235 S Columbus Dr Chicago, IL 60603 (312) 742-4763
James C. Petrillo Music Shell or simply Petrillo Music Shell or Petrillo Bandshell as it is more commonly known, is an outdoor amphitheater/bandstand in Grant Park in the Loop community area of Chicago in Cook County, Illinois, United States. It serves as host to many large annual music festivals in the city such as Chicago Blues Festival, Chicago Jazz Festival, Taste of Chicago and Lollapalooza. It is also the former host of several smaller (less than 10,000) attendance annual events that have moved to the newer Jay Pritzker Pavilion such as the Grant Park Music Festival, Chicago Gospel Music Festival, and Chicago Latin Music Festival. It was formerly located at the South end of Grant Park and was relocated in 1978.The shell was commissioned in 1931 by Mayor of Chicago Anton Cermak in the wake of the Great Depression to help lift the spirits of the citizenry with free concerts. The music shell was named after James C. Petrillo, president of the Chicago Federation of Musicians from 1922 to 1962 and president of the American Federation of Musicians from 1940 to 1958, who created a free concert series in Grant Park in 1935. Petrillo was a commissioner of the Chicago Park District from 1934 to 1945. Until the 1990s, the music shell was known for a traditional Independence Day concert celebration coordinated with the city's fireworks display on July 3.
Community and Government Near Petrillo Music Shell
Jay Pritzker PavilionDistance: 0.3 miCompetitive Analysis Millennium Park, 201 E Randolph St Chicago, IL 60603
Jay Pritzker Pavilion, also known as Pritzker Pavilion or Pritzker Music Pavilion, is a bandshell in Millennium Park in the Loop community area of Chicago in Cook County, Illinois, United States. It is located on the south side of Randolph Street and east of the Chicago Landmark Historic Michigan Boulevard District. The pavilion was named after Jay Pritzker, whose family is known for owning Hyatt Hotels. The building was designed by architect Frank Gehry, who accepted the design commission in April 1999; the pavilion was constructed between June 1999 and July 2004, opening officially on July 16, 2004.Pritzker Pavilion serves as the centerpiece for Millennium Park and is the home of the Grant Park Symphony Orchestra and Chorus and the Grant Park Music Festival, the nation's only remaining free outdoor classical music series. It also hosts a wide range of music series and annual performing arts events. Performers ranging from mainstream rock bands to classical musicians and opera singers have appeared at the pavilion, which even hosts physical fitness activities such as yoga. All rehearsals at the pavilion are open to the public; trained guides are available for the music festival rehearsals, which are well-attended.
Buckingham Fountain is a Chicago landmark in the center of Grant Park. Dedicated in 1927, it is one of the largest fountains in the world. Built in a rococo wedding cake style and inspired by the Latona Fountain at the Palace of Versailles, it is meant to allegorically represent Lake Michigan. It operates from April to October, with regular water shows and evening color-light shows. During the winter, the fountain is decorated with festival lights.HistoryThe fountain is considered Chicago's front door, since it resides in Grant Park, the city's front yard near the intersection of Columbus Drive and Congress Parkway. The fountain itself represents Lake Michigan, with four sets of sea horses (two per set) symbolizing the four states—Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan and Indiana—that border the lake. The fountain was designed by beaux arts architect Edward H. Bennett. The statues were created by the French sculptor Marcel F. Loyau. The design of the fountain was inspired by the Bassin de Latome and modeled after Latona Fountain at Versailles.
20th Annual Chicago SummerDance
Fridays–Sundays, June 24–September 11, 2016
Swing, waltz, cha-cha...or simply enjoy the music at the largest annual outdoor live music and dancing series in the United States. Dancers of all ages and skill levels are invited to take part in introductory, one-hour dance lessons by professional instructors followed by live music and dancing.
The Aon Center is a modern supertall skyscraper in the Chicago Loop, Chicago, Illinois, United States, designed by architect firms Edward Durell Stone and The Perkins and Will partnership, and completed in 1974 as the Standard Oil Building. With 83 floors and a height of 1,136 feet, it is the third tallest building in Chicago, surpassed in height by the Willis Tower and the Trump International Hotel and Tower. The building is managed by Jones Lang LaSalle, which is also headquartered in the building. Aon Center formerly had the headquarters of Aon and Amoco; Aon's US operations are still headquartered here.HistoryConstructionThe Standard Oil Building was constructed as the new headquarters of the Standard Oil Company of Indiana, which had previously been housed at South Michigan Avenue and East 9th Street. When it was completed in 1974 it was the tallest building in Chicago and the fourth-tallest in the world, earning it the nickname "Big Stan". (A year later, the Sears Tower took the title as Chicago's and world's tallest.) The building employs a tubular steel-framed structural system with V-shaped perimeter columns to resist earthquakes, reduce sway, minimize column bending, and maximize column-free space. This construction method was also used for the former World Trade Center towers in New York City.
Marshall Field and Company Building or Macy's at State Street, in Chicago, Illinois, built in 1891-1892, was the flagship location of the Marshall Field and Company, also known as Marshall Field's chain of department stores and, since 2006, is the main Chicago mid-western location of the Macy's (formerly as the R. H. Macy and Company of New York City, now nationwide chain). The building is located in the Chicago "Loop" area of the downtown central business district in Cook County, Illinois, U.S.A., and it takes up the entire city block bounded clockwise from the west by North State Street, East Randolph Street, North Wabash Avenue, and East Washington Street. Marshall Field's established numerous important business "firsts" in this building and in a long series of previous elaborate decorative structures on this site for the last century and a half, and it is regarded as one of the three most influential establishments in the nationwide development of the department store and in the commercial business economic history of the United States. Both the building name and the name of the stores formerly headquartered at this building changed names on September 9, 2006 as a result of the merger of the previous May's Department Stores (Marshall Field's former owner and parent) with the Federated Department Stores which led to the integration of the Marshall Field's stores into the Macy's now nationwide retailing network.
The Everett McKinley Dirksen United States Courthouse, commonly referred to as the Dirksen Federal Building, is a skyscraper in downtown Chicago, Illinois, at 219 South Dearborn Street. It was designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and completed in 1964. The building is 384 feet (117 m) tall, with 30 floors; it was named for U.S. Congressman and Senator Everett Dirksen. The building houses the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, the United States Bankruptcy Court, the United States Marshal for the Northern District of Illinois, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois, and local offices for various court-related federal agencies, such as the Federal Public Defender, United States Probation Service and United States Trustee. It is one of three buildings making up the modernist Federal Plaza complex designed by van der Rohe, along with the U.S. Post Office (Loop Station) and the Kluczynski Federal Building. Separate from the Federal Plaza, but opposite the Kluczynski Building across Jackson Boulevard, is the Metcalfe Federal Building.
The Merle Reskin Theatre is a performing arts venue located in the Loop community area of Chicago, Illinois. Originally named the Blackstone Theatre and now named after Merle Reskin (née Muskal), it was founded in 1910. The Merle Reskin Theatre is now part of DePaul University, although it is still used for events not affiliated with the university. It serves as the home of the Chicago Playworks for Families and Young Audiences series produced by The Theatre School.The building was designed by Marshall and Fox and developed by Tracy C. Drake and John Drake of Drake Hotel fame on the former site of Timothy Blackstone's mansion. The theatre has a rich history of live performances that have traditionally been touring productions of hit and prize-winning shows.BuildingThe architects who designed the new theatre in 1910 were Benjamin Marshall and Charles Fox of the firm Marshall and Fox, who also designed the adjacent Blackstone Hotel in 1909. As with the hotel, the theatre took its name from Timothy Blackstone, whose mansion had previously occupied the site. The original address was on Hubbard Court, which was later renamed Seventh Street, and renamed once again to East Balbo Drive, the current name. The building is six stories tall and built in a French Renaissance style. Constructed only seven years after the Iroquois Theater Fire, the theater was required to be fireproof and the management claimed the auditorium could be cleared in three minutes. Seating capacity was 1,400 people until 1988, when renovations to reinstate the orchestra pit and to create seating for handicapped persons reduced the seat count to 1,325.
One Prudential Plaza is a 41-story structure in Chicago completed in 1955 as the headquarters for Prudential's Mid-America company. At the time, the skyscraper was significant as the first new downtown skyscraper built in Chicago in 21 years . It was the last building ever connected to the Chicago Tunnel Company's tunnel network.When the Prudential was finished it had the highest roof in Chicago with only the statue of Ceres on the Chicago Board of Trade higher. Its mast served as a broadcasting antenna for Chicago's WGN-TV.The architect was Naess & Murphy, a precursor to C.F. Murphy & Associates and later Murphy/Jahn Architects.One Prudential Plaza, along with its sister property, Two Prudential Plaza, was sold in May 2006 for $470 million to BentleyForbes, a Los Angeles-based real estate investment firm, run by C. Frederick Wehba and his family.After a default on the mortgage encumbering the towers during the recession, New York-based investors 601W Companies and Berkley Properties, represented by New York law firm Olshan Frome Wolosky LLP took control of the towers after investing more than $100 million in equity to recapitalize. BentleyForbes, the prior controlling owner of the towers, continues to have an interest in the owning partnership.
The Buckingham offers residents a better living experience in a modern high-rise building located in the heart of Chicago. The vintage charm of a 1929 Art Deco National Landmark building, renovated with all of the modern amenities that an academic year student or summer housing intern expects in high-end living. Environmentally friendly, the Buckingham is Energy Star Certified, promotes green practices and uses eco-friendly cleaning supplies for the health of our residents and the environment.
Apartment-style living, all-inclusive amenities, competitively priced rates, individual leases, our professional on-site management team, and 24/7 secure access are what make the Buckingham stand apart from other area student housing.
The Buckingham’s unbeatable location is within walking and biking distance to Chicago’s top colleges and universities.
Spirit Of Music Garden, Grant ParkDistance: 0.4 miCompetitive Analysis 601 S Michigan Ave Chicago, IL 60605
The Auditorium Building in Chicago is one of the best-known designs of Louis Sullivan and Dankmar Adler. Completed in 1889, the building is located at the northwest corner of South Michigan Avenue and Congress Street (now Congress Parkway). The building, which when constructed was the largest in the United States and the tallest in Chicago, was designed to be a multi-use complex, including offices, a theater and a hotel. As a young apprentice, Frank Lloyd Wright worked on some of the interior design.The Auditorium Theatre is part of the Auditorium Building and is located at 50 East Congress Parkway. The theater was the first home of the Chicago Civic Opera and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. It currently hosts the season performances of the Joffrey Ballet.The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 17, 1970. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1975, and was designated a Chicago Landmark on September 15, 1976. In addition, it is a historic district contributing property for the Chicago Landmark Historic Michigan Boulevard District. Since 1947, the Auditorium Building has been part of Roosevelt University.
340 on the Park is a residential tower in the Lakeshore East development of the neighborhood of New Eastside/ East Loop Chicago and was completed in 2007. The building briefly surpassed 55 East Erie as the tallest all-residential building in Chicago. It is currently the second tallest all-residential building in Chicago (One Museum Park being the current tallest) at 672 feet (205 meters) with 62 floors.The architectural firm Solomon Cordwell Buenz designed the tower and it was built by Magellan Development. The structural engineering firm Magnusson Klemencic Associates designed the building using Post-Tensioning in order increase the floor-to-ceiling heights. James McHugh Construction Co installed post tensioning tendons supplied by Amsysco Inc.The tower is located in the Lakeshore East complex which, when completed, will house thousands of residents. 340 on the Park is set flush next to Randolph Street, allowing unobstructed views of Millennium Park, Grant Park, The Park at Lakeshore East and Lake Michigan. The tower's design also allows for nearby buildings to maintain some views of the park.
Crown Fountain is an interactive work of public art and video sculpture featured in Chicago's Millennium Park, which is located in the Loop community area. Designed by Catalan artist Jaume Plensa and executed by Krueck and Sexton Architects, it opened in July 2004. The fountain is composed of a black granite reflecting pool placed between a pair of glass brick towers. The towers are 50ft tall, and they use light-emitting diodes (LEDs) to display digital videos on their inward faces. Construction and design of the Crown Fountain cost $17 million. The water operates from May to October, intermittently cascading down the two towers and spouting through a nozzle on each tower's front face.Residents and critics have praised the fountain for its artistic and entertainment features. It highlights Plensa's themes of dualism, light, and water, extending the use of video technology from his prior works. Its use of water is unique among Chicago's many fountains, in that it promotes physical interaction between the public and the water. Both the fountain and Millennium Park are highly accessible because of their universal design.
Die Crown Fountain ist eine interaktive, öffentliche Kunst- und Video-Skulptur in Chicagos Millennium Park im Chicago Loop. Entworfen wurde sie von dem katalanischen Künstler Jaume Plensa und von Krueck and Sexton Architects ausgeführt. Sie wurde im Juli 2004 eröffnet. Der Brunnen besteht aus einem reflektierenden Pool aus schwarzen Granit, der zwischen einem Paar von Glasbausteintürmen platziert ist. Die Türme sind 15,2 Meter hoch und verwenden Leuchtdioden, um digitale Videos von Gesichtern von innen nach außen projiziert zu zeigen. Aus den Mündern der projizierten Gesichter wird in regelmäßigen Abständen nach Art antiker Wasserspeier Wasser gespieen. Der Brunnen ist ein öffentlicher Spielplatz und erlaubt es Kindern und Erwachsenen, im Brunnen zu plantschen und sich vom Wasserspeier bespritzen zu lassen.Gestaltung und AufbauDer Aufbau und die Gestaltung des Brunnen kostete 17 Millionen USD. Sofern es das Wetter erlaubt, ist das Wasserspiel von Mai bis Oktober in Betrieb. Der Brunnen wurde von Nutzern und Kritikern für seine künstlerische Gestaltung und seine Entertainment-Funktionen gelobt. Die Verwendung des Wassers ist einzigartig unter den vielen Brunnen Chicago und fördert die physische Interaktion zwischen dem Betrachter und dem Kunstwerk.VideoclipsFür die Projektionen der Videoclips wurden etwa 1.000 Einwohner Chicagos aufgenommen. Etwa 75 ethnische, soziale und religiöse Organisationen wurden gebeten, Kandidaten für die Videoclips vorzuschlagen. Die Dreharbeiten begannen im Jahr 2001 auf dem Campus der School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Jedes Gesicht erscheint auf der Skulptur für insgesamt fünf Minuten. Ein 40-Sekunden-Abschnitt wird mit einem Drittel der normalen Geschwindigkeit vorwärts und rückwärts gespielt und läuft für insgesamt vier Minuten. Dann gibt es ein nachfolgendes Segment, wobei der Mund runzelt, das auf 15 Sekunden ausgedehnt wird. Schließlich folgt ein Abschnitt, bei dem aus dem offenen Mund Wasser gespritzt wird.
Jay Pritzker Pavilion Distance: 0.3 miCompetitive Analysis Millennium Park, 201 E Randolph St Chicago, IL 60603
Le pavillon Jay Pritzker, aussi appelé pavillon Pritzker ou pavillon de musique Pritzker est un immense kiosque à musique situé au centre du Millennium Park, dans le secteur communautaire du Loop à Chicago, dans l'État de l'Illinois aux États-Unis. Il est situé au sud du théâtre Harris, à l'ouest de la passerelle BP, au nord de Lurie Garden, et à l'est de l'AT&T Plaza .Le pavillon, conçu par l'architecte Frank Gehry, a été construit entre juin 1999 et juillet 2004, et il a été officiellement inauguré le 16 juillet 2004. Il est baptisé en l'honneur de l'homme d'affaires et milliardaire Jay Pritzker dont la famille, originaire de Chicago, est connue pour posséder la chaîne d'hôtels de luxe Hyatt. La famille Pritzker fit don d'environ 15 millions de dollars pour financer le projet de construction de la structure, soit environ le quart du coût total des travaux.
CNA Center is a 600-ft, 44-story high-rise building located at 333 South Wabash Avenue in the Loop Community Area of Chicago.DescriptionCNA Center is a simple, rectangular International Style building, but it is unique in that the entire building was painted bright red by Eagle Painting & Maintenance Company, Inc., turning an otherwise ordinary-looking structure into one of the most eye-catching buildings in the city. It was designed by the firm of Graham, Anderson, Probst & White and was completed in 1972.OccupantsAs of 2014, CNA occupied 65 percent of the tower. Other occupants included The Chicago Housing Authority and United Way.HistoryOriginally known as Continental Center III, in reference to the original moniker of CNA Financial Corporation, Continental National American Group, both CNA Center (formerly CNA Plaza) and the neighboring CNA Center North (Continental Center II, built in 1962) adjoined and were painted red. The shorter red building was later restored to its original gray tone. The two buildings remain joined at the second floor: CNA's Conference Center uses space on that floor, but all entrance and egress to it is through CNA Center.In 1999, a large fragment of a window fell from the building and killed a woman walking with her child. Windows had been cracking at the building ever since it had been built in 1975. CNA Financial, a property insurance company, later paid $18 million to settle the resultant lawsuit. All of the building's windows were replaced in an expensive retrofit.
Maggie Daley Park ice skating ribbon is a seasonal public ice skating surface in the Maggie Daley Park section of Grant Park in the Loop community area of Chicago, which is bounded by Columbus Drive, Randolph Street, Monroe Street and Lake Shore Drive. The ice skating ribbon opened on December 13, 2014, along with the park. The rink extends for 1/4mi mile and has a capacity of 700 skaters. In the summer, the rink will serve as a walking path. The rink features changes in elevation, which give it an incline and decline.On November 20, 2014, the city announced that the ice skating ribbon would open on an undetermined date in December with free admission and $12 skate rentals, which was the same price structure as was being used at McCormick Tribune Plaza & Ice Rink at the time, although other outdoor public skating rinks in the Chicago Park District charged a $3 admission for adults but had lower rental fees. Lockers are also available for rental for a nominal fee at the skating ribbon. Among the numerous rules for the skating ribbon is a ban on the use of smartphones while skating. In the first month, 28,000 skate rentals generated over $300,000 for the city.The rink is closed for one-hour periods during which the ice is resurfaced by a zamboni machine. Because of the inconvenience of frequent lengthy closure periods, the Park announces the skating schedule and resurfacing schedule daily via a dedicated Maggie Daley Park Zamboni Twitter account, @MDPZamboni, that was created on December 29.
Known for its artistic creativity, the Chicago Jazz Festival is a favorite Labor Day Weekend tradition. It promotes awareness and appreciation for all forms of jazz through free, quality live musical performance. Since 1979, the festival's mission is to showcase Chicago's vast jazz talent alongside national and international artists to encourage and educate a jazz audience of all ages. FREE Admission. Millennium Park, 201 E. Randolph Street.
August 31-September 3, 2017
Columbia College Chicago is an independent, non-profit liberal arts college specializing in arts and media disciplines, with approximately 9,500 students pursuing degrees in 65 undergraduate and 15 graduate degree programs. Founded in 1890, the school is located in the South Loop district of Chicago, Illinois. It is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.Columbia College Chicago is the host institution of several affiliated educational, cultural, and research organizations, including the Center for Black Music Research, the Center for Book and Paper Arts, the Center for Community Arts Partnerships, the Dance Center of Columbia College Chicago, the Museum of Contemporary Photography, and the Sherwood Community Music School.Columbia College Chicago is not affiliated with Columbia University, Columbia College Hollywood, or any other Columbia College in the United States.Academic programsThe School of Fine and Performing Arts is composed of nine departments: Art & Design; Arts, Entertainment & Media Management; Dance; Dance Movement Therapy & Counseling; Music; Photography; Sherwood Conservatory; and Theater.The School of Liberal Arts and Sciences is composed of six departments: ASL-English Interpretation; Creative Writing; Education; English; Humanities, History, and Social Sciences; and Science and Mathematics. It is also home to the First-Year Seminar, the LAS Core Curriculum, the college's Honors Program, the Center for Community Arts Partnerships, and the Ellen Stone Belic Institute for the Study of Women and Gender in the Arts and Media. The School of Media Arts is composed of eight departments: Audio Arts & Acoustics; Cinema Arts & Sciences; Interactive Arts & Media; Interdisciplinary arts; Journalism; Marketing Communication; Radio; and Television. The university has newly added a School of Business & Entrepreneurship that will host majors like marketing and management.
The Buckingham, formerly known as Buckingham Plaza, is a 44-story all-residential condominium designed by Fujikawa Johnson & Associates. Located on East Randolph Street in Chicago, Illinois, the building sits between the new 340 on the Park building to its west and the older Outer Drive East building to its east. Two parks, Millennium Park and Lakeshore East Park, are immediately located to The Buckingham's south and north faces respectively. It is one of the few buildings that predates the new surrounding Lakeshore East development in the New Eastside neighborhood.There are 7 rooms located on every residential floor of the building for a total of 306 units total. An indoor pool, sauna, laundry room, fitness center and open roof deck are located on the top floor. The Buckingham has 3 high-speed elevators that run the length of the building plus one elevator that runs from the first floor to each floor of the 4-story underground parking garage.Position in Chicago's skylineThe Buckingham is east of 340 on the Park. It appears (unlabelled) in front of Park Tower (Chicago) in the diagram below.
The Harold Washington Library Center is the central library for the Chicago Public Library System. It is located just south of the Loop 'L', at 400 S. State Street in Chicago, in the U.S. state of Illinois. It is a full-service library and ADA compliant. As with all libraries in the Chicago Public Library system, it has free wifi internet service. The building contains approximately 756000sqft of space. The total square footage is approximately 972000sqft including the rooftop garden penthouse, according to the Zoning department of the city of Chicago.
The Heritage at Millennium Park, located at 130 N. Garland Court in Chicago, Illinois is a mixed-use tower. Completed in 2005, with a height of 631 feet and 57 floors, the building was designed by the architectural firm Solomon Cordwell Buenz (architects of Legacy Tower as well). It is the 36th-tallest building in Chicago. In what is becoming common practice with newer buildings, the Heritage preserves and makes use of the façades of four existing buildings in its base.The Heritage is located directly to the west of Millennium Park, with unobstructed views of Millennium Park, parts of Grant Park, and Lake Michigan. It is directly opposite the Marshall Field and Company Building on Wabash Avenue. It has a private indoor pool, health club, dog run, party room, rooftop deck, and indoor parking. The tower is included in the extensive downtown underground pedway system. In addition to condominiums, the Heritage also contains ground floor retail space.TriviaIt was said that Mayor Richard M. Daley was considering moving to the tower, but later decided to stay put in his South Loop residence as noted in an article in the Chicago Tribune in November 2005.According to the 2000 census, 16,388 people live in the Loop. More recently, 60602 was named by Forbes as the hottest zip code in the country, with upscale buildings such as the Heritage at Millennium Park leading the way for other buildings such as Waterview Tower, The Legacy at Millennium Park and Momo. The median sale price for residential real estate was $710,000 in 2005 according to Forbes. The average sale price at the Heritage in 2006 was $1.283 million according to data from the MLS and Rubloff.
Two Prudential Plaza is a 64-story skyscraper that was built in the Loop area of Chicago, Illinois, United States in 1990. At 995 feet (303 m) tall, it is currently the sixth-tallest building in Chicago and the seventeenth tallest in the United States, being only 5 feet from 1000 feet. The building is also currently the tallest building in the world that is under 1000 feet tall. The building was designed by the firm Loebl, Schlossman & Hackl, with Stephen T. Wright as the principal in charge of design. It has been honored with 8 awards, including winning the Best Structure Award from the Structural Engineers Association of Illinois in 1995.At the time of completion Two Prudential was the world's tallest reinforced concrete building. Its distinctive shape features stacked chevron setbacks on the north and south sides, a pyramidal peak rotated 45°, and an 80-foot (24 m) spire.The building is attached to One Prudential Plaza (formerly known as the Prudential Building). Without its spire, the building's height is still slightly greater than that of One Prudential Plaza's pinnacle.Two Prudential Plaza, along with its sister property One Prudential Plaza, was sold in May 2006 for $470 million to BentleyForbes, a Los Angeles-based real estate investment firm run by Carl Frederick Wehba and his son Carl Frederick Wehba II.
Flamingo, created by noted American artist Alexander Calder, is a 53ft tall stabile located in the Federal Plaza in front of the Kluczynski Federal Building in Chicago, Illinois, United States. It was commissioned by the United States General Services Administration and was unveiled in 1974, although Calder's signature on the sculpture indicates it was constructed in 1973.AttributesFlamingo weighs 50 tons, is composed of steel, and is vermilion in color. Calder gave the stabile its color, which has come to be called "Calder red", to offset it from the black and steel surroundings of nearby office buildings, including the Ludwig Mies van der Rohe-designed Kluczynski Federal Building. The stabile is an art form which Calder pioneered. It is an abstract structure that is completely stationary, as opposed to a mobile, which can move with air currents. In 2012, the sculpture was repainted using the historic "Calder Red" color.Commissioning and unveilingCalder was commissioned to design the sculpture because of his well-established international reputation; the space, surrounded by rectangular modern buildings, necessitated the kind of arching forms and dynamic surfaces that a large-scale Calder stabile could provide. Flamingo was the first work of art commissioned by the General Services Administration under the federal Percent for Art program, which allocates a percentage of a project's budget to public art. Calder unveiled the model for Flamingo on April 23, 1973 at the Art Institute of Chicago; the sculpture was presented to the public for the first time on October 25, 1974, at the same time that Calder's Universe mobile was unveiled at what was then known as the Sears Tower (now the Willis Tower). The day was proclaimed "Alexander Calder Day" and featured a circus parade.
Built in 1972, Harbor Point Condominiums is a residential and commercial building in Chicago, Illinois, United States, on Lake Michigan. It was the first original condominium building in the city.OverviewStanding nearly 168m with 54 floors, it is among the tallest buildings in Chicago.The building has views of both Grant and Millennium Parks and sits on Chicago's Monroe Harbor.Residents of the 742 units have access to the amenities such as an indoor pool and hot tub, outdoor sun deck, work-out facility, indoor basketball and racquetball courts, a hobby room for messy projects, a lounge with free wi-fi, an indoor children's playroom, two large hospitality rooms, private outdoor garden and park, valet parking and full-time doormen and security.The building has 22 commercial businesses, primarily located on the lower level such as a dry cleaner, grocery store, and realty agents.
Swissôtel Chicago is a luxury hotel in downtown Chicago, Illinois. Its location provides access to several of Chicago's well-known features, including the Loop business district, the Magnificent Mile upscale retail district, and the confluence of the Chicago River and Lake Michigan.RiverwalkThe hotel is adjacent to the Chicago Riverwalk, construction of which began in 2011, and is slated for completion in 2016. By the time it is finished, it will span nine city blocks. The Chicago Riverwalk contains seating areas, restaurants, shops, residential buildings, landscaping and water features, and offers activities such as boat and kayak rentals.ArchitectureSwissôtel Chicago was designed by renowned Chicago architect, Harry Weese, who is perhaps best known as the designer and architect of the Metro system in Washington, D.C., and of the Time-Life Building in Chicago.The hotel is triangle-shaped, glass, and stands 45 floors, and 457.01ft tall, but 12 of them (Floors 32-43) are in rush hours (it means that in regular times it will be as high as floor 31), offering views of the city, the Chicago River, or Lake Michigan, depending on the side of the hotel.
The Carbide & Carbon Building is a Chicago landmark located at 230 North Michigan Avenue. The building, which was built in 1929, is an example of Art Deco architecture. It was designed by Burnham Brothers. The Carbide and Carbon Building was originally home to the regional office of Union Carbide and Carbon Co., which later became Union Carbide Corp. The skyscraper was designated a Chicago Landmark on May 9, 1996. Built as a high-rise office tower, the Carbide & Carbon Building was transformed more recently into the Hard Rock Hotel Chicago; work on the renovation began in 1998 and was completed in 2004. The conversion was directed by Lucien Lagrange & Associates. The building has 37 floors and is 503ft tall. The current hotel capacity is 383 guest rooms and 13 suites.DescriptionThe exterior of the building is covered in polished black granite, and the tower is dark green terra cotta with gold leaf accents. The use of stylized representations of leaves on the building's exterior was an intentional reference by the architects to the prehistoric origins of subterranean carbon deposits in the decay of ancient plants. The ground floor was specifically designed to display the products of Union Carbide and Carbon's subsidiaries. The lobby features black Belgian Marble and Art Deco bronzework trim. The exterior base is black granite with black marble and bronze trim, whereas the central shaft is clad in dark green and gold terra cotta and the greenish cap (which looks from a distance like malachite but is not) is trimmed in gold leaf.
The Lakeside Press Building is a historic commercial building located at 731 S. Plymouth Ct. in downtown Chicago, Illinois. The building served as a showroom, office, and printing press for the Lakeside Press. The building was built in two stages; the southern half was completed in 1897, while the northern half was finished in 1901. Architect Howard Van Doren Shaw designed the building, his first design of a commercial building. Shaw's design features limestone quoins, piers, and decorations, curtain walls with cast iron spandrels on the floors housing the printing presses, and a projecting cornice.The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on June 23, 1976.The building is now used as student housing for Columbia College and is not open for tours or visitors.
The Crane Company Building is a skyscraper located at 836 S. Michigan Ave. in the Loop community area of Chicago, Illinois. The twelve-story building was designed by Holabird & Roche and built in 1912. The steel frame skyscraper was designed in the Classical Revival style, and its exterior design is split into three sections. The first and second floors are faced in limestone and feature piers supporting a cornice; the third floor is also covered in limestone. The fourth through eleventh floors are constructed in red brick; windows on these floors feature terra cotta keystones and sills, and the eleventh floor is capped by a terra cotta cornice. The twelfth floor is decorated in terra cotta panels which incorporate Crane Company valves in their design; this floor is also topped by a cornice.The building originally housed offices for the Crane Company, which manufactured plumbing and heating equipment. The Crane Company played a significant role in both the Chicago economy, where it was a major employer of industrial workers, and the national manufacturing landscape, where it was considered "the United States' leading manufacturer" of iron and brass plumbing and heating fixtures. Due to the demolition of the Crane Company's factories and its early leaders' homes, the Crane Company Building is now the most significant landmark in Chicago associated with the company. After the Crane Company left the building in 1960, it was converted to a residential property.