6671 W Sunset Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90028 (323) 463-5611
Crossroads of the World has been called America's first outdoor shopping mall. Located on Sunset Boulevard and Las Palmas in Los Angeles, the mall features a central building designed to resemble an ocean liner surrounded by a small village of cottage-style bungalows. It was designed by Robert V. Derrah and built in 1936.Once a busy shopping center, the Crossroads now hosts private offices, primarily for the entertainment industry. It has been used for location shooting in many films, including L.A. Confidential, The Adventures of Ford Fairlane, and ''Café Society, in TV shows, including Dragnet and Remington Steele, and in commercials by McDonald's, Ford, and Mattel. A reproduction of Crossroads' iconic tower and spinning globe can be seen just inside the entrance to Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World in Florida.Today, Crossroads is the creative home of a variety of music publishers and producers, television and film script writers, film and recording companies, novelists, costume designers, publicists, and casting agencies.
Avalon is one of Hollywood’s most historic landmarks. From The Beatles first West Coast performance in 1964 to ABC’s hit ‘Hollywood Palace’ hosted by Jerry Lewis and Sasha’s first West Coast DJ residency, the theater at Hollywood and Vine has been a show-business epicenter since opening in 1927.
Fan Pages ::
The Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel is a historic hotel located at 7000 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California. It opened its doors on May 15, 1927, and is the oldest continually operating hotel in Los Angeles.HistoryThe hotel was built in 1926, in what is known as the Golden Era of Los Angeles architecture, and was named after the 26th president of the United States, Theodore Roosevelt. It was financed by a group that included Louis B. Mayer, Mary Pickford, Douglas Fairbanks and Sid Grauman. It cost $2.5 million to complete and opened on May 15, 1927.The hotel went into a decline in the 1950s. An owner around that time demolished its archways, covered up its elaborately painted ceilings and painted the entire hotel seafoam green. Radisson Hotels purchased the hotel in 1985 and, using original blueprints and historic photos of the hotel's Spanish Colonial architecture, undertook a $35 million renovation, restoring the lobby's coffered ceiling and adding a three-tiered fountain, among other improvements. The million-dollar mural at the bottom of the hotel's Tropicana Pool was painted by David Hockney in 1987.On August 13, 1991, the City of Los Angeles declared the hotel building Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument #545. In 1995, the hotel was purchased from Clarion Hotels by Goodwin Gaw, with David Chang later becoming co-owner. In 2005, the hotel's management was taken over by the Thompson Hotel Group. A $30 million renovation of the hotel was embarked upon in 2005, led by the Dodd Mitchell Design Group, and David Siguaw. Since 2015, the hotel has been run independently by its own management company. In 2015, the hotel completed a $25 million renovation with rooms designed by Yabu Pushelberg, and plans for a new poolside food and beverage outlet.
The Hollywood Studio Club was a chaperoned dormitory, sometimes referred to as a sorority, for young women involved in the motion picture business from 1916 to 1975. Located in the heart of Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, the Studio Club was run by the YWCA and housed some 10,000 women during its 59-year existence. It was the home at various times to many Hollywood celebrities, including Marilyn Monroe, Ayn Rand, Donna Reed, Kim Novak, Maureen O'Sullivan, Rita Moreno, Barbara Eden, and Sharon Tate. The building was designed by noted California architect Julia Morgan in the Italian Renaissance Revival architectural style, who also designed Hearst Castle. The Studio Club closed in 1975, and the building was used as a YWCA-run Job Corps dormitory until April 30, 2012. It was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979 and remains the property of the YWCA Greater Los Angeles.
The Ravenswood is a historic apartment building at 570 North Rossmore Avenue in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California. Designed by architect Max Maltzman and built by Paramount Pictures in 1930, it is considered a landmark Art Deco masterpiece. It has been declared a Historic-Cultural Monument (no. 768) by the City of Los Angeles.HistoryThroughout the years, it housed several movie stars, including Mae West, Ava Gardner and Clark Gable.Mae West moved into Apartment #611, a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit, shortly after her arrival in Hollywood in 1932. The apartment had been reserved for her by Paramount and she liked it so much she never left. Offered a lifetime lease, she eventually had a share in the building when she lent the owners some money and they used the building as collateral. West lived there until her death in 1980.Artist Felix Gonzalez-Torres also resided here for a time.
The Jim Henson Company Lot is a studio property located just south of the southeast corner of La Brea Avenue and Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood. It was built in 1917 by silent and sound film star Charlie Chaplin.After being sold by Chaplin in 1953, the property went through several changes in ownership and has served at various times as Kling Studios, the Red Skelton Studios, the shooting location for the Adventures of Superman and Perry Mason television series, and as the headquarters for A&M Records and The Jim Henson Company. In 1969, it was designated as a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument.HistoryConstructionIn October 1917, Charlie Chaplin announced plans to build his own film studio at the southeast corner of La Brea and Sunset Boulevard. In his autobiography, Chaplin described the decision as follows:"At the end of the Mutual contract, I was anxious to get started with First National, but we had no studio. I decided to buy land in Hollywood and build one. The site was the corner of Sunset and La Brea and had a very fine ten-room house and five acres of lemon, orange and peach trees. We built a perfect unit, complete with developing plant, cutting room, and offices."Chaplin purchased the site from R.S. McClellan, who lived on the site and had a large grove of orange trees on the property. The lot had 300ft of frontage on Sunset and 600ft on La Brea, extending south to De Longpre. Chaplin announced he would make his home on the northern part of the property, and build his own motion picture plant on the south part of the property, cornering at La Brea and De Longpre. Chaplin's plans for six English-style buildings, "arranged as to give the effect of a picturesque English village street," were published in the Los Angeles Times in October 1917. The plans were prepared by the Milwaukee Building Company (Meyer & Holler), and the total investment was estimated to be approximately $100,000. The layout of the buildings was described by the Los Angeles Times in 2002 as a "fairy-tale cottage complex." Another writer has described the style as "eccentric Peter Pan architecture."
The United States Post Office in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, also known as Hollywood Station, is an active U.S. post office located at 1615 Wilcox, between Sunset and Hollywood Boulevards. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.DesignIn 1937, renowned Art Deco architect Claud Beelman, a partner at Curlett + Beelman, was commissioned by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) to design the Hollywood Post Office Building. He worked with the Los Angeles architectural firm Allison & Allison. Claud Beelman was a self-trained draftsman turned "moderne" architect in the early 20th century. He designed the Los Angeles County Fair Gallery, also commissioned by the WPA in 1937.A wooden bas-relief for interior lobby, titled "The Horseman", was carved by artist Gordon Newell as a Treasury Relief Art Project commission. It is still in the building, located over a doorway.Using a steam shovel, the ground breaking was done by the infamous movie censor Will H. Hays of the Motion Picture Production Code (Hays Code). The post office is one of the few historic government buildings remaining relatively unchanged in Hollywood.
Hollywood Masonic Temple, now known as the El Capitan Entertainment Centre, is a building on Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. The building, built in 1921, was designed by architect John C. Austin, also noted as the lead architect of the Griffith Observatory. The Masons operated the temple until 1982, when they sold the building after several years of declining membership. The 34,000-square-foot building was then converted into a theater and nightclub, and ownership subsequently changed several times, until it was bought by the Walt Disney Company's Buena Vista Pictures Distribution in 1998 for Buena Vista Theatres, Inc.Buena Vista Theatres uses it as a promotion tool by creating themed environments to go along with movie premieres. The center is also rented out for industry parties, premieres, record releases and product roll-outs. Since 2003, the building's theater has been the home of Jimmy Kimmel Live!.The building is rumored to have had a secret tunnel to Grauman's Chinese Theater that would allow movie stars to evade mobs at movie premieres. If it existed it is possible that the Red Line subway construction destroyed the tunnel.HistoryThe Masonic TempleIn 1922, the Hollywood Lodge of the Masons relocated from their existing lodge on the current site of the Dolby Theatre. The construction of the new three-story building was led by lodge master Charles E. Toberman, who was responsible for the Hollywood Bowl, Grauman's Chinese Theatre, the Roosevelt Hotel and the Max Factor Building. The original building cost $176,678, with a sum of $56,421 allotted to furniture and fixtures and $36,295 for the purchase of the lot. Toberman and fellow member Charles Boag formed a Hollywood Masonic Club to partly finance the building offering membership subscriptions for $100.
Montecito Apartments is a large apartment building in Hollywood, California, USA. It was built in 1935 in the zig-zag Art Deco style and was the home for many Hollywood celebrities, including James Cagney, Mickey Rooney and Montgomery Clift. It was also Ronald Reagan’s first home when he moved to Hollywood in 1937. In 1985, the building was converted to a low-income housing project for senior citizens.Early yearsThe building was built in 1935 with 95 units at a cost of $1 million. Set on a hill overlooking the city, the Montecito is the highest building in Hollywood. It has a private swimming pool, two subterranean garages and a parking lot. The building is a classic Art Deco design with Mayan influences and windows arranged in vertical blinds. In 1946, it was sold for $600,000. In 1954, it was sold again, this time by Isadore and Libby Teacher to Howard Fox and Harry Wyatt.Home for Ronald Reagan and other actorsThe Montecito was once frequented by movie stars, especially New York based actors while working in Hollywood. It was Ronald Reagan’s first residence when he moved to Hollywood; Reagan lived at the Montecito from June 1937 to late 1938. Reagan was said to have been roommates at the Montecito with Mickey Rooney. Other celebrities who have lived at the Montecito include James Cagney, George C. Scott, Montgomery Clift, Geraldine Page, Don Johnson, Sal Mineo, and Ben Vereen.
Villa Bonita is an historic apartment building on Hillcrest Road in Hollywood, California. The building is located a short walk from the corner of Hollywood Boulevard and Highland Avenue, just north of Franklin Avenue and west of Highland. It was designed by Frank Webster and built in 1929. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986 based on its architecture.The seven-floor building was originally built for the cast and crew of director Cecil B. DeMille. Since then, it has housed the likes of Errol Flynn and Francis Ford Coppola.
There's nothing more I love than to share with you the paranormal world. Whether it's the latest (or iconic) spooky movies, our haunted walking tours in Hollywood, ghosts, pop culture, quantum physics, folklore, spirituality, aliens, parallel dimensions and other oddities of human consciousness within our universe, we hope to educate you in these topics and arouse your curiosity in the paranormal.
My name is Kim E., and I'd love for you to join me in the opening and expanding of our minds to try to understand and tap into worlds and dimensions that are still undiscovered, but not unfamiliar to us.
We have a Meetup group for the community called "Ghost, Goosebumps, and Gizmos In The City Of Dark Angels" to gather like-minded people and really do things. We also hope to see you on one of our tours in Hollywood or join our Meetup to attend an upcoming event in the future!
White house (Washington D.C.)Distance: 0.7 miCompetitive Analysis 1600 Pennsylvania Ave Los Angeles, CA 20500
The Samuel Freeman House is a Frank Lloyd Wright house in the Hollywood Hills of Los Angeles built in 1923.As an example of Wright's pre-Columbian or early Modernist architecture, the structure is noteworthy as one of the four "textile block" houses built by Wright in the Los Angeles area, the others being Storer House, Ennis House, and Millard House. The construction manager on site was Wright's son, Lloyd Wright.In 1986, the Freeman House was bequeathed to the USC School of Architecture. In 2005, a stabilization project was completed using a $901,000 FEMA grant and $1.5 million in school funds. A full restoration still needs to be completed due to earthquake damage.
St. Andrews Bungalow Court is a grouping of bungalows built in 1919 in the Colonial Revival style in Hollywood, California. Based on the structures' well-preserved multi-family courtyard architecture, the grouping was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998.
Whitley Court is a cluster of Spanish Colonial bungalows built from 1903 to 1919 just north of Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California.The first structure, built in 1903, was a two-story Colonial Revival house with a round bay turret designed by Dennis & Farwell for the Whitley family. The original house was moved to the back of the property to make room for four additional two-story residential buildings. The buildings provided housing for those employed in the booming film industry, and its residents are rumored to have included Theda Bara in the 1920s and Sylvia Sidney in the 1930s.In 1974, the buildings were converted to a mix of residential and office space. During the 1992 Los Angeles riots, fires burned just 150 feet from Whitley Court, but residents protected the structures with hoses. At the time, one of the owners said, "These buildings are important. You can't replace a historic building. When it burns, you lose it forever."Whitley Court was designated a Historic Cultural Monument (HCM #448) by the Los Angeles Cultural Heritage Commission in 1988, and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2004.