The Carnegie Education Pavilion, more often known as the Carnegie Monument, is a marble beaux-arts monument located in Atlanta, Georgia, United States. The pavilion was constructed in 1996 from the exterior facade of the Carnegie Library, named after Andrew Carnegie. The monument pays homage to the legacy of Carnegie by serving as a monument to higher education in Atlanta, with the seals of nine local area colleges and universities embedded in the floor of the monument. The monument was commissioned in 1996 by the Corporation for Olympic Development in Atlanta and designed by Henri Jova. The pavilion is located in Downtown's Hardy Ivy Park, at the curve in Peachtree Street where it intersects with Baker Street. The monument's inscription reads: "The Advancement of Learning." It also features the inscriptions of the names of three famous Western poets "Dante", "Milton", and "Asop", in addition to the library's namesake, "Carnegie".The Carnegie LibraryFrom 1899 to 1901, Andrew Carnegie, the steel magnate and philanthropist from Pittsburgh, donated $145,000 to construct, furnish, and supply a new public library in Atlanta. A site was chosen at 126 Carnegie Way in downtown Atlanta. The library, built by New York architects Ackerman and Ross, opened in 1902. It was renovated in 1950 and 1966, and remained the central library of the system until it was demolished in 1977 in order to make way for the controversial Marcel Breuer-designed Central Library. The architectural bays of the original structure were preserved and used to create the pavilion twenty years after the building's demolition.
Community and Government Near Carnegie Education Pavilion
The CNN Center is the world headquarters of CNN. The main newsrooms and studios for several of CNN's news channels are located in the building. The facility's commercial office space is occupied entirely by CNN and its parent company, Turner Broadcasting System, a subsidiary of Time Warner. The CNN Center is located in Downtown Atlanta, Georgia, adjacent to Centennial Olympic Park.
AmericasMart Atlanta is located in Atlanta, Georgia and is one of the world's largest permanent wholesale trade centers. AmericasMart Atlanta consists of four buildings totaling seven million square feet. The Mart opened in 1957 and hosts several trade shows every year including Market Wednesday, Atlanta Apparel, Atlanta Spring Immediate Delivery, and The Atlanta International Gift and Home Furnishings Market. Trade show exhibitors rent permanent showrooms as well as temporary booths during trade shows. Some permanent showrooms are open daily, though many are open only part of the time or during trade shows. AmericasMart Atlanta is not open to the public and only employees and guests of registered businesses are admitted.StructureAmerica’s Mart Atlanta consists of four buildings, Building One, Building Two, Building Two WestWing, and Building Three. The Mart’s main address is 240 Peachtree Street NW, Suite 2200, which is where the first building is located. Buildings Two and Three are located on Spring Street and Building Two WestWing is located on Williams Street. 24 pedestrian bridges connect the different buildings of the Mart for indoor access between buildings.HistoryA local architect of Atlanta, John C. Portman, designed the Atlanta Mart. The Mart opened in 1957, and Portman has held many positions of leadership since the founding. These include chairman of the board, chief executive officer, and a director. John Portman’s son, Jeffery Portman serves as the President of AMC, Inc., since 1994. AMC is the trading organization which is the parent company of AmericasMart Atlanta. In 1996 Jeffery Portman renamed the trading center AmericasMart, as before it was known as the Atlanta Market Center. He has worked to expand the Mart since his presidency, and is responsible for the Building Two WestWing, which opened in 2009 and is the newest addition.
College Football Hall of FameDistance: 0.5 miCompetitive Analysis 250 Marietta St NW Atlanta, GA 30313
The College Football Hall of Fame is a hall of fame and museum devoted to college football. In August 2014, the College Football Hall of Fame and Chick-fil-A Fan Experience opened in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. Previously located in South Bend, Indiana, the new Hall of Fame is a attraction located in the heart of Atlanta’s sports, entertainment and tourism district, and is adjacent to the Georgia World Congress Center and Centennial Olympic Park.The National Football Foundation (NFF) launched the Hall in 1951 to immortalize the players and coaches of college football. In 2009, Atlanta Hall Management, Inc. partnered with the NFF to construct and operate the new Hall of Fame facility, which will also provide a platform for community outreach, education and character development initiatives, as well as serve as a special event space in Atlanta.When located in South Bend, Indiana, it was connected to a convention center and situated in the city's renovated downtown district, south of the University of Notre Dame campus. This location closed December 30, 2012.
Every great city has a defining district, the heart that pumps life in to the city. In Atlanta, this is Midtown –an extraordinary place where people, business and culture converge to create a live-work-play-learn community with a quality of life virtually unmatched in the Southeast. What makes Midtown unique is the convergence of world-class arts, business, educational and institutional assets all within a safe, walkable environment.
SOCIAL MEDIA POLICY-
Midtown ATL and Midtown Alliance is neither responsible nor does it endorse the contents of any social media sites. As such, the views presented on these social media sites represent participants' personal opinions, and do not necessarily represent the views of Midtown ATL nor Midtown Alliance and its programs. Use of any such linked web sites is at the user's own risk, and no comments, views, or opinions will be treated as confidential or proprietary. Content on this page is intended for entertainment purposes only. Copyright violation is not intended. By posting any text and photographs (including video stills), users agree that the property ownership is shared with Midtown ATL and Midtown Alliance. Reposting content published here is permissible under the conditions citing the source material, hyperlinking to the original post, and published with credit to the photographers. Midtown ATL and Midtown Alliance reserves the right to remove any comments or posts that is deemed inappropriate.
The Boisfeuillet Jones Atlanta Civic Center is a theater located in the SoNo district of Atlanta, Georgia. The theater, which seats 4,600, regularly hosts touring productions of Broadway musicals, concerts, seminars, comedy acts, and high school graduations and commencement ceremonies for Atlanta's John Marshall Law School. In addition to performances, the civic center can host conferences and exhibits as well, with 5,800 square feet (540 m²) of meeting space. The civic center is owned and operated by the Atlanta city government’s Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs, but brings in enough revenue to be self-supporting.The Atlanta Civic Center was built in 1967 on the site of Ripley Street and part of Currier Street in the Buttermilk Bottom slum. It was partly built as the city's convention center, a role now largely filled by the state-run Georgia World Congress Center. It once served as the home of "Theatre of the Stars", a summer series of Broadway musicals featuring well-known stars of the entertainment industry. The Balanchine production of "The Nutcracker" was performed there annually for several years. The Civic Center also served as the site for the 1996 Summer Olympics cultural program.
Civic Center is an elevated metro station in Atlanta, Georgia, serving the Red and Gold lines of the Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) rail system. It is located in Atlanta's SoNo district. This station has seen an increase of faregate totals and ridership in the past years due to the Megabus, which drops off and picks up passengers above the station. Additionally, there has been an increased interest in high-rise buildings in the area.LocationCivic Center station is located in SoNo, a sub-district of Downtown, with convenient access to the southern end of Midtown Atlanta. The station is named after the nearby Atlanta Civic Center three blocks east at Piedmont Avenue NE, Centennial Hill, Emory University Hospital Midtown, Peachtree Summit and SunTrust Plaza skyscrapers to the south. Nearby tourist attractions are Centennial Olympic Park, National Center for Civil and Human Rights, The World of Coca-Cola, and The Georgia Aquarium.
Centennial Tower, formerly 101 Marietta, is a 140m, 36-story skyscraper in downtown Atlanta, Georgia. The building was completed in 1975 and was subsequently renovated in 1998, resulting in a name change, new facade, and chevrons added to the building which increased its original 136m height by 4m. The property is considered a class "A" office building consisting of 600,000 square feet.The U.S. Census Bureau has its Atlanta regional office in Centennial Tower.
GCIV administers the U.S. Department of State’s International Visitor Leadership Program in Georgia. Launched in 1940, the IVLP seeks to build mutual understanding between the United States and other nations through carefully designed professional visits to the U.S. for current and emerging foreign leaders. U.S. ambassadors consistently rank the IVLP as most effective in a long list of public diplomacy tools at their disposal. In 2001 our national network was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts to foster international understanding.
DramaTech Theatre is Georgia Tech's student-run theater. They are also home to Let's Try This! (the campus improv troupe).HistoryEarly historyGeorgia Tech first had a dramatic organization as early as 1913, when a student troupe later known as the Marionettes formed. This group disbanded during World War II and in February 1947, a group of drama enthusiasts on campus met with Glenn James and formed the Georgia Tech Dramatic Club. Their first production, The Drunkard, directed by Jack Pompan, IM '48, was so successful that the English department accredited the fledgling organization enabling it to obtain financial aid from the university system. Members received academic credit from the English department for their involvement. With this impetus, Zenas Sears, a local Atlanta radio personality, became the first professional director of DramaTech and presented a series of one-act plays in the Tech YMCA auditorium in the spring of 1947.For the next several years, DramaTech was a vagabond organization, presenting its plays in a variety of venues, including the YMCA and the Fowler Street School Auditorium. In 1952, with the assistance of architecture classes, DramaTech moved into a new home in the Crenshaw Field House, where it adopted a unique theatre in the round.Unfortunately, this home was impermanent, and DramaTech was forced to move several times in the ensuing years. It occupied temporary stages in the Community Playhouse, an old church at Hemphill and Ferst, and later adjoined to the Robert Ferst Center for the Arts thanks to the work of Dean of Students Emeritus James Dull.