Saint Louis Ballpark Village is a dining and entertainment district adjacent to Busch Stadium where the St. Louis Cardinals play in downtown St. Louis, Missouri, occupying the site of the previous Busch Stadium. Situated on the 200 and 300 blocks of Clark Street across from Busch Stadium, the $100 million first phase of Ballpark Village consists of 150000sqft of retail shops, restaurants, entertainment venues and 720 parking spaces. As BPV's name and locale suggest, it is designed to be an extension of Busch Stadium and an innovative approach to creating a neighborhood – hearkening to Chicago's own Wrigleyville district next to Wrigley Field – and vitalize downtown St. Louis' economic potential. The project offers over 200+ events annually instead of only the 81 days of Cardinals home games, make the region more of a focal point in the Midwest, and enhance the ballpark goers' experience.The first main phase of construction was completed in time for Opening Day of the 2014 Major League Baseball season. The Cardinals Hall of Fame and Museum and Cardinals Nation Restaurant, Fox Sports Midwest Live! Restaurant, the Budweiser Brew House, and PBR St. Louis all comprised the first phase. The primary developer is the Cordish Company of Baltimore, Maryland.
The Gateway Arch Experience offers a wealth of fun activities for out-of-towners and local visitors alike, especially families. Attractions include the Gateway Arch, Old Courthouse, Gateway Arch Riverboats, Gateway Helicopter Tours, and activities, events and special exhibits created by the National Park Service, as well as other partners.
The Old St. Louis County Courthouse was built as a combination federal and state courthouse in St. Louis, Missouri. Missouri's tallest habitable building from 1864 to 1894, it is now part of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial and operated by the National Park Service for historical exhibits and events.HistoryLand for the courthouse was donated in 1816 by Judge John Baptiste Charles Lucas and St. Louis founder Auguste Chouteau Lucas and Chouteau required the land be "used forever as the site on which the courthouse of the County of St. Louis should be erected." The Federal style courthouse was completed in 1828.It was designed by the firm of Lavielle and Morton, which also designed the early buildings at Jefferson Barracks as well as the Old Cathedral. Lavielle and Morton was the first architecture firm west of the Mississippi River above New Orleans. As street commissioner in 1823–26 Joseph Laveille devised the city's street name grid, with ordinal numbers for north-south streets and arboreal names for the east-west streets.Missouri became a state in 1821, and the St. Louis population tripled in 10 years. A new courthouse was soon needed. In 1839 ground was broken on a courthouse designed by Henry Singleton in the Greek Revival style, with four wings, including an east wing that comprised the original courthouse and a three-story cupola dome at the center.
Laclède's Landing is a small urban historic district in St. Louis, Missouri, United States. It marks the northern part of the original settlement founded by the Frenchman Pierre Laclède, whose landing on the riverside the placename commemorates. The buildings in the area date from later periods, however.Located just north of the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial park (separated by the overland spans of the Eads Bridge) on the Mississippi River front, the Landing is a multi-block collection of cobblestone streets and vintage brick-and-cast-iron warehouses dating from 1850 through 1900, now converted into shops, restaurants, and bars. The district is the only remaining section of St. Louis' 19th-century commercial riverfront.TransportationLaclède's landing has many cobblestone streets. It is adjacent to the Eads Bridge, and Interstate Highway 44 (I-44 does not run over the Eads Bridge). On the Eads Bridge there is the Arch-Laclede's Landing MetroLink Stop. Laclède's Landing once housed Metro's (the local transit agency) headquarters.In popular cultureAlternative rock band Wilco references the Landing in "Heavy Metal Drummer", a song off the 2002 album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Although now based in Chicago, Wilco was initially based in St. Louis and cut their teeth in rock clubs in and around the landing. Frontman Jeff Tweedy grew up in nearby Belleville.
The Shrine of St. Joseph is a Catholic church in St. Louis, Missouri in Columbus Square. The church began in 1843 when the Jesuits founded the parish to serve the residential community consisting mostly of German immigrants. The church is the site of the only authenticated miracle in the Midwestern United States.History1846–1866After founding the parish in 1843, the Jesuits immediately instituted to build a church. Mrs. Ann Biddle a wealthy widow, known for her many philanthropic deeds, donated the land for the new church. The cornerstone for the new church was blessed by Bishop Kenrick on April 14, 1844. The completed building was a modest building faced west toward 11th Street was dedicated on the first Sunday in August, 1846 with Father James Van de Velde, later Bishop of Chicago, officiating.Soon St. Joseph parish was a very active community. In 1862 a large parish school was built nearby, to care for the many children of the area. The School Sisters of Notre Dame staffed the school.1866–1880Just at this time a Jesuit missionary, Father Francis Xavier Weninger, came to St. Joseph's to preach.Over the years the parish grew, it became obvious that the original church was no longer large enough to serve the congregation. It was decided to build a large addition to the old building and to revise the structure so that the entrance faced on Biddle Street. Bishop Kenrick laid the cornerstone for this second St. Joseph in 1865.
The Cotton Belt Freight Depot in St. Louis, Missouri at 1400 North 1st Street. It is listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places in 2004. The five-story freight depot was constructed in 1911. Its most distinctive feature is its long, narrow shape. The concrete building is approximately 750' on its east and west elevations and only 30' on the north and south. The five stories include a series of loading dock doors on both sides that are sheltered by a concrete awning. Widely spaced metal-frame industrial type windows line the upper stories. A slightly taller cornice line marks the section of the building where the company offices were located. Most of the building's detail is reserved for this section where the company's name is displayed in two levels over a bay window.Other details include terra cotta medallions on the corners bearing the name "Cotton Belt Route"; a Classical style frame around the office door; keystones that decorate the windows near the building's north end; and copper lion's heads that join the awning poles to the building. The depot is vacant and graffiti litters its walls but the building retains integrity of design, workmanship, setting, and association.Direct link to National Register nomination document: http://dnr.mo.gov/shpo/nps-nr/04000344.pdfActivities and CultureArticaSince 2002, the Cotton Belt Freight Depot has been the usual location of Artica, an annual grassroots outdoor and multidisciplinary arts festival."Migrate" MuralWork is underway to utilize the depot's distinctive eastern wall for a large scale mural; a renovation that intends to transform the site into a welcoming visage for those traveling entering the state via the upcoming Mississippi River bridge.
Coming to St. Louis Union Station in Fall 2018.
LODGING HOSPITALITY MANAGEMENT ANNOUNCES THE NEXT PHASE OF DEVELOPMENT AT ST. LOUIS UNION STATION
The St. Louis Aquarium to Make a Splash in 2018
ST. LOUIS — August 9, 2016 — Something fishy is happening at St. Louis Union Station.
Today, Lodging Hospitality Management (LHM) announces the next phase of development at the National Historic Landmark train station in downtown St. Louis — the St. Louis Aquarium.
Construction is planned to begin in fall 2016 with an anticipated completion in fall 2018.
“All of us at LHM are excited to bring this highly anticipated attraction to St. Louis,” says Bob O’Loughlin, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Lodging Hospitality Management and owner of St. Louis Union Station. “The St. Louis Aquarium will anchor the development that will transform St. Louis Union Station and reposition it as a family attraction destination similar to Chicago’s Navy Pier.”
The 75,000-square-foot St. Louis Aquarium will be located in the former mall area within St. Louis Union Station. The $45 million attraction will feature one-of-a-kind exhibits and tanks with one million gallons of water housing thousands of aquatic species.
A shark tank holding one of the largest collections of sharks in the Midwest will be a highlight of the new attraction. The exhibit will feature a Shark Bridge, a unique V-shaped rope bridge that will suspend visitors just inches above the 385,000-gallon shark-filled tank. For guests brave enough to walk across, the Shark Bridge will offer a thrilling vantage point above the sharks, stingrays and hundreds of fish.
The attraction will be open 365 days a year from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. One million visitors are expected annually.
The St. Louis Aquarium will be an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA) which holds members to the highest standards in animal care and exhibition. The facility will employ an animal husbandry team of marine biologists and aquarists responsible for the long-term care of the animals in the exhibit as well as overseeing water chemistry, animal nutrition, veterinary care, education, staffing and safety.
The aquarium will be an exceptional educational experience for school groups and an entertainment destination for local and out-of-town visitors. An 8,500-square-foot private event space will feature the Shark Tank as a backdrop for weddings, social events and corporate parties.
The St. Louis Aquarium will be part of a $70 million family entertainment complex located at St. Louis Union Station. Other components will include the previously announced St Louis Wheel, a 200-foot-high observation wheel with 30 fully enclosed, climate-controlled and ADA-compliant gondolas that seat up to six adults each. Wheel passengers will take three to four rotations high over the St. Louis skyline during the 10-to-12-minute ride. The St. Louis Wheel will be a new iconic attraction on the St. Louis skyline and will be operational every day of the year.
Other phases of the entertainment complex at St. Louis Union Station are underway in an area beneath the historic train shed that will be known as The Train Park. The Train Park will feature food and beverage concessions served out of train cars and shipping containers, the Fire & Light Show at the Lake, the St. Louis Wheel, the Hard Rock Café and Landry’s restaurants, and new retail and family attractions.
The first phase of development — the Fire & Light Show at the Lake — will open by November 2016. The show emanates from nine fire pods submerged in the watery pool. Tube lights, hung from trees in the Train Park, and a light show projected onto the ceiling panels of the train shed above the lake, will create a display synchronized to music on view every 30-minutes on the hour.
A new boardwalk around the lake will allow guests to stroll completely around the water and connect to both the Hard Rock Café and Landry’s restaurants. A cantilevered net lounge will be installed between the restaurants where guests can relax in a hammock-style lounge that hovers above the lake to view the Fire & Light Show.
The Train Park and Fire & Light Show are being created by Groundswell Design of Philadelphia. The company recently completed the popular Spruce Street Harbor Park in Philadelphia. That attraction was recently named in the national media as one of the best places to visit in Philadelphia and has become a popular gathering space for locals and visitors alike with floating gardens, colorful hammocks and food and drink from local restaurants. To learn more about Spruce Street Harbor Park, visit the website at www.delawareriverfront.com.
Enhancements also are continuing at the St. Louis Union Station Hotel which will add 32 new hotel rooms beneath the clock tower section on the Market Street side of the building’s northeast corner. Construction on the rooms will start in January 2017 with completion by fall 2017. The hotel currently offers 539 rooms and will increase to 571 rooms when the $5.5 million project is completed.
The hotel also will add 15,636 square feet of new meeting space by expanding the Midway east to 18th Street. Six new breakout rooms ranging from 1,600 to 2,835 square feet will be added along with another 8,700 square feet of flexible event space created with one of the shark tanks as a backdrop at the cost of $3.5 million. Construction on the meeting space will begin in January 2017 with completion by fall 2017.
About St. Louis Union Station
The National Historic Landmark St. Louis Union Station at 1820 Market Street in downtown St. Louis opened to the public on September 1, 1894 and was owned by the Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis. Designed by Theodore Link, it included three main areas: the Headhouse, the Midway and the 11.5-acre train shed. The Headhouse originally housed a hotel, a Fred Harvey restaurant, passenger waiting rooms and railroad ticketing offices. It featured a gold-leafed Grand Hall surrounded by Romanesque arches and topped with a 65-foot barrel-vaulted ceiling and stained-glass windows. Union Station’s Headhouse and Midway are constructed of Indiana limestone and initially included 42 tracks.
At its height, the station combined the St Louis passenger services of 22 railroads, the most of any single terminal in the world. It was the world’s largest and busiest railroad station when it opened in 1894 and its train shed was noted as the largest roof span in the world. In 1903, the station was expanded to accommodate visitors to the 1904 St Louis World’s Fair.
Today, the station includes the AAA Four Diamond St. Louis Union Station Hotel, a DoubleTree by Hilton. The 539-room property features four unique ballrooms, beautifully appointed guest rooms and specialty suites, and the elegant Grand Hall featuring an award-winning 3-D projection mapping light show and a 65-foot-long bar.
St. Louis Union Station is owned by Lodging Hospitality Management (LHM). The hotel has been named one of the world’s top railway themed hotels by Condé Nast. For information, visit www.stlouisunionstation.com/union-station-hotel/.
About Lodging Hospitality Management
Established in 1986, Lodging Hospitality Management (LHM) is an independently owned and operated lodging and hospitality management company. The largest privately held hotel company in the St. Louis region with 5,000 guest rooms,
LHM has expanded its portfolio over the past 28 years to include 17 hotel properties including upscale, independent and brand-affiliated hotels, eight restaurants and two commercial properties. LHM has acquired and repositioned such iconic hotels and real estate as the Hilton at the Ballpark which features Three Sixty, one of the 10 Best Rooftop Bars in the World; Union Station which features a popular holiday train ride and the award-winning 3-D light show in the Grand Hall; and The Cheshire Hotel, which includes the new restaurant Boundary, as well as dining spots Basso, The Fox and Hounds Tavern and Starbucks.
LHM contributes heavily to the St. Louis region in philanthropic ways by supporting the St. Louis Zoo, Police Foundation, Logos School, Pathways to Independence, United Way, The Boy Scouts, the American Cancer Society, and many other charitable entities.
For more information, visit www.lhmc.com
The mission of the Greater St. Louis Financial Education Collaborative is to increase information and access to financial education and asset building opportunities throughout the region. United Way of Greater St. Louis is the lead agency and host for the collaborative which includes over 130 non-profit and private sector partners. Projects include Money Smart Week, a financial education directory, a curriculum guide, and a volunteer match program. For more information please contact: [email protected]