The Daily News Building, also known as The News Building, is a 476ft skyscraper located at 220 East 42nd Street between Second and Third Avenues in the Turtle Bay neighborhood of Midtown Manhattan, New York City. The building has 36 floors.Built in 1929–1930, it was headquarters for the New York Daily News newspaper until 1995. It was also the headquarters of United Press International until the news service moved to Washington, DC in 1982. Its design by architects Raymond Hood and John Mead Howells, in the Art Deco style, has been called "one of the city's major Art Deco presences" by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission, as well as "the first fully modernistic free-standing skyscraper of architect Raymond Hood." It was among the first skyscrapers to be built without an ornamental crown, and can be seen as a precursor to Hood's design of Rockefeller Center. A 1957–60 addition to the building which expanded the lobby on the southwest corner of Second Avenue was designed by Harrison & Abramovitz, echoing the vertical stripes of the original design, except with a wider stripe. The building, including the newspaper's new printing presses, cost $10,700,000 - about $135 million in 2010 dollars.
The Chrysler Building is an Art Deco-style skyscraper located on the East Side of Midtown Manhattan in New York City, at the intersection of 42nd Street and Lexington Avenue in the Turtle Bay neighborhood. At 1,046ft, the structure was the world's tallest building for 11 months before it was surpassed by the Empire State Building in 1931.It is the tallest brick building in the world, albeit with a steel frame. After the destruction of the World Trade Center, it was again the second-tallest building in New York City until December 2007, when the spire was raised on the 1,200-foot (365.8 m) Bank of America Tower, pushing the Chrysler Building into third position. In addition, The New York Times Building, which opened in 2007, is exactly level with the Chrysler Building in height. Both buildings were then pushed into fourth position, when the under-construction One World Trade Center surpassed their height, and then to fifth position by 432 Park Avenue which was completed in 2015.
A complex of buildings in the heart of New York City, the Morgan Library & Museum began as the private library of financier Pierpont Morgan, one of the preeminent collectors and cultural benefactors in the United States. Today it is a museum, independent research library, music venue, architectural landmark, and historic site. A century after its founding, the Morgan maintains a unique position in the cultural life of New York City and is considered one of its greatest treasures. With the 2006 reopening of its newly renovated campus, designed by renowned architect Renzo Piano, and the 2010 refurbishment of the original library, the Morgan reaffirmed its role as an important repository for the history, art, and literature of Western civilization from 4000 B.C. to the twenty-first century.
The 69th Regiment Armory is located at 68 Lexington Avenue between East 25th and 26th Streets in the Rose Hill section of Manhattan, New York City. The historic building began construction in 1904 and was completed in 1906. The building is still used to house the headquarters of the New York Army National Guard's 1st Battalion, 69th Infantry Regiment, as well as for the presentation of special events. The armory was designed by the firm of Hunt & Hunt, and was the first armory built in New York City to not be modeled on a medieval fortress; instead, it was designed in the Beaux-Arts style. The building was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1965, and a New York City landmark in 1983.The Armory was the site of the controversial 1913 Armory Show, in which modern art was first publicly presented in the United States. It has a 5,000 seat arena that is used for sporting and entertainment events such as the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.
The historic Algonquin, located in the heart of Manhattan, is one of NYC's oldest hotels and home of the infamous Round Table. Stop by for a visit for inspiration, fun, and a nod from the resident cat, Matilda.
The Algonquin Hotel is located between Fifth and Sixth Avenues along "Club Row" in the heart of New York City, a short walk from Fifth Avenue. The Algonquin Hotel's rooms feature new plush surroundings, contemporary colours and rich fabrics. They all contain complimentary Wi-Fi, flat-screen televisions and luxurious amenities.
The Blue Bar remains one of the city’s most famous destinations to share stories and ideas over perfectly poured martinis and cocktails. Join us at one of “America’s Best Historic Hotels” and experience some history of your own.
The Tiffany and Company Building is the landmarked former home of the Tiffany and Company store at 401 Fifth Avenue, Manhattan, New York City, New York.This building, completed in 1906, served as the home of Tiffany until 1940. Today, a TD Bank branch, tchotchke shop, and Burger King occupy the ground level. The People's Court is filmed on a set inside the building.The building was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1978.
The Seagram Building is a skyscraper, located at 375 Park Avenue, between 52nd Street and 53rd Street in Midtown Manhattan, New York City. The integral plaza, building, stone faced lobby and distinctive glass and bronze exterior were designed by German-American architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. Philip Johnson designed the interior of The Four Seasons and Brasserie restaurants. Severud Associates were the structural engineering consultants.The building stands 515 feet (157 m) tall with 38 stories, and was completed in 1958. It stands as one of the most notable examples of the functionalist aesthetic and a prominent instance of corporate modernism. It was designed as the headquarters for the Canadian distillers Joseph E. Seagram's & Sons with the active interest of Phyllis Lambert, the daughter of Samuel Bronfman, Seagram's CEO. It has the worst Energy Star rating of any building in New York, at 3 out of 100.The building is owned by Aby Roxsen's RFR Holdings.
Macy's Herald Square, originally known as the R. H. Macy and Company Store, is the flagship of Macy's department stores, located on Herald Square in Manhattan, New York City. The building's 2.2 million square feet (almost 205,000 square meters) has made it the world's largest department store since 1924., the store has stood at the site for 115 years.The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places as a National Historic Landmark in 1978.HistoryMacy's was founded by Rowland Hussey Macy, who between 1843 and 1855 opened four retail dry goods stores, including the original Macy's store in downtown Haverhill, Massachusetts, established in 1851 to serve the mill industry employees of the area. They all failed, but he learned from his mistakes. He moved to New York City in 1858 and established a new store named "R.H Macy Dry Goods" at Sixth Avenue on the corner of 14th Street. On the company's first day of business on October 28, 1858 sales totaled $11.08, equivalent to $ today. From the very beginning, Macy's logo has included a star in one form or another, echoing a red star-shaped tattoo that Macy got as a teenager when he worked on a Nantucket whaling ship.
Saint Patrick's Cathedral, NYCDistance: 0.7 miCompetitive Analysis 5th Avenue between 50th and 51st streets New York, NY
1221 Avenue of the Americas, is a skyscraper built in 1969, located at 1221 Sixth Avenue, in Manhattan, New York City, and is one of several buildings that were part of the Rockefeller Center complex expansion in the 1960s. It is 674ft high and 51 stories. The building is the former headquarters of McGraw-Hill Financial, from which it derived its former name. Other tenants include Sirius XM Radio, whose headquarters and broadcast facility are in the building.The expansion consisted of the three buildings collectively known as the "XYZ Buildings," each with similar slab-like massing, of different heights and designed by Wallace Harrison's firm.The sunken courtyard of this building contains a large metal triangle designed by Athelstan Spilhaus and fabricated by Tyler Elevator Products, arranged so the Sun aligns with its sides at solstices and equinoxes. When built, the southwestern corner held a display of scale models of planets in the Solar System. A mosaic map of the Earth survives in the northwestern corner.1999 elevator incidentAfter entering an express elevator at approximately 11:00 p.m. (EDT) on October 15, 1999, Nicholas White, an employee of the building, became trapped after a brief power dip caused the elevator to stop between the 13th and 14th floors. Though he signaled an alarm and there was surveillance video being inside the elevator cab, White was not rescued until approximately 4:00 p.m. on October 17, nearly 41 hours later, after security guards spotted him in the surveillance cameras
Rockefeller Center is a large complex consisting of 19 highrise commercial buildings covering 22acre between 48th and 51st Streets in New York City. Commissioned by the Rockefeller family, it is located in the center of Midtown Manhattan, spanning the area between Fifth Avenue and Sixth Avenue. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1987.It is famous for its annual Christmas tree lighting.HistoryRockefeller Center was named after John D. Rockefeller, Jr., who leased the space from Columbia University in 1928 and developed it beginning in 1930. Rockefeller initially planned a syndicate to build an opera house for the Metropolitan Opera on the site, but changed plans after the stock market crash of 1929 and the Metropolitan's continual delays to hold out for a more favorable lease, causing Rockefeller to move forward without them. Rockefeller stated, "It was clear that there were only two courses open to me. One was to abandon the entire development. The other to go forward with it in the definite knowledge that I myself would have to build it and finance it alone." He took on the enormous project as the sole financier, on a 27-year lease (with the option for three 21-year renewals for a total of 87 years) for the site from Columbia; negotiating a line of credit with the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company and covering ongoing expenses through the sale of oil company stock. The initial cost of acquiring the space, razing some of the existing buildings and constructing new buildings was estimated at $250 million.
The Chanin Building is a brick and terra-cotta skyscraper located at 122 East 42nd Street, at the corner of Lexington Avenue, in Midtown Manhattan, New York City. Built by Irwin S. Chanin in 1929, it is 56 stories high, reaching 197.8m excluding the spire and 207.3m including it. It was designed by Sloan & Robertson in the Art Deco style, with the assistance of Chanin's own architect Jacques Delamarre, and it incorporates architectural sculpture by Rene Paul Chambellan.The building was designated a New York City landmark in 1978, and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.DescriptionThe base of the building boasts black Belgian marble around the store fronts with a bronze frieze directly above depicting scenes of evolution. A second terra-cotta frieze runs the whole length of the lower facade, presenting a dramatic collection of angular zigzags and curvy leaves. The tower rises 22 stories and then thins into a series of setbacks, reaching a total of 56 floors. The top of the building is a series of buttresses that are illuminated from the inside at night, lighting up the recesses in the crown.
The Smallpox Hospital, sometimes referred to as the Renwick Smallpox Hospital and later the Maternity and Charity Hospital Training School, is an abandoned hospital located on Roosevelt Island in Manhattan, New York City. Originally designed by architect James Renwick Jr., the 100-bed hospital opened in 1856, when the area was known as Blackwell's Island.A century after it opened, the hospital was closed, and the building eventually fell into disrepair. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972 and designated a New York City Landmark four years later, the only ruin in the city with that designation. After the completion of an ongoing $4.5 million stabilization project, the Smallpox Hospital ruins will be open to the public.BuildingThe hospital is situated in an otherwise undeveloped area at the southern tip of the island. Renwick designed the main building. The south wing, built in 1903-04, was designed by York & Sawyer, while the north wing (1904–05) was designed by Renwick, Aspinwall & Owen. When completed, it was a three-story, nine-bay U-shaped structure faced in granite veneer in a random ashlar pattern over load-bearing rubble masonry. The central block has a hipped roof, with corbeled crenelated parapets on the projecting sections, with a simple cornice on the non-projecting sections. Crenelated polygonal chimneys rise from the southeast side of the main block. The two wings, which project from the ends of the northwest (front) facade, had mansard roofs.
The Lipstick Building is a 453-foot tall skyscraper located at 885 Third Avenue, between East 53rd Street and 54th Street, across from the Citigroup Center in Manhattan, New York City, United States. It was completed in 1986 and has 34 floors. The building was designed by John Burgee Architects with Philip Johnson. The building receives its name from its shape and color, which resemble a tube of lipstick.The company that owned the building, Metropolitan 885 Third Avenue LLC, filed for bankruptcy in 2010 after overpaying for the property.DescriptionAt three levels the Lipstick Building's wall is set back in response to Manhattan's zoning regulation, which requires the building to recede from the street within its spatial envelope, to increase the availability of light at street level. The result is a form that looks as though it could retract telescopically. The shape, which is unusual in comparison to surrounding buildings, uses less space at the base than a regular skyscraper of quadrilateral footprint would use. This provides more room for the heavy pedestrian traffic along Third Avenue.At the base, the building stands on columns which act as an entrance for a vast post-modern hall. They are two stories high and separate the street from the nine-meter (30 ft) high lobby. Because the elevators and emergency staircases are located to the rear of the building, this area appears hollow.
The Church of the Incarnation is a historic Episcopal church at 205-209 Madison Avenue at the northeast corner of 35th Street in the Murray Hill neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. The church was founded in 1850 as a chapel of Grace Church located at 28th Street and Madison. In 1852, it became an independent parish, and in 1864-85 the parish built its own sanctuary at its current location.Notable parishionersNotable among the parishioners of the church were Admiral David Farragut and Eleanor Roosevelt, who was confirmed in the church. The funeral for the mother of Franklin Delano Roosevelt was held at the church, and a ramp was built so that FDR could attend. Several prominent families had pews and have memorials in the church, including the Delanos, Langdons, Sedgwicks, Seaburys, Brooks, and Rikers families.BuildingsThe sanctuary was built in 1864-1865, and was designed by Emlen T. Littel. It was "distinguished for both its architecture and refined interior decoration and artwork." The cornerstone was laid on March 8, 1864 by Bishop Horatio Potter of the New York Diocese, the first services were held on December 11, and the church was consecrated on April 20, 1865. The church rectory was constructed in 1868-69, designed by Robert Mook.
The Daily News Building, also known as The News Building, is a 476-foot Art-Deco skyscraper located at 220 East 42nd Street between Second and Third Avenues in the Turtle Bay neighborhood of Midtown Manhattan, New York City. Built in 1929–1930, it was headquarters for the New York Daily News newspaper until 1995. It was also the headquarters of United Press International until the news service moved to Washington, DC in 1982. Its design by architects Raymond Hood and John Mead Howells, among the first skyscrapers to be built without an ornamental crown, can be seen as a precursor to Hood's design of Rockefeller Center. A 1957–60 addition to the building which expanded the lobby on the southwest corner of Second Avenue was designed by Harrison & Abramovitz, echoing the vertical stripes of the original design, except with a wider stripe. The building, including the newspaper's new printing presses, cost $10,700,000 – about $135 million in 2010 dollars.
The lobby of the building includes a black glass domed ceiling, under which is the world's largest indoor globe. This was conceived by the Daily News as a permanent educational science exhibit.
The Westin New York Grand Central Hotel Distance: 0.0 miCompetitive Analysis 212 E 42nd St New York, NY 10017
The Westin New York Grand Central Hotel, previously The New York Helmsley Hotel, is a business-oriented hotel in New York City, New York. It is approximately two blocks west of the United Nations headquarters and a little more than one block east of Grand Central Terminal.The hotel was part of The Helmsley Collection. In addition to The New York Helmsley, New York City properties in the Collection included The Helmsley Park Lane Hotel, The Helmsley Carlton House, and The Helmsley Middletowne Hotel. The Helmsley Sand Castle Hotel, a resort facility in Sarasota, Florida, was also a part of The Helmsley Collection.HistoryThe hotel was founded in 1981 by Leona Helmsley, the "self-styled hotel queen".In 2011, the estate of Leona Helmsley sold The New York Helmsley Hotel to Host Hotels & Resorts.The hotel became a Westin on October 1, 2012.