Wood National Cemetery is a United States National Cemetery located in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and is the only national cemetery in Wisconsin. It encompasses, and as of the end of 2005, it had 37,661 interments. It is closed to new interments.HistoryA part of the Clement J. Zablocki Veterans Association Medical Center, the cemetery was established in 1871 as Soldier Home Cemetery to inter the remains of soldiers who died while under care in the medical center. In 1937, it was renamed Wood Cemetery in honor of General George Wood, a long-time member of the Board of Managers for the center. It became a National Cemetery in 1973 and is currently operated by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs.Notable monuments Civil War Soldiers and Sailors monument, a 60' high granite monument erected in 1903.Notable interments Ordinary Seaman James K. L. Duncan, Medal of Honor recipient for service aboard USS Fort Hindman during the Civil War. Private Milton Matthews, Medal of Honor recipient for action in the Third Battle of Petersburg during the Civil War. Boatswain’s Mate Michael McCormick, Medal of Honor recipient for service aboard in the Red River Campaign during the Civil War. Corporal Winthrop D. Putnam, Medal of Honor recipient for action in the Battle of Vicksburg during the Civil War. Private Lewis A. Rounds, Medal of Honor recipient for action in the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House during the Civil War.