129 Fremont Street Experience Las Vegas, NV 89101-5603 (702) 385-7111
The Golden Nugget Las Vegas is a luxury hotel and casino located in Las Vegas, Nevada on the Fremont Street Experience. The property is owned and operated by Landry's, Inc.It is the largest casino in the downtown area, with a total of 2,419 deluxe guest rooms and suites.HistoryThe Golden Nugget was originally built in 1946, making it one of the oldest casinos in the city. Jackie Gaughan at one time owned a stake in the hotel as part of his many downtown properties. Steve Wynn bought a stake in the Nugget, which he increased so that, in 1973, he became the majority shareholder, and the youngest casino owner in Las Vegas. In 1977 he opened the first hotel tower and the resort earned its first four diamond rating from Mobil Travel Guide. It was the foundation for Wynn's rise to prominence in the casino industry. The second hotel tower opened in 1984 along with the showroom, and the third tower was opened in 1989. On May 31, 2000, the Golden Nugget (and all of Steve Wynn's other properties) was sold to Kirk Kerkorian; the consolidated corporation was known as MGM Mirage and has been the largest casino corporation in Las Vegas since that date.Although the Golden Nugget was profitable, it was not part of the master expansion plan of the corporation which was focused on consolidating a long stretch of the Strip by acquiring Mandalay Resort Group, building City Center, and beginning construction in Macau. Gaming revenue on Fremont Street had peaked in fiscal year 1993. The Golden Nugget was sold for $215 million to Poster Financial Group, owned by Timothy Poster and Thomas Breitling in 2004. When Poster Financial assumed control of the Golden Nugget, they began to upgrade the gambling operation by installing new cashless slot machines and by increasing the maximum bet available at table games to $15,000. Their story became the basis for The Casino, a television series on Fox that premiered on June 14, 2004.
Arts and Entertainment Near Golden Nugget Las Vegas
The Las Vegas Club was a casino-hotel located on the Fremont Street Experience at Main in Downtown Las Vegas, Nevada owned by the Tamares Group and operated by the Navegante Group, along with the Plaza Hotel & Casino across the street.History20th centuryThe Las Vegas Club opened in 1930. It installed the first neon sign on a hotel gambling establishment in 1931. It was only the second neon casino sign in the city.The Las Vegas Club was previously on the south side of Fremont Street, mid-way between Main and 1st Street. It was right next to the Northern Club casino, which is now La Bayou casino. In 1949 the Las Vegas Club moved across the street to the site of the Overland Hotel, eventually expanding to its present location at the corner of Fremont and Main.21st centuryOn December 6, 2002, owner Jackie Gaughan agreed to sell the Las Vegas Club and three other casinos, including the Plaza casino and Gold Spike casino, to Barrick Gaming. Barrick was in partnership with the Tamares Group.January 2007 saw the opening of a new poker room in the casino. The room has since closed.
PPC is Filipino cultural event showcasing the rich history and culture of the Philippines. There will be food booths, retail and informational booths. There will also be carnival rides and games. Performing on stage are local bands and artists, dance crews and our featured entertainer this year is Ms. Ai Ai delas Alas. So come and join us for a day filled with fun and laughter!
Glitter Gentlemen's ClubDistance: 0.1 miCompetitive Analysis Fremont Street Experience Las Vegas, NV 89101
La Bayou is a closed casino located on the Fremont Street Experience in Downtown Las Vegas, Nevada.The casino had of gaming space with 125 slot machines. La Bayou was one of the few casinos in Las Vegas where slot machines pay out in coins, rather than vouchers.HistoryThe business opened as the Las Vegas Coffee House.Northern ClubIn 1920 Mayme Stocker renamed it the Northern Club, offering liquor and gaming when both were illegal. "Northern" was a well-known codeword among railroad workers for an establishment serving alcohol.On March 20, 1931, the Northern Club received the first Nevada gaming license. This was also the first gaming license issued to a woman, Mayme Stocker.By 1941, Bugsy Siegel and Dave Stearns were operating the club.Monte Carlo ClubWilbur Clark leased the Northern Club casino in 1945 renaming it the Monte Carlo Club. The Stockers continued to run the Northern Hotel on the second floor.Coin CastleBy 1976, the site was operating as the Coin Castle. Herb Pastor was approved to take over the Coin Castle and the nearby Golden Goose casino in 1977. Pastor would later also own the nearby Sassy Sally's casino and the Girls of Glitter Gulch strip club.La BayouPastor decided in 1999 to move ahead with a renovation plan to transform the Coin Castle and Sassy Sally's into La Bayou and Mermaids, respectively, for a total of $6 million.In 2006, Pastor's son, Steve Burnstine, purchased the two casinos and the strip club.
The California Club operated from 1958 to 1973. Phil Long took over operation of the casino located at the corner of First and Fremont Street in Downtown Las Vegas, Nevada, 1958. The locals casino catered to local gamblers. It was owned and operated by Phil Long and partner George Milford and was a casino only without any hotel rooms. The California Club was sold to Steve Wynn in 1973. The California Club was combined into the Golden Nugget shortly after the purchase by Wynn.Other California ClubsThere were two approved casinos in Reno that were also called California Club.
Neonopolis, a 250000sqft shopping mall, is a $100 million entertainment complex in Las Vegas, Nevada located on top of a $15 million city parking garage. It is located on the Fremont Street Experience, at the corner of Las Vegas Boulevard. In keeping with the complex's name, it contains three miles of neon lights.Developer Rohit Joshi purchased the property in 2006 for $25 million and announced that he intended to rename it Fremont Square, but the name change was never completed. After temporarily closing in 2010 for redevelopment, Neonopolis underwent renovations in 2011 and reopened with new tenants.Three open-air levels surround an outdoor center courtyard with stage, sound and seating. Bands and concerts were scheduled during the summer months during its heyday.Current tenantsDel Prado JewelersDowntown Denny'sFremont Jewelry, Beads, and CrystalFremont Mediterranean Café & Wine BarHeart Attack GrillLovo Cigars and LoungeInternational eateryNBC Telemundo StudiosRockstar Tattoo Toy Shack (As seen on Pawn Stars)Sports Memorabilia (As seen on Pawn Stars) Evaporate hookah loungeBanger BrewingJesse James Celestial ComicsKrave EntertainmentKrave Entertainment, operator of a gay nightclub at Planet Hollywood, opened Drink and Drag, a bowling alley and drag club at Neonopolis, in May 2012. In July, plans were announced for the largest gay club in the world, Krave Massive, to be built in the former Galaxy 11 movie theater, with the first phase to open by the end of the year. As of September 8, 2013 Krave Massive/nightclub has been shuttered due to licensing issues.
The Smith Center for the Performing Arts is located in Downtown Las Vegas's 61-acre Symphony Park and is a five-acre performing arts center consisting of three theaters in two buildings; groundbreaking for the $470 million project was May 26, 2009. The Neo Art Deco design style was chosen by David M. Schwarz to echo the design elements of the Hoover Dam, just 30 miles to the southeast. It also shares design features with the Will Rogers Memorial Center in Fort Worth, Texas. The center features a 17-story carillon tower containing 47 bells and is the first performing arts center in the nation to be Gold LEED certified. It opened on March 10, 2012.The Smith Center features international music, and dance companies and is the home of the Las Vegas Philharmonic and Nevada Ballet Theatre. The Center is under the leadership of President and CEO Myron Martin.HistoryPrior to The Smith Center opening, Las Vegas was one of the largest cities in the country without a performing arts center. Some highly customized production shows and venues have long existed at various resorts on the Las Vegas Strip but none were geared towards the variety of performances that a stand-alone center would provide, such as that required for touring Broadway productions or major symphony orchestras. A smaller performing arts venue at the University of Nevada Las Vegas was inadequate for these purposes.
Las Vegas High School Academic Building and Gymnasium Distance: 0.5 miCompetitive Analysis 315 S 7th St Las Vegas, NV 89101
Las Vegas High School Academic Building and Gymnasium, now the Las Vegas Academy of International Studies and Performing Arts, is an Art Deco building in Las Vegas, Nevada. It represents a subset of the Art Deco style known as "Aztec Moderne", in which Aztec design motifs were used in an overall Art Deco palette of forms and materials. The academic building and the gymnasium are two of the original 3 buildings that were built. The third was destroyed around 1950.Described as the best example of Art Deco in Las Vegas, the school was designed by father-and-son architects George A. Ferris & Son of Reno, Nevada. The stucco-covered reinforced concrete buildings are decorated with a variety of polychrome medallions and friezes depicting animals and plants. The two-story academic building, measuring 208by, is part of a seven-building complex within the larger Las Vegas High School Neighborhood Historic District. The gymnasium is of complementary form and construction, measuring 113by. The gymnasium's entrance is rendered as a stylized Mayan arch. The Academic Building and Gymnasium are linked by the 1952 Humanities Building, which is not regarded as contributing to the historic character of the complex.The Academic Building and Gymnasium were listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 24, 1986. The school became a magnet school for specialized studies in 1993.
The Morelli House is a permanent gift from the Junior League of Las Vegas for the current and future citizens of Nevada. The historically preserved mid-century house was originally built by Antonio Morelli who was the orchestra leader of the Sands Copa Room Orchestra from l954-1972. The League spearheaded the relocation of the structure from the Desert Inn Country Club Estates to the downtown historic district when it was set for demolition to make way for Wynn Resorts in 2001. Recognized as a superb example of mid-century residential architecture and for its significant provenance associated with Antonio Morelli, the house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2012. The physical structure and the interpretive and educational programs it inspires serve to create a sense of place, an appreciation of Las Vegas mid-century history and community pride for all who visit now and in the years to come.
The Moulin Rouge Hotel was a hotel and casino located in the West Las Vegas neighborhood of Las Vegas, Nevada, that is listed on the United States National Register of Historic Places. The first desegregated hotel casino, it was popular with many of the black entertainers of the time, who would entertain at the other hotels and casinos and stay at the Moulin Rouge.Early historyThe Moulin Rouge opened on May 24, 1955, built at a cost of $3.5 million. It was the first integrated hotel casino in the United States. Until that time almost all of the casinos on the Strip were totally segregated—off limits to blacks unless they were the entertainment or labor force.CharacteristicThe hotel was located in West Las Vegas, where the black population lived. West Las Vegas was bounded by Washington Avenue on the north, Bonanza Road on the south, H Street on the west, and A Street on the east. The establishment was a model of eye-catching, 110 rooms, a gorgeous showroom, swimming pool, restaurant/coffee shop, dress-shop, and bar which was constructed of highly polished and expensive hardwoods.References to Paris are numerous: The Eiffel Tower appears vertically on the sign of the establishment, and also on the casino chips, A French Chef is at the head of the largest gastronomic restaurant of the establishments From the entrance, security personnel are dressed in the uniform of the French Foreign Legion (allusion to France and Edith Piaf, who made a comeback after the war with Yves Montand at the Moulin Rouge), which, according to the press, adds a touch of glamour in Las Vegas.
Located at the gateway of Downtown and minutes from the Strip, enjoy savings of 25% to 65% every day at 150 designer and name brand outlet stores. The impressive collection of stores include A|X Armani Exchange, Ann Taylor, Burberry, Calvin Klein, Coach, Cole Haan, Dolce & Gabbana, Elie Tahari, Kenneth Cole, Lacoste, Nautica, Polo Ralph Lauren, Salvatore Ferragamo, St. John, TAG Heuer, Theory, Tory Burch and True Religion.
Huntridge Theater sometimes known as the Huntridge Performing Arts Theater is a Streamline Moderne building located in Las Vegas, Nevada that is listed on the United States National Register of Historic Places. The building was designed by S. Charles Lee.First opened as a cinema, the theater also hosted stage performances and was a concert venue in its last years.HistoryConstruction began with a ground breaking announced in the Las Vegas Review Journal on April 6, 1944. The theater opening on October 10, 1944. It was operated by the Commonwealth Theater Company of Las Vegas, and later the Huntridge Theater Company of Las Vegas. Both companies were headed Thomas Oakey of Las Vegas. The Huntridge Theater Company, which took ownership in 1951, was partially owned by actresses Loretta Young and Irene Dunne. The theater was built on land which had been owned by international business magnate Leigh S. J. Hunt, before he left it to his son Henry Leigh Hunt in 1933. The Huntridge Theater and the surrounding Huntridge subdivision are named after the Hunt family.The theater is said to have been the first non-segregated theater in Las Vegas.The theater was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.On July 28, 1995, the punk rock group Circle Jerks were to perform at the theater. Several hours before they were to arrive, the roof of the theater collapsed. There were no serious injuries. Lead singer Keith Morris would later comment, "As soon as we got there, we were told that the roof had collapsed and the show was canceled. We didn't have anywhere else to go, so we just set up our equipment in the parking lot and played for the 30 or 40 people who were still there."
A Little White Wedding Chapel Distance: 1.1 miCompetitive Analysis 1301 S Las Vegas Blvd Las Vegas, NV 89104
A Little White Wedding Chapel in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, has been the site of many "quickie" celebrity weddings. It is noted for its Drive-Thru Tunnel of Vows. It was established in 1951, and has married about 800,000 couples. It employs ten ministers.Similarly named Las Vegas wedding chapels, such as The Little Church of the West, The Little Chapel by the Courthouse, and the Chapel of the Flowers are often confused with A Little White Wedding Chapel. The Little Chapel by the Courthouse is also owned by We've Only Just Begun Inc., also the owners of A Little White Wedding Chapel. Charolette Richards, the owner, also has had association with the Little Church of the West.Richards has worked at the chapel since the late 1950s. She came into the wedding business after her first husband abandoned her in Las Vegas, and Merle Edwards, who worked in the wedding chapel business, rescued her from the street and soon after became her second husband. He died in 1982. Richards is an ordained minister of a "non-denominational church". She has presided over the marriages of Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Mickey Rooney, Michael Jordan, Britney Spears, Bruce Willis, and Demi Moore.The chapel has been featured on such TV shows as "WWE Raw", Friends and Good Morning America. Michael Ross and Naomi Defensor, two cast members on the 2011 season of The Real World: Las Vegas, participated in a mock wedding at the Chapel during the June 1, 2011 season finale of that series.