The Hinde & Dauch Paper Company was an international paper-making company that was based in Sandusky, Ohio, United States. The firm was founded as Sandusky Paper Company by W. J. Bonn in 1880.Two developers of a hay-baling process, James J. Hinde and Jacob J. Dauch, later purchased the company. It was ultimately acquired by the West Virginia Pulp and Paper Company.A 2009 story in the Sandusky Register recalled the days of a century before, when the company employed 350 workers in the city. Local residents clearly remembered the scent of the company; to quote Erie County Historical Society president Janet Senne, "It smelled up the whole town. It made you sick to your stomach in the 1940s". In the previous two decades, Hinde and Dauch had been the city's largest employer.Three of the company's buildings are separately listed on the National Register of Historic Places.409 West Water StreetThe 409 West Water Street facility was built in 1906, it started demolition 2013 as it was a blight, and ended in 2014.401 West Shoreline DriveThe 401 West Shoreline Drive facility, on Sandusky Bay, was built in 1918.The building is very large, and most likely the Hinde & Dauch factory building, now occupied by Chesapeake Lofts, was a condo development.407 Decatur StreetThe 407 Decatur Street facility was built in 1926. 26 years after the 409 building was built. Now occupied by the Sandusky city schools offices.
Community and Government Near Hinde & Dauch Paper Company
The Erie County Jail is a historic Stick/Eastlake building located on Adams Street in Sandusky, Ohio. It was built from 1882 to 1883 by the firm of Adam Feick & Brother, which consisted of Adam, Philip, and George Feick. The structure was designed to have 26 cells and a sheriff's residence. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. The building is now part of the Sandusky Library.
The Masonic Temple in Sandusky, Ohio, also known as Science Lodge No. 50 F & A M, was built in 1889.It was covered in a study of historic resources of Sandusky, and was deemed significant in the social history of the city.It was nominated for listing on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983, and was determined to be NRHP-eligible, but formal listing was prevented by owner objection (reference number 83004653; date of January 20, 1983; listing status "Determined Eligible/Owner Objection").The architecture is Romanesque; architects were H.C. Lindsay and Adam Feick. The property's area at time of NRHP nomination was.
The Erie County Courthouse is located at 323 Columbus Street in Sandusky, Ohio. The current courthouse has served the county since 1939.HistoryErie County was established in 1838 from the northern half of Huron County. At that time, and until the courthouse was completed in 1874, the courts met in various locations around town. A contest was held for the design of a courthouse, with the winning design to be built as soon as possible.The courthouse of 1874 was designed in the Second Empire style. The facade rose three floors up with the roofline containing dormer windows. The corners of the structure as well as the center project from the rectangular footprint. The corners were capped with a mansard roof styled tower, and the center was capped by a pediment. The center of the building rose into a tall tower and is capped with a widow's walk.The courthouse was extensively remodeled from 1936 to 1939 as part of the WPA and no longer resembles the old building. This remodel caused controversy throughout the county as factions for and against the remodel sprouted, but the remodel went ahead as scheduled.ExteriorThe style used during the remodeling was the Art Deco style popular during that era. The smooth stone facade no longer projects at the corners, but still contains a central projection. The roof is flat and is still topped by a central tower, but much of the original decoration was stripped away. The tower is capped by a triangular cap stone.