its population dominated by other schools after the conservatory opened its own dormitory. It was sold in 1972 to Northeastern University, which uses it to house freshman students, and is referred to as Kerr Hall.The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
The Margaret Fuller House was the birthplace and childhood home of American transcendentalist Margaret Fuller (1810–1850). It is located at 71 Cherry Street, in the Old Cambridgeport Historic District area of Cambridge, Massachusetts, now called the "Area Four" Neighborhood (north of Mass. Ave., between Central and Kendall Squares). The house is now a National Historic Landmark.The three-story, wooden, Federal style house was built in the early 19th century, and was Fuller's home from birth until age 16. In 1902 it became the Margaret Fuller House of Cambridge, a settlement house providing information and services to help immigrants assimilate into American culture. It is now known as the Margaret Fuller Neighborhood House.HistoryFuller's parents, Timothy Fuller and Margaret Crane Fuller, were married in 1809. A few months after the wedding, they bought the three-story, Federal-style house on Cherry Street for the high price of $6,000. The couple's daughter Sarah Margaret Fuller was born in this home on May 23, 1810.Current useToday, the Margaret Fuller House is being used to service the public in the community of Area 4 in Cambridge. It provides a free computer lab, computer classes, a food pantry, after-school services for children, meeting room space for various activities for the public and a daytime summer camp for children. A fundraiser is held every year for the MFNH called the Sweet Soul Supper to help provide money to run these services.
The Alvah Kittredge House is an historic house at 12 Linwood Street in the highlands of the Roxbury neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. The 2-1/2 story Greek Revival mansion was built in 1836 for Alvah Kittredge, a leading real estate developer of the time. It was originally located at the site of the Roxbury Low Fort, a defensive earthworks of the American Revolutionary War, and was moved to its present site after 1896. It was the home of noted Boston architect Nathaniel J. Bradlee for 30 years.The house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and designated a Boston Landmark by the Boston Landmarks Commission in 2016.
The F. A. Kennedy Steam Bakery is an historic bakery at 129 Franklin Street in Cambridge, Massachusetts that first produced the Fig Newton.HistoryThe building was constructed in 1875. Well-known baked goods that originated at the Kennedy Steam Bakery include Fig Newtons and Lorna Doone cookies. The bakery was purchased by Nabisco and later converted into an apartment building that is part of the University Park at MIT development. The Bakery building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
The New Riding Club is an historic building at 52 Hemenway Street in Boston, Massachusetts. Built in 1891 and designed by Willard T. Sears, The Riding Club is an example of Tudor Revival architecture. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1987.Built to utilize the nearby bridle paths of Frederick Law Olmsted's Back Bay Fens, the building was acquired by the Badminton and Tennis Club in 1934, and the interior riding rink was converted to tennis courts. In 1985 the remaining stables were converted to residential apartments.
Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral of New EnglandDistance: 0.7 miCompetitive Analysis 520 Parker St Boston, MA
The Annunciation Greek Orthodox Cathedral of New England is a historic Greek Orthodox Church at 514 Parker Street in Boston, Massachusetts.
The Classical Revival church was designed by Hachadoor Demoorjian and built in 1923; design work of its interior included consultation with noted architect Ralph Adams Cram. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places as Greek Orthodox Cathedral of New England in 1988.
The cathedral is the seat of the Greek Orthodox Bishop of Boston, and served as the headquarters of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston until c. 1973, when it was moved to 162 Goddard Avenue, Brookline, Massachusetts.