10 Columbus Circle New York, NY 10019 (877) 673-1246
Columbus Circle, named for Christopher Columbus, is a traffic circle and heavily trafficked intersection in the New York City borough of Manhattan, located at the intersection of Eighth Avenue, Broadway, Central Park South (West 59th Street), and Central Park West, at the southwest corner of Central Park. It is the point from which all official distances from New York City are measured. The name is also used for the neighborhood a few blocks around the circle in each direction. To the south of the circle lies Hell's Kitchen, also known as "Clinton", and the Theater District, and to the north is the Upper West Side.The circleCompleted in 1905 and renovated a century later, the circle was designed by William P. Eno – a businessman who pioneered many early innovations in road safety and traffic control – as part of Frederick Law Olmsted's vision for Central Park, which included a "Grand Circle" at the Merchants' Gate, its most important Eighth Avenue entrance.
Strawberry Fields is a 2.5-acre (1.0 ha) landscaped section in New York City's Central Park that is dedicated to the memory of former Beatle John Lennon. It is named after the Beatles' song "Strawberry Fields Forever" written by Lennon. __notoc__DescriptionDesignThe Central Park memorial was designed by Bruce Kelly, the chief landscape architect for the Central Park Conservancy. Strawberry Fields was dedicated on what would have been Lennon's 45th birthday, October 9, 1985, by New York Mayor Ed Koch and Lennon's widow Yoko Ono, who had underwritten the project. The entrance to the memorial is located on Central Park West at West 72nd Street, directly across from the Dakota Apartments, where Lennon had lived for the latter part of his life, and where he was murdered in 1980. The memorial is a triangular piece of land falling away on the two sides of the park, and its focal point is a circular pathway mosaic of inlaid stones, with a single word, the title of Lennon's famous song: "Imagine". This was a gift from the city of Naples, Italy. Along the borders of the area surrounding the mosaic are benches which are endowed in memory of other individuals and maintained by the Central Park Conservancy. Along a path toward the southeast, a plaque on a low glaciated outcropping of schist lists the nations which contributed to building the memorial. Yoko Ono, who still lives in The Dakota, contributed over a million dollars for the landscaping and the upkeep endowment.
The historic Algonquin, located in the heart of Manhattan, is one of NYC's oldest hotels and home of the infamous Round Table. Stop by for a visit for inspiration, fun, and a nod from the resident cat, Matilda.
The Algonquin Hotel is located between Fifth and Sixth Avenues along "Club Row" in the heart of New York City, a short walk from Fifth Avenue. The Algonquin Hotel's rooms feature new plush surroundings, contemporary colours and rich fabrics. They all contain complimentary Wi-Fi, flat-screen televisions and luxurious amenities.
The Blue Bar remains one of the city’s most famous destinations to share stories and ideas over perfectly poured martinis and cocktails. Join us at one of “America’s Best Historic Hotels” and experience some history of your own.
The Dakota is a cooperative apartment building located on the northwest corner of 72nd Street and Central Park West in the Upper West Side of Manhattan in New York City, United States. It was built in 1880–1884 and is considered to be one of Manhattan's most prestigious and exclusive cooperative residential buildings, with apartments generally selling for between $4 million and $30 million. The Dakota is famous as the home of former Beatle John Lennon from 1973 to his death outside the building in 1980.HistoryThe Dakota was constructed between October 25, 1880, and October 27, 1884. The architectural firm of Henry Janeway Hardenbergh was commissioned to create the design for Edward Clark, head of the Singer Sewing Machine Company. The firm also designed the Plaza Hotel.The Dakota was purportedly so named because at the time of construction, the Upper West Side was sparsely inhabited and considered as remote in relation to the inhabited area of Manhattan as the Dakota Territory was. However, the earliest recorded appearance of this account is in a 1933 newspaper interview with the Dakota's long-time manager, quoted in Christopher Gray's book New York Streetscapes: "Probably it was called 'Dakota' because it was so far west and so far north". According to Gray, it is more likely that the building was named the Dakota because of Clark's fondness for the names of the new western states and territories.
The Seagram Building is a skyscraper, located at 375 Park Avenue, between 52nd Street and 53rd Street in Midtown Manhattan, New York City. The integral plaza, building, stone faced lobby and distinctive glass and bronze exterior were designed by German-American architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. Philip Johnson designed the interior of The Four Seasons and Brasserie restaurants. Severud Associates were the structural engineering consultants.The building stands 515 feet (157 m) tall with 38 stories, and was completed in 1958. It stands as one of the most notable examples of the functionalist aesthetic and a prominent instance of corporate modernism. It was designed as the headquarters for the Canadian distillers Joseph E. Seagram's & Sons with the active interest of Phyllis Lambert, the daughter of Samuel Bronfman, Seagram's CEO. It has the worst Energy Star rating of any building in New York, at 3 out of 100.The building is owned by Aby Roxsen's RFR Holdings.
Saint Patrick's Cathedral, NYCDistance: 0.7 miCompetitive Analysis 5th Avenue between 50th and 51st streets New York, NY
The Ansonia is a building on the Upper West Side of New York City, located at 2109 Broadway, between West 73rd and West 74th Streets. It was originally built as a residential hotel by William Earle Dodge Stokes, the Phelps-Dodge copper heir and share holder in the Ansonia Clock Company, and it was named for his grandfather, the industrialist Anson Greene Phelps. In 1899, Stokes commissioned architect Paul E. Duboy (1857–1907) to build the grandest hotel in Manhattan.Stokes would list himself as "architect-in-chief" for the project and hired Duboy, a sculptor who designed and made the ornamental sculptures on the Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument, to draw up the plans. New Orleans architect Martin Shepard served as draftsman and assistant superintendent of construction on the project. A contractor sued Stokes in 1907, but he would defend himself, explaining that Duboy was in an insane asylum in Paris and should not have been making commitments in Stokes's name concerning the hotel.In what might be the earliest harbinger of the current developments in urban farming, Stokes established a small farm on the roof of the hotel.Stokes had a Utopian vision for the Ansonia—that it could be self-sufficient, or at least contribute to its own support—which led to perhaps the strangest New York apartment amenity ever. "The farm on the roof," Weddie Stokes wrote years later, "included about 500 chickens, many ducks, about six goats and a small bear." Every day, a bellhop delivered free fresh eggs to all the tenants, and any surplus was sold cheaply to the public in the basement arcade. Not much about this feature charmed the city fathers, however, and in 1907, the Department of Health shut down the farm in the sky.
1221 Avenue of the Americas, is a skyscraper built in 1969, located at 1221 Sixth Avenue, in Manhattan, New York City, and is one of several buildings that were part of the Rockefeller Center complex expansion in the 1960s. It is 674ft high and 51 stories. The building is the former headquarters of McGraw-Hill Financial, from which it derived its former name. Other tenants include Sirius XM Radio, whose headquarters and broadcast facility are in the building.The expansion consisted of the three buildings collectively known as the "XYZ Buildings," each with similar slab-like massing, of different heights and designed by Wallace Harrison's firm.The sunken courtyard of this building contains a large metal triangle designed by Athelstan Spilhaus and fabricated by Tyler Elevator Products, arranged so the Sun aligns with its sides at solstices and equinoxes. When built, the southwestern corner held a display of scale models of planets in the Solar System. A mosaic map of the Earth survives in the northwestern corner.1999 elevator incidentAfter entering an express elevator at approximately 11:00 p.m. (EDT) on October 15, 1999, Nicholas White, an employee of the building, became trapped after a brief power dip caused the elevator to stop between the 13th and 14th floors. Though he signaled an alarm and there was surveillance video being inside the elevator cab, White was not rescued until approximately 4:00 p.m. on October 17, nearly 41 hours later, after security guards spotted him in the surveillance cameras
Rockefeller Center is a large complex consisting of 19 highrise commercial buildings covering 22acre between 48th and 51st Streets in New York City. Commissioned by the Rockefeller family, it is located in the center of Midtown Manhattan, spanning the area between Fifth Avenue and Sixth Avenue. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1987.It is famous for its annual Christmas tree lighting.HistoryRockefeller Center was named after John D. Rockefeller, Jr., who leased the space from Columbia University in 1928 and developed it beginning in 1930. Rockefeller initially planned a syndicate to build an opera house for the Metropolitan Opera on the site, but changed plans after the stock market crash of 1929 and the Metropolitan's continual delays to hold out for a more favorable lease, causing Rockefeller to move forward without them. Rockefeller stated, "It was clear that there were only two courses open to me. One was to abandon the entire development. The other to go forward with it in the definite knowledge that I myself would have to build it and finance it alone." He took on the enormous project as the sole financier, on a 27-year lease (with the option for three 21-year renewals for a total of 87 years) for the site from Columbia; negotiating a line of credit with the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company and covering ongoing expenses through the sale of oil company stock. The initial cost of acquiring the space, razing some of the existing buildings and constructing new buildings was estimated at $250 million.
72nd Street (IRT Broadway – Seventh Avenue Line)Distance: 0.7 miCompetitive Analysis Area of West 72nd Street, Broadway & Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY 10023 New York, NY 10023
72nd Street is an express station on the IRT Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line of the New York City Subway, located at the intersection of Broadway, 72nd Street and Amsterdam Avenue (including Verdi Square and Sherman Square) on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. It is served by the 1, 2 and 3 trains at all times.HistoryThe 72nd Street station opened on October 27, 1904, as part of the original subway, with trains running from Brooklyn Bridge to 145th Street. The original configuration of the station was inadequate by IRT standards. It had just one entrance (the control house on the traffic island between 71st and 72nd Streets, now listed on the National Register of Historic Places), and the platforms and stairways were unusually narrow. There were no crossovers or crossunders as the control house had separate turnstile banks and token booths for each side. Express trains ran on the innermost two tracks, while local trains ran on the outer pair.
The Seventh Regiment Armory, also known as Park Avenue Armory, is a historic brick building that fills an entire city block on New York's Upper East Side. Part palace, part industrial shed, Park Avenue Armory fills a critical void in the cultural ecology of New York by enabling artists to create—and audiences to experience—unconventional work that cannot be mounted in traditional performance halls and museums. With its soaring 55,000-square-foot Wade Thompson Drill Hall—reminiscent of 19th-century European train stations—and array of exuberant period rooms, the Armory offers a new platform for creativity across all art forms.
Time Warner Center is a twin-tower building developed by The Related Companies and AREA Property Partners (formerly known as Apollo Real Estate Advisors) in New York City. Its design, by David Childs and Mustafa Kemal Abadan of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, consists of two 750 ft (229 m) twin towers bridged by a multi-story atrium containing upscale retail shops. Construction began in November 2000, following the demolition of the New York Coliseum, and a topping-out ceremony was held on February 27, 2003. The property had the highest-listed market value in New York City, $1.1 billion, in 2006. Originally constructed as the AOL Time Warner Center, the building encircles the western side of Columbus Circle and straddles the border between Midtown and the Upper West Side. The total floor area of 2.8e6ft2 is divided between offices (notably the offices of Time Warner Inc. and an R&D Center for VMware), residential condominiums, and the Mandarin Oriental, New York hotel. The Shops at Columbus Circle is an upscale shopping mall located in a curving arcade at the base of the building, with a large Whole Foods Market grocery store in the basement.
15 Central Park West is a condominium building located at the corner of West 61st Street and Central Park West in New York City. Construction started in 2005 and was completed in 2008, costing a total of $950 million. The building was designed in a New Classical style by Robert A. M. Stern.DevelopmentThe building was constructed by developers Arthur and William Lie Zeckendorf of Zeckendorf Development, grandsons of real estate developer William Zeckendorf, in partnership with Goldman Sachs and Eyal Ofer's Global Holdings Inc. Ofer also owns the Altria Building, 18 Gramercy Park, and a new luxury residential tower at 50 United Nations Plaza, which was completed in 2014. 15 Central Park West is considered by some to be one of New York's most prestigious residential addresses. The location, described as "the most expensive site in Manhattan," (worth $401 million in 2004) comprises an entire, albeit small, city block on Central Park West, formerly occupied by the somewhat dilapidated Mayflower Hotel (a 1926 Neo-Renaissance building designed by the architect Emery Roth) and a vacant lot.ArchitectureAs per Robert A. M. Stern's designs, 15 CPW is divided into two sections, a 19-story tower on Central Park West known as "the house" and a 35-story tower on Broadway, joined by a glass-enclosed lobby. It includes such amenities as a private driveway to screen residents from paparazzi, a cinema with 20 seats and 14,000sqft fitness center which has a 75-foot (22.86 m) swimming pool.
59th Street is a crosstown street in the New York City borough of Manhattan, running from York Avenue/Sutton Place to the West Side Highway, with a discontinuity between Ninth Avenue/Columbus Avenue and Eighth Avenue/Central Park West where the Time Warner Center is located. At Second Avenue, 59th Street branches off onto the Ed Koch Queensboro Bridge, which is often referred to as the 59th Street Bridge, even though 59th Street continues east to York Avenue/Sutton Place.The portion of the street forming the southern boundary of Central Park from Columbus Circle at Eighth Avenue/Central Park West on the west to Grand Army Plaza at Fifth Avenue on the east is known as Central Park South. Entry into Central Park can be made at the Scholars' Gate at Fifth Avenue, the Artists' Gate at Sixth Avenue, the Artisans' Gate at Seventh Avenue, and the Merchants' Gate at Columbus Circle. Central Park South contains four famous upscale hotels: the Plaza Hotel, the Ritz-Carlton, which is the flagship of the Ritz-Carlton chain, the Park Lane, and JW Marriott Essex House.
Feinstein's/54 Below is a cabaret and restaurant in New York City owned by Broadway producers Steve Baruch, Richard Frankel, Marc Routh and Tom Viertel. It has hosted shows by such notable performers as Patti LuPone, Ben Vereen, Marilyn Maye and Barbara Cook. It is located in the basement of Studio 54.HistoryFeinstein's/54 Below opened in June 3, 2012 as 54 Below. Its designers include architect Richard H. Lewis, set designer John Lee Beatty, lighting designer Ken Billington, and sound designer Peter Hylenski. Scott Wittman also serves as Creative Consultant. Jennifer Ashley Tepper serves as the Director of Programming at Feinstein's/54 Below.Feinstein's/54 Below features a variety of musical artists and styles, including musical theatre, opera, and jazz, the last of which was featured in a series co-produced with WBGO.In September 2015, 54 Below announced a creative alliance with performer and singer, pianist, and music revivalist Michael Feinstein, becoming Feinstein's/54 Below.Awards 2013 BroadwayWorld New York Cabaret Award Patti LuPone: Show of the Year Sondheim Unplugged: Best Variety Show/Recurring Series Terri White: Best One-Show Special Event Alex Rybeck: Best Musical Director for Sibling Revelry with the Callaway Sisters Jackie Hoffman: Best Musical Comedy Performance Laura Benanti: Best Female Celebrity Vocalist Susie Mosher: Best Host/Producer for Variety Show or Open Mic Ann Hampton Callaway & Liz Callaway: Best Duo or Group Show Ahrens & Flaherty: Best Revue Jason Robert Brown: Best Original Song for a Cabaret Show Jane Monheit: Best Jazz Vocalist Justin Vivian Bond Jenifer Lewis Maurice Hines 2013 Concierge Choice Award: Nightlife MAC Awards: Board of Directors Award 2013 Nightlife Award
The Alwyn Court is a 12-story apartment building located at 180 West 58th Street on the corner of Seventh Avenue in Midtown Manhattan, New York City, one block south of Central Park. It was built between 1907 and 1909, and was designed by Harde & Short in French Renaissance style, with elaborate terra-cotta ornamentation in the Francis I style covering the entire facade. The interior courtyard has a painted architectural facade by artist Richard Haas.The building was constructed with 14-room 5-bathroom apartments which were subdivided during the Depression. Although the interior has changed over time, the exterior, with its intricate terra-cotta decoration, has largely remained unchanged. The facade was cleaned and restored in 1980-81 by Beyer Blinder Belle.The Alwyn Court was designated a New York landmark in 1966 and added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.In popular cultureIn 2012, the Alwyn Court was prominently featured as the background to a GEICO commercial, in which a semi-naked bodybuilder was shown directing traffic on Seventh Avenue in front of the building.
Carnegie Hall is a concert venue in Midtown Manhattan in New York City, United States, located at 881 Seventh Avenue, occupying the east side of Seventh Avenue between West 56th Street and West 57th Street, two blocks south of Central Park.Designed by architect William Burnet Tuthill and built by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie in 1891, it is one of the most prestigious venues in the world for both classical music and popular music. Carnegie Hall has its own artistic programming, development, and marketing departments, and presents about 250 performances each season. It is also rented out to performing groups. The hall has not had a resident company since 1962, when the New York Philharmonic moved to Lincoln Center's Philharmonic Hall (renamed Avery Fisher Hall in 1973 and David Geffen Hall in 2015).Carnegie Hall has 3,671 seats, divided among its three auditoriums.Carnegie Hall presented about 200 concerts in the 2008–2009 season, up 3 percent from the previous year. Its stages were rented for an additional 600 events in the 2008–2009 season.VenuesCarnegie Hall contains three distinct, separate performance spaces.Main Hall (Stern Auditorium/Perelman Stage)The Isaac Stern Auditorium seats 2,804 on five levels and was named after violinist Isaac Stern in 1997 to recognize his efforts to save the hall from demolition in the 1960s. The hall is enormously high, and visitors to the top balcony must climb 137 steps. All but the top level can be reached by elevator.
Harperly Hall, 41 Central Park West, is an apartment building in Manhattan, New York City, United States. The building is located along prestigious Central Park West and was built in 1910, it opened in 1911. Cast in the Arts and Crafts style, a rarity for New York City, Harperly Hall was designed by Henry W. Wilkerson. The structure was listed as a contributing property to the U.S. federal government designated Central Park West Historic District in 1982 when the district joined the National Register of Historic Places. At one time it was known as the Madonna building as Sean Penn and singer Madonna lived there.HistoryHenry Wilhelm Wilkerson, the building's architect, and a group investors purchased the property at the northwest corner of 64th Street and Central Park West in 1909. The original group included Wilkerson, Mary Bookwalter, a decorator, Dwight Tryon, an artist, Wallace Irwin, a humorist and concert manager Loudon Charlton. According to the corporate papers they filed their goal was to build a cooperative "suitable for artists' studios." The building was named after a manor house in County Durham, England, the Wilkerson's ancestral home.By March 1910 construction on Harperly Hall was nearing completion, the building represented the first housing cooperative in the Central Park West area. The building officially opened in 1911 with 76 apartments.ArchitectureThe building at 41 Central Park West was designed by architect Henry W. Wilkerson. Wilkerson's design is unique from the typical apartment building design of the day. Wilkerson, who had little experience designing apartment-houses, used the Arts and Crafts style liberally, throughout the structure. Though the building is cast mostly in the Arts and Crafts style, a rarity for New York City, it does contain elements of the Neo-Italian Renaissance style.
Carnegie Hall Tower – wieżowiec w Nowym Jorku, w dzielnicy Midtown Manhattan w USA. Budynek ma 230,7 metrów wysokości, co czyni go szesnastym wśród najwyższych wieżowców w mieście. Liczy 60 kondygnacji.Linki zewnętrzne Carengie Hall Tower na skyscraperpage.com
1717 Broadway is a skyscraper located in Manhattan, New York City, United States, and is the tallest hotel in North America. The building contains two hotels, the Courtyard New York Manhattan/Central Park and the Residence Inn New York Manhattan/Central Park, with a total of 639 rooms. The glass-clad building is located on the Northwest corner of 54th Street and Broadway.
CitySpire Center – wieżowiec w Nowym Jorku w Stanach Zjednoczonych. Ma ponad 248 metrów wysokości i 75 pięter. Jest to jeden z najwyższych budynków w mieście, zajmujący obecnie 9. miejsce.Został zaprojektowany przez Murphy/Jahn, Inc. Architects. Jego budowa zakończyła się w roku 1987. Jest on wykorzystywany w różnoraki sposób. 23 pierwsze piętra zajmują biura, wyżej znajdują się luksusowe apartamenty, których wielkość rośnie wraz z piętrem. Reprezentuje styl postmodernistyczny w architekturze. Jego całkowita powierzchnia wynosi 77107 m². Budynek należy do Tishman Speyer Properties. Firma ta zakupiła go wraz z 11 innymi budynkami 5 grudnia 2004 roku za ponad 1,8 mld dolarów.Gdy został ukończony, był to drugi na świecie najwyższy budynek zbudowany z betonu. Pomimo tego, że znajduje się bardzo blisko Carnegie Hall Tower i Metropolitan Tower, jest dobrze widoczny z Central Parku. Problemów przysporzyła kopuła, która znajduje się na dachu wieżowca. Krótko po wprowadzeniu się pierwszych mieszkańców zgłaszali oni dziwny dźwięk dochodzący ze szczytu budynku. Dźwięk ten był spowodowany wiejącym po kopulastym dachu wiatrem. Problem ten został szybko rozwiązany.Zobacz też lista najwyższych budynków w Nowym Jorku lista najwyższych budynków w Stanach Zjednoczonych lista najwyższych budynków na świecie
New York State Theater Distance: 0.3 miCompetitive Analysis 20 Lincoln Center Plz New York, NY 10023
The David H. Koch Theater is a theater for ballet, modern and other forms of dance, part of the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts located at the intersection of Columbus Avenue and 63rd Street in New York City, United States. Originally named the New York State Theater, the venue has been home to the New York City Ballet since its opening in 1964, the secondary venue for the American Ballet Theatre in the fall, and served as home to the New York City Opera from 1964 to 2011. The theater occupies the south side of the main plaza of Lincoln Center, opposite David Geffen Hall.HistoryThe New York State Theater was built with funds from the State of New York as part of New York State's cultural participation in the 1964–1965 World's Fair. The theater was designed by architect Philip Johnson and opened on April 23, 1964. After the Fair, the State transferred ownership of the theater to the City of New York.The City leases the theater to Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Inc., which subleases it to City Center of Music and Drama, Inc. (CCMD). The present corporation of CCMD (separate and apart from New York City Center on 55th Street) continues to manage the theater today.Along with the opera and ballet companies, another early tenant of the theater was the now defunct Music Theater of Lincoln Center whose president was composer Richard Rodgers. In the mid 1960s, the company produced fully staged revivals of classic Broadway musicals. These included The King and I; Carousel (with original star, John Raitt); Annie Get Your Gun (revised in 1966 by Irving Berlin for its original star, Ethel Merman); Show Boat; and South Pacific.
The Ed Sullivan Theater, located at 1697–1699 Broadway between West 53rd and West 54th, in the Theater District in Manhattan, is a venerable radio and television studio in New York City. The theater has been used as a venue for live and taped CBS broadcasts since 1936.It is historically known as the home of The Ed Sullivan Show and the site of The Beatles' US debut performance. It has also housed David Letterman's tenure of CBS' Late Show from 1993 to 2015. The theatre currently houses The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, the second incarnation of the Late Show franchise. It is on the National Register of Historic Places, and the interior has been designated a landmark by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission.First 66 yearsThe 13-story, brown brick and terra cotta office building with a ground-floor theater was designed by architect Herbert J. Krapp. It was built by Arthur Hammerstein between 1925 and 1927, and was named Hammerstein's Theatre after his father, Oscar Hammerstein I. The original neo-Gothic interior contained pointed-arch stained-glass windows with scenes from the elder Hammerstein's operas. Its first production was the three-hour musical Golden Dawn, the second male lead of which was Cary Grant, then still using his birth name, Archie Leach. Arthur Hammerstein went bankrupt in 1931, and lost ownership of the building.
David Geffen Hall is a concert hall in New York City's Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts complex on Manhattan's Upper West Side. The 2,738 seat auditorium opened in 1962, and is the home of the New York Philharmonic.The facility, designed by Max Abramovitz, was originally named Philharmonic Hall and was renamed Avery Fisher Hall in honor of philanthropist Avery Fisher, who donated $10.5 million to the orchestra in 1973. In November 2014, Lincoln Center officials announced Fisher's name would be removed from the Hall so that naming rights could be sold to the highest bidder as part of a $500 million fund-raising campaign to refurbish the Hall. David Geffen has donated $100 million US dollars to rename the Hall after himself. The facility was renamed David Geffen Hall in 2015.RenovationsThe hall underwent renovations in 1976 to address acoustical problems that existed since it opened. Another smaller renovation attempted to address unresolved problems in 1992. Both projects achieved limited success.In May 2004, the orchestra announced that the building would undergo renovations in 2009, but in June 2006, The New York Times reported that the construction had been delayed until the summer of 2010. By 2012, it became clear that construction would not start before 2017. The shell of the building will be left intact and work will focus on improving the hall’s acoustics, modernizing patron amenities and reconfiguring the auditorium.
Alice Tully Hall is a concert hall at the Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts in Upper West Side, Manhattan, New York City. It is named for Alice Tully, a New York performer and philanthropist whose donations assisted in the construction of the hall. Tully Hall is located within the Juilliard Building, a Brutalist structure, which was designed by renowned architect Pietro Belluschi, and completed and opened in 1969. Since its opening, it has hosted numerous performances and events, including the New York Film Festival. Tully Hall seats 1,086 patrons.As part of the Lincoln Center 65th Street Development Project, the Juilliard School and Tully Hall underwent a major renovation and expansion by architects Diller Scofidio + Renfro and FXFOWLE completed in 2009. The building utilizes new interior materials, state-of-the-art technologies, and updated equipment for concerts, film, theater, and dance. The expansion of the Juilliard Building created a three-story all-glass lobby and sunken plaza beneath a new, cantilevered extension, “projecting a newly visible public identity to Broadway.”HistoryContext and constructionBefore the construction of Alice Tully Hall, most of the chamber music performances in New York City were held at The Town Hall on West 43rd Street, which had been built in 1921. The founders of Lincoln Center wished to have a chamber music hall in the complex, as there was still a need for a dedicated space. Before construction on Lincoln Center began, the architects considered placing a chamber music hall in the basement of Philharmonic Hall (since renamed David Geffen Hall, formerly Avery Fisher Hall). However, as the Juilliard School needed a concert hall that was equal in size to a chamber music hall, Lincoln Center decided to build one in the Juilliard building. Construction on the Juilliard building began in 1965 — on a site one block north of the original Lincoln Center complex and part of the parcel designated for improvement through urban renewal. The cost of the chamber music hall was approximately $4.2 million, all of which was covered by donations from Alice Tully, a New York chamber music patron and former singer.
Tavern on the Green is an American cuisine restaurant located in Central Park in Manhattan, New York City, near the intersection of Central Park West at West 66th Street on the Upper West Side. It originally operated from 1934 to 2009 under various owners. From 2010 until 2012, the building was used as a public visitors center and gift shop run by the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation. After undergoing a multimillion-dollar renovation, Tavern on the Green reopened as a restaurant on April 24, 2014.The restaurant in 2007 had gross revenues of $38 million, from more than 500,000 visitors, making it the second-highest-grossing independent restaurant in the United States (behind The Venetian's Tao restaurant in Las Vegas, at $67 million).HistoryThe building housing the restaurant was originally the sheepfold that housed the sheep that grazed Sheep Meadow, built to a design by Calvert Vaux in 1870. It became a restaurant as part of a 1934 renovation of the park under Robert Moses, New York City's Commissioner of Parks.War and post-war: 1930s through 1970sFrom 1934, the landmark restaurant was managed by restaurateurs licensed by the City of New York's Park Department. In 1943 Arnold Schleifer and his nephews, Arthur Schleifer and Julius Berman, won the contract to operate the restaurant. During their tenure, the dance floor was enlarged and nightly music was enjoyed. A large outdoor patio offered dining al fresco. Trees were first wrapped in the well-known twinkling lights around the property, and the Elm Tree Room was built to surround one of the city's classic American elms. The menu was designed to be elegant but affordable for New Yorkers. Luncheon and dinner offerings changed regularly, and Mr. Berman would often add special desserts to celebrate family events, e.g., "Parfait Ruth" to honor the birth of his granddaughter.
Alice Tully Hall, es la sala de conciertos para música de cámara del Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts en la ciudad estadounidense de Nueva York.Lleva el nombre de la filántropo Alice Tully con capacidad para 1096 y fue diseñado por Pietro Belluschi en 1969.Fue renovado completamente e inaugurado en febrero de 2009 (1).Es hogar de la The Chamber Music Society of Lincoln Center. Es también la sede del Festival de cine de Nueva York (New York Film Festival).Enlaces externos Sitio oficial Artículo del NYT sobre su reapertura(1)
The Lloyd George Sealy Library is the campus library at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, City University of New York (CUNY). Located in Haaren Hall, the library specializes in criminal justice-related materials.OverviewThe Lloyd Sealy Library serves the students, faculty, and staff of John Jay College of Criminal Justice. Other current members of the CUNY community and approved researchers also have access to the Library and its collections.Located on the first and second floors of Haaren Hall, the Library houses study space, computer labs, stacks (open circulating collection), reference (open non-circulating collection) and special collections (open and closed non-circulating collection). The first floor entrance is flanked by the Reserve Room computer lab and the Niederhoffer Lounge, named for Arthur Niederhoffer, one of the founding faculty members of the college.As of 2013, 17 faculty members and 17 staff members and adjunct librarians work at the Library.HistoryJohn Jay College of Criminal Justice was established in 1964 and first opened its doors to enrolled police officers in 1965. At the time, the college was located in the Police Academy building on East 20th St., in which 3,085 square feet was allotted to the Library. The first Chief Librarian was Howard D. Washburn, and under his leadership, two more librarians were hired before 1967. The Library began to amass its collections based on recommendations from the college's faculty. In addition, the Library made arrangements with criminal justice agencies across the country, including the New York Police Department, whose annual reports and patrol guides are deposited in the Library.
Le Walter Reade Theater est un cinéma indépendant d'Art et Essai faisant partie du Lincoln Center situé sur la ouest à Manhattan à New York. Inauguré le, il est géré par la Film Society of Lincoln Center et accueille chaque année différents festivals dont le plus important est le New York Film Festival.HistoriqueCette salle, ouverte le, doit son nom au producteur cinématographique et mécène Walter Reade.Le Walter Reade Theater organise chaque année une quinzaine de festivals, dont les plus importants sont le New York Film Festival (première quinzaine d'octobre), le New York Jewish Film Festival (en janvier), le Rendez-vous with French Cinema (en mars), le NY African Film Festival (en avril), le Spanish Cinema Now (en décembre).
The Ziegfeld Theatre was a single-screen movie theater located at 141 West 54th Street in midtown Manhattan, New York City. It opened in 1969 and closed in 2016. The theater was named in honor of the original Ziegfeld Theatre (1927–1966) which was built by the impresario Florenz Ziegfeld, Jr..HistoryOn December 17, 1969, a few hundred feet from the site of the original Ziegfeld Theatre, a new Ziegfeld opened as a single-screen movie house. Located at 141 West 54th Street, it was one of the last large-scale, single-screen movie palaces built in the United States.Constructed by Emery Roth & Sons from designs by Irving Gershon and red-carpeted interior designs by John J. McNamara, it had 1,152 seats (825 seats in the orchestra section and 306 seats in the tiered rear section). It was often used for world premieres and big-event press screenings, such as the November 1977 opening of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.The theater underwent extensive renovations in the late 1990s. It was a centerpiece site during the 2008 New York Film Festival because of reconstruction work at Lincoln Center that year. During the 2000s, digital projection was installed.The theater was the largest single-screen cinema operating in New York and was used for film premieres and gala events.