St. Mark's Episcopal Church, is an historic church in San Antonio, Texas, United States, founded as a parish in 1858 that was added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 12, 1998. Lady Bird Johnson and Lyndon B. Johnson were married at St. Mark's on November 17, 1934. The church is located at 315 East Pecan Street in Travis Park, in the heart of the River Walk District and is only four blocks from the Alamo. The rector is the Reverend Beth Knowlton (called to be rector on May 20, 2014).National Register listingSt. Mark's Episcopal Church(added 1998 - Building - #98000103)315 E. Pecan St., San AntonioFounded: 1858Built (completion): 1877Historic Significance: Architecture/EngineeringArchitect, builder, or engineer: et al., Upjohn, RichardArchitectural Style: Gothic Revival, Late 19th And 20th Century RevivalsArea of Significance: ArchitecturePeriod of Significance: 1850-1874, 1875–1899, 1925–1949, 1950–1974Owner: PrivateHistoric Function: ReligionHistoric Sub-function: Religious StructureCurrent Function: ReligionCurrent Sub-function: Religious Structure
Church Near St. Mark's Episcopal Church (San Antonio, Texas)
Church Under the Bridge is San Antonio's only church built specifically to minister to the spiritual needs of the homeless community. In addition to services 4 times a week, we feed them a well-balanced meal 3 nights a week, provide clean clothes and toiletries, and offer educational opportunities (discipleship training, bible studies, 12-steps) for spiritual development!
Join us Sundays at 9:30am for Bible Study and at 11:00am for Worship. Traditional and Contemporary Services are available.
For directions to our church, visit fbcsa.org/directions.
To find a Bible Study class, visit fbcsa.org/biblestudies.
Questions? Call our church office at 210-226-0363.
Greetings in the precious name of our Lord and Savior Jesus the Christ! Welcome to the Face Book page of Historic St. Paul United Methodist Church.
Here you will capture a glimpse of spiritual life at the oldest predominately African-American congregation in the city of San Antonio, Texas.
Since 1866, St. Paul has been a church where many have sought spiritual enrichment through God's grace to enhance the quality of their lives in the world.
The San Antonio Metropolitan Area Command provides the leadership, planning, coordination, and administration of all The Salvation Army's programs and services in Bexar and Comal Counties. Programs and services are provided to individuals and families, from infants to seniors, every day of the year to transform lives and make our neighborhoods and communities a better place for each of us. We provide services to all those in need, without discrimination.
We are a Spiritual community that knows that the time has come for all of us to honor the Spirit within each of us. We are a church that offers the tools for real living. We see the good in you and want to support you to shine that good in your life. We are alive, aware and awake to the love that is every where we invite you to join us for a VERY different kind of church. Come a be pulled by a vision!
Redeemer Church entered into this culturally rich and dynamic city in the summer of 2002 eager to share the ancient, yet timeless message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Redeemer is learning that the Gospel is not simply about sharing a message, doing better or being nicer, but about God’s renovation of the whole of our lives—giving us a new focus for worship, new fuel for life and new purpose for the future.
Our desire then, as is now, is to lovingly embrace and support the people and culture of San Antonio, not alienate or condemn. We see the needs and problems of our city as opportunities for service and sacrifice, not problems to overlook or abandon. Toward that end, Redeemer seeks to engage San Antonio's business, university, professional, medical and art communities in the hopes of seeing resources and people redirected by the love of Christ in order to bless the wider city.
Redeemer welcomes everyone—the seeker, skeptic and spiritually hungry. We desire to be a place of healing for those burn-out and wounded by the world and the church. We work hard to build bridges among the various ethnicities present in our city so that the Gospel's transforming message may touch more lives.
Travis Park is located in the Bexar County city of San Antonio in the U.S. state of Texas. The park was once part of the original Alamo Mission in San Antonio at its current location, and is situated across the street from the Saint Anthony Hotel. Francisco Garcia purchased the land in 1819. In 1851, the land was acquired by Samuel Augustus Maverick. Upon his deathin 1870, Maverick deeded the property to the city of San Antonio, which originally named it Travis Plaza, in honor of Alamo commandant William Barret Travis. In 1953, Maverick's granddaughter Rena Maverick Green spearheaded the San Antonio Conservation Society's successful campaign to save the facility from having an underground parking lot built beneath it. Many improvements have been made to the park over the years, through the generous donations of time and money from public entities and private individuals. The site currently hosts an annual outdoor jazz festival.
The Alamo Cenotaph, also known as the Spirit of Sacrifice, is a monument in San Antonio, Texas, United States, commemorating the Battle of the Alamo, which was fought at the adjacent Alamo Mission. The monument was erected in celebration of the centenary of the battle, and bears the names of those known to have fought there on the Texas side.HistoryAlthough there had been previous plans for Alamo monuments, starting in the late 1800s, the Alamo Cenotaph was the first such erected in San Antonio. (There had been one previous monument in Austin, but it was lost in a Capitol fire.) During the 1936 Texas Centennial celebration, the state of Texas provided $100,000 for the monument, commissioned from local sculptor Pompeo Coppini. San Antonio mayor Maury Maverick held a dedication ceremony on November 11, 1940.The shaft rises sixty feet from its base and is forty feet long and twelve feet wide. The monument was erected in grey Georgia marble and pink Texas granite. It was entitled The Spirit of Sacrifice and incorporates images of the Alamo garrison leaders and 187 names of known Alamo defenders, derived from the research of historian Amelia Williams. Later research has shown some listed on the cenotaph were not there, and the total of Alamo combatants has risen with newer research.InscriptionThe marker on the cenotaph reads:Erected in memory of the heroes who sacrificed their lives at the Alamo, March 6, 1836, in the defense of Texas. They chose never to surrender nor retreat; these brave hearts, with flag still proudly waving, perished in the flames of immortality that their high sacrifice might lead to the founding of this Texas.
El Cenotafio de El Álamo también conocido como el Espíritu de sacrificio, es un monumento en el distrito histórico de la Plaza del Álamo del centro de San Antonio, en el estado de Texas al sur de los Estados Unidos. El escultor principal fue el italiano Pompeo Luigi Coppini. Allí se conmemora la batalla de El Álamo, que se luchó en la adyacente Misión de El Álamo. El monumento fue erigido en conmemoración del centenario de la batalla, y lleva los nombres de los que se conocen para haber luchado allí por el lado de Texas. En el cenotafio se lee: Erigido en memoria de los héroes que sacrificaron sus vidas en el Álamo, el 6 de marzo de 1836 en la «defensa de Texas», "Eligieron nunca rendirse ni retroceder, estos valientes corazones con la bandera aún ondeando con orgullo perecieron en las llamas de la inmortalidad que con su gran sacrificio dieron lugar a la fundación de esta Texas".Véase también Cenotafio Monumento funerario Monumento conmemorativo
Established in 1718 as Mission San Antonio de Valero, for over 300 years, the former mission now known as the Alamo has been a crossroads of history. Having existed under six flags of independent nations and served as a garrison for five different armies, the Alamo has a rich history and a heritage to inspire all Texans. Although the site is best known as the site of the 1836 Battle of the Alamo, all 300 years of Alamo history are vital to our story.
The St. Joseph Catholic Church is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of San Antonio, located at 623 East Commerce Street in downtown San Antonio, Texas, United States. The Gothic Revival house of worship was the fourth Catholic parish in the city.The church is an example of what the Chinese describe as a nail house; when the church refused to sell to a property developer a large shopping mall was constructed around it.Parish historyThe church occupies the probable second site of the Missión San Antonio de Valero, before it was moved in 1724 to its present location. The cornerstone of the church was laid in 1868, and it was finally completed in 1871. It served a large and growing community of German immigrants. In the 1870s, Friar Henry Pfefferkorn, founder of the Liederkranz, painted the Annunciation and Assumption murals on the side altars. A steeple was added in 1898. Stained glass windows, imported from the Emil Frei Art Glass Factory in Munich, Germany, were installed in 1902.In 1944, Joske's department store offered to buy the church grounds in order to develop it commercially. Parishioners unanimously refused the offer to move from the site and so instead Joske's built around the three sides of the church, earning the church from locals the moniker "St. Joske's". A restoration was commenced in 1981. Today, the parish serves as home to a multicultural community and as a popular attraction for tourists. Spanish-language masses are held with mariachi music and the San Antonio Liederkranz sings once a month.
The Holiday Inn Express San Antonio N-Riverwalk Area is a hotel in downtown San Antonio, Texas, USA.Built in 1878, the five-story building is rich in history and served as the San Antonio Bexar County Jail until 1962. In recent years, before becoming a hotel, the building was a records depot for both the city and county and is currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places.The five-story stone and brick structure was originally designed by prominent architect Alfred Giles as a two-story limestone facility containing twenty jail cells. Because of a rapid increase in the city's population, Henry T. Phelps designed a third-floor addition and remodeled the building in 1912, transforming it to the Mission Revival style.In 1926, a second expansion was designed by Atlee and Robert Ayres, a father-and-son team and leading architects of their time. The entire appearance of the building was changed, with the addition of two floors, a reconfiguration of window openings, and a projecting entry with an arched entrance porch. The present façade's appearance dates to that design, when the structure was faced in brick.
La cathédrale de San Fernando est une cathédrale de l'Église catholique romaine située dans le centre de San Antonio, au Texas. Elle est l'église principale de l'archidiocèse de San Antonio et le siège de son archevêque.La cathédrale est inscrite sur le National Register of Historic Places car c'est l'une des plus anciennes cathédrales des États-Unis.
The Magik Theatre was created as a voice for young people and families throughout the region, producing live stage versions of children's classic and contemporary literature. Since opening its doors in 1994, The Magik Theatre has played to over 1.5 million children and their families. Discover the place where books come to life - The Magik Theatre.
José Antonio Navarro was an influential political figure during the momentous 55 years (1810–1865) when Texas’ destiny was forged. Navarro served in Texas legislatures under Mexico, the Republic of Texas and the state of Texas. In addition, he served on the committees that wrote the first two Texas constitutions in 1836 and 1845.
Although a prominent, influential leader, Navarro was not a professional politician. As a young man he learned the merchant trade, the occupation of his father. Factories from the United States and Europe sent ships loaded with merchandise to New Orleans, where Navarro arranged to import books, cloth, clothing, wine, sugar, rice and coffee.
Navarro also earned a living through land investment. During the 1830s, he purchased more than 50,000 acres of ranch land at a price of pennies per acre. Because thousands of people were immigrating into Texas, the demand for land increased. Navarro sold portions of his land holdings for up to three dollars per acre. His San Antonio rental properties also produced income.
His wife Margarita de la Garza was also a native of San Antonio. Between 1817 and 1837, she bore four sons and three daughters. Numerous descendants live in and around San Antonio, with many more scattered throughout the country.
The mission of Casa Navarro is to preserve and maintain the historical integrity of the site’s buildings, while interpreting 19th-century Tejano culture through the life and times of José Antonio Navarro.
Casa Navarro State Historic Site is a Texas Historical Commission (THC) property. The THC’s mission is to protect and preserve the state's historic and prehistoric resources for the use, enjoyment and economic benefit of present and future generations.
San Antonio is an Amtrak railroad station located on the eastern portion of Downtown San Antonio, in San Antonio, Texas.ServiceSan Antonio Station serves two Amtrak lines; the Sunset Limited and the Texas Eagle. The two lines are actually part of the same train from Los Angeles, California, but splits at this station with the Sunset Limited continuing onto New Orleans, Louisiana and the Texas Eagle to Chicago, Illinois.San Antonio Station provides an Amtrak Thruway Motorcoach route serving Harlingen, Brownsville, and McAllen, Texas.HistoryAmtrak previously utilized the historic Southern Pacific Railroad Station, that was also known as the Sunset Station. It was designed by SP's architect Daniel J. Patterson in the Spanish Mission Revival style, and built in 1902 by the SP. The train station was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975.