The James Charnley Residence is located in Chicago's Gold Coast neighborhood, at 1365 North Astor Street. The house is now called the Charnley–Persky House and is operated as a museum and organization headquarters by The Society of Architectural Historians (SAH). An Adler & Sullivan design, the townhouse is the work of Louis Sullivan and a young Frank Lloyd Wright, who was a junior draftsman in Sullivan's office at the time. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.The house was completed in 1892 for Charnley, a Chicago lumberman who lived in the house with his family for about a decade. The building was later owned by members of the Waller family, who invested in real estate. The house was purchased by the architectural firm of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill in 1986 and subsequently restored. Seymour Persky purchased the house in 1995 and donated it to the SAH who renamed the building to the Charnley–Persky House to honor their benefactor.The plain brick facade with simple ornamentation was quite different from other houses on the Gold Coast, but the interior is distinguished by rich ornamentation that is typical of Sullivan's work.
Community and Government Near James Charnley House
North Avenue Beach is located in Lincoln Park at 1600 N. Lake Shore Drive (North Ave. @ Lake Michigan). As one of Chicago's most popular beaches, the beach features a unique and popular beach house that contains 22,000 square feet of space that features something for everyone and is permanently docked along this popular beach. This sleek, ocean liner-inspired building, decked out in a crisp blue and white, boasts one of the best views in the city. The beach house has upper decks and portholes for looking at the magnificent horizon or the multitudes of bikers, runners, walkers and rollerbladers streaming down the lakefront trail. In May 2000, Mayor Richard M. Daley dedicated the North Avenue Beach House during a grand opening event for the public that included games for kids, free sand pails, refreshments and a jazz band.
North Avenue Beach offers an array of amenities and recreational opportunities for beach goers to enjoy that include:
Castaways Bar and Grill is the best location on North Avenue Beach for great food and ice cold drinks. The first level features an ice cream café and beachside burgers with casual walk-up stands. The rooftop features tasty appetizers, sandwiches, fresh salads and refreshing desserts.
Rent, repair or buy a bike from Lakeshore Bike 'n Tune right at North Avenue Beach!
NAB Sports offers one of a kind open-air sports facility at North Avenue Beach offering roller hockey, dodgeball, fitness classes, hockey and dodgeball tournaments, and exciting special events.
Sun and Moon Beach Yoga offers outdoor beach yoga seven days a week at North Avenue Beach for all levels during sun-rise, late morning and during the sunset.
Boucher Brothers offering top of the line luxury lounge chairs and large umbrellas.
Food concessions from Pronto Pups offering beverages and hotdogs on a stick, Stefani's Restaurant next to hockey rink and cotton candy.
Great Lakes Board Company offers beach goers a chance to hit the waves with wakeboard and paddle board rentals.
Kayak Chicago, the premier full service outfitter in Chicago, offers kayak rentals at North Avenue Beach.
Rent jetskis from Windy City Watersports!
Retail vendor selling Havaianas Sandals.
Retail vendors selling clothes, sundries, souveniers and beverages.
Rent volleyball courts and equipment by calling (312) 742-3776. Courts rent for $10 per hour. Equipment rental is $10 with valid ID. Reserve up to six days in advance.
There is an ADA accessible beach walk and restrooms available. Three ATM machines located at the beach house. Distance swimming is available at beaches 3 & 4 (north of boathouse), parallel to shore. Paid parking lot is also available with limited parking; therefore, public transportation is highly encouraged.
Lincoln Park, is one of the North side community areas of Chicago, Illinois, USA. Named after Lincoln Park, a vast stretch of park belonging to the Chicago Park District, the community area is anchored by the Lincoln Park Zoo and DePaul University. Lincoln Park is bordered by the community areas of Lakeview to the north, North Center to the northwest, Logan Square to the west, West Town to the southwest, and Near North to the south.
Lincoln Park's boundaries are precisely defined in the city's list of official community areas. It is bordered on the north by Diversey Parkway, on the west by the Chicago River, on the south by North Avenue, and on the east by Lake Michigan.
It encompasses a number of neighborhoods, including Lincoln Central, Mid-North, Old Town Triangle, Park West, RANCH Triangle, Sheffield, West DePaul and Wrightwood Neighbors. The area also includes most of the Clybourn Corridor retail district, which continues into the Near North Side.
Lincoln Park is home to Lincoln Park High School, Francis W. Parker School, and DePaul University. Many students who attend these schools now live in this neighborhood. Lincoln Park is also home to four architecturally significant churches: St. Vincent de Paul Parish, St. Clement Church, St. Josaphat's (one of the many so-called 'Polish Cathedrals' in Chicago), and St. Michael's Church in the Old Town Triangle area of Lincoln Park. Visible from throughout the neighborhood, these monumental edifices tower over the neighborhood, lending the area much of its charm. The neighborhood also houses Children's Memorial Hospital and the currently closed Lincoln Park Hospital, which is slated for redevelopment to condominiums, medical offices, retail and commercial to be renamed Webster Square.
The neighborhood contains large number of upscale national retailers, boutiques, bookstores, restaurants and coffee shops. An Apple Store opened in October, 2010, as well as a Lacoste store across the street. There are also many bars and clubs in the area, especially along Lincoln Avenue between Wrightwood and Webster.
Lincoln Park is one of the wealthiest and most expensive communities in which to live. While the average single family house is priced around 1 million dollars, many homes in the area sell for more than 10 million dollars. In 2007, Forbes magazine named the area between Armitage Avenue, Willow Street, Burling Street, and Orchard Street as the most expensive block in Chicago
The Magnificent Mile, sometimes referred to as The Mag Mile, is an upscale section of Chicago's Michigan Avenue, running from the Chicago River to Oak Street in the Near North Side. The district is located adjacent to downtown, and one block east of Rush Street. The Magnificent Mile serves as the main thoroughfare between Chicago's Loop business district and its Gold Coast. It is generally the western boundary of the Streeterville neighborhood, to its east and River North to the west.Real estate developer Arthur Rubloff of Rubloff Company gave the district its nickname in the 1940s. Currently Chicago's largest shopping district, various mid-range and high-end shops line this section of the street; approximately 3100000sqft are occupied by retail, restaurants, museums and hotels. To date, rent on The Magnificent Mile is the eighth most expensive in the country, behind Fifth Avenue in New York and Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.Several of the tallest buildings in the United States, such as the John Hancock Center and the Trump International Hotel and Tower, lie in the district. Landmarks along the Magnificent Mile include Wrigley Building, Tribune Tower, the Chicago Water Tower, and the Allerton Hotel.
The Palmolive Building, formerly the Playboy Building, is a 37-storey Art Deco building at 919 N. Michigan Avenue in Chicago. Built by Holabird & Root, it was completed in 1929 and was home to the Colgate-Palmolive-Peet corporation.The Palmolive Building was renamed the Playboy Building in 1965 when Playboy Enterprises purchased the leasehold of the building. It was home to the editorial and business offices of Playboy magazine from that time until 1989 when Playboy moved its offices to 680 N Lake Shore Drive. Playboy had sold the leasehold in 1980 and signed a 10-year lease that expired in 1990. The new leaseholder renamed the building 919 North Michigan Avenue.During the time that Playboy was in the building, the word P-L-A-Y-B-O-Y was spelled out in 9ft illuminated letters. The building was designated a Chicago Landmark in 2000, and it was added to the federal National Register of Historic Places in 2003.In 2001, the building was sold to developer Draper and Kramer who, with Booth Hansen Architects, converted it to residential use with the first two floors dedicated to upscale office and retail space. High-end condos make up the rest of the building. The new owners restored the building's name to the Palmolive Building. The business address remains 919 North Michigan Avenue; however, the residential address is 159 East Walton Street. Notable residents of the building include Vince Vaughn, who bought a 12,000-square-foot triplex penthouse encompassing the 35th, 36th and 37th floors for $12,000,000. In February 2013, Vaughn offered the penthouse for sale as a pocket listing for $24.9 million. However, after multiple price cuts he chose in May 2016 to divide the unit in two, offering one for $8.5 million, and the other smaller unit for $4.2 million.
One Magnificent Mile is a mixed-use high-rise tower completed in 1983 at the northern end of Michigan Avenue on the Magnificent Mile in Chicago containing upscale retailers on the ground floor, followed by office space above that and luxury condominium apartments on top.Building OverviewOne Magnificent Mile Condominium Association, also known as One Mag Mile or One Magnificent Mile is a mixed-use retail, office and residential skyscraper in downtown Chicago, Illinois. The building was aptly named after its location at the head of the Magnificent Mile shopping corridor immediately adjacent to the exclusive Oak Street shops.The 57-story building* has 58,734 square feet of retail space on the first three levels, and 341,470 square feet of office space on its middle floors 4 through 19. The mechanicals for the entire structure are housed on floors 20 and 21 along with a swim club and fitness center serving the 181 private residences on floors 22-56. The lower level and sub-basement contain a parking garage.Design & ArchitectureThe building was designed by Skidmore, Owings and Merrill with lead architect Bruce Graham. The 57-story Spanish pink granite clad structure reaches a height of 673 feet, which at time of construction was the 10th tallest building in Chicago. Renowned structural engineer Fazlur Kahn who previously engineered the John Hancock Building and Sears Tower is responsible for the unique tube system. In 1984 this building won the Best Structure Award from the Structural Engineers Association of Illinois.The building is actually four hexagonal reinforced concrete tube structures of differing heights linked in a bundled configuration, the tube heights reach 5, 21, 49 and 57* floors. Each of the tubes has a sloping roof. Penthouse units feature greenhouses and outdoor terraces. Each hexagonal tube is designed with two 90 degree and four 45 degree corners which allow the building to face Lake Michigan and Oak Street Beach, while remaining aligned with Walton Street, Michigan Avenue and Oak Street. The tubes' heights were calculated to minimize afternoon shadows on the beach.
The Palmer Mansion, constructed 1882–1885 at 1350 N. Lake Shore Drive, was once the largest private residence in Chicago, Illinois, located in the Near North Side neighborhood and facing Lake Michigan. It was designed by architects Henry Ives Cobb and Charles Sumner Frost of the firm Cobb and Frost and built for Bertha and Potter Palmer. Palmer was a prominent Chicago businessman who was responsible for much of the development of State Street. The construction of the Palmer Mansion on Lake Shore Drive established the "Gold Coast" neighborhood, still one of the most affluent neighborhoods in the city. The mansion was demolished in 1950.HistoryConstructionAt the time of the construction of the mansion, Potter Palmer was already responsible for much of the development of State Street. After the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, the buildings on State Street were destroyed, and Palmer was yet again responsible for its redevelopment. Construction on the mansion began in 1882, and its exterior work was completed in 1883. However, interior decoration would continue for another two years before the building was entirely complete.Henry Ives Cobb and Charles Frost were chosen as the architects for the mansion. The interiors were completed under the direction of architect Joseph Lyman Silsbee. John Newquist, who had already worked with Palmer on numerous other constructions, was chosen as the contractor and stair constructer. Although it was originally budgeted at $90,000, after five years of construction, the mansion would cost the Palmers more than a million dollars.
Konsulat Generalny Polski w Chicago, Konsulat Generalny Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej w Chicago, założony w 1920, jest jednym z trzech konsulatów generalnych w Stanach Zjednoczonych.Placówka o wielkim znaczeniu zarówno dla Polski, jak i Polonii w Chicago, gdzie zamieszkuje od 300 tysięcy do miliona obywateli polskiego pochodzenia.Początki29 stycznia 1919 prezydent Woodrow Wilson przesłał na ręce Ignacego Paderewskiego, premiera nowego polskiego rządu, telegram potwierdzający uznanie Polski jako niepodległego państwa. Dziennik "New York Times" poinformował o decyzji prezydenta pierwszostronicowym tytułem głównym "Uznajemy Polskę!" (ang. We Recognize Poland!).Pod koniec października przybył do Waszyngtonu książę Kazimierz Lubomirski z zadaniem otwarcia Poselstwa Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej w stolicy USA, które – w 1929, z okazji 150 rocznicy śmierci Kazimierza Pułaskiego – podniesiono do rangi ambasady. Wcześniej, bo w czerwcu 1919, do Nowego Jorku przypłynął (wraz z gronem 11 współpracowników) Konstanty Buszczyński, który na początku lipca zaczął urzędować jako konsul generalny.Planowano otworzyć też placówki konsularne w Chicago, San Francisco, Pittsburghu i Buffalo. Ostatecznie powstały konsulaty generalne w Nowym Jorku i Chicago, konsulat w Pittsburgu oraz wicekonsulaty w Buffalo i San Francisco. Ten ostatni był placówką tymczasową, utworzoną w związku z reemigracją Polaków, przez Harbin i Władywostok z bolszewickiej Rosji. Po jego likwidacji w styczniu 1921 otwarto konsulat w Detroit.
The 58th Annual Chicago Air and Water Show is one of the largest and longest running events of its kind in the US. Enjoy aviations finest civilian and military pilots as they thrill millions along Chicago's lakefront. FREE Admission. North Avenue Beach, 1600 N. Lake Shore Drive.
August 19-20, 2017, 10 am - 3 pm
Headliners: U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds, U.S. Army Golden Knights and the U.S. Navy Leap Frogs
Located on the 94th floor of the historic John Hancock Center in the heart of downtown Chicago, 360 CHICAGO offers breathtaking views of the city and Lake Michigan from over 1,000 feet above the Magnificent Mile.
Brush up on Chicago's fascinating history and learn more about the city's wonderfully diverse neighborhoods in our newly renovated entry area before taking a speedy trip to the observation deck on North America's fastest elevators.
Once upstairs, enjoy a cocktail or coffee at our brand new bar while watching the sunset, explore interactive panoramic touchscreens in seven languages, and don't forget to try TILT – an exhilarating one-of-a-kind attraction that literally TILT's visitors to a 30° angle over Michigan Avenue.
With beautiful 360° views spanning four states, 360 CHICAGO is a photographer's dream and the ultimate way to capture the best of Chicago from above.
We are conveniently located on Michigan Avenue near the city's best hotels and shopping. Make us your first stop!
-Saturday Evening Vigil Masses: 5:15 p.m., 7:30 p.m.
-Sunday: 7:00, 8:15, 9:30, 11:00 a.m.; 12:30, 5:15 p.m.
-Weekdays: 6:00, 7:00, 8:00 a.m.; 12:10, 5:15 p.m.
-Saturday: 8:00 a.m., 12:10 p.m.
Holy Name Cathedral is the seat of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago, one of the largest Roman Catholic dioceses in the United States. It is also the parish church of the Archbishop of Chicago. Located in Chicago, Illinois in the United States, Holy Name Cathedral replaced the Cathedral of Saint Mary and the Church of the Holy Name, both destroyed by the Great Chicago Fire in October 1871. The Cathedral was dedicated on November 21, 1875.
Saint Valentine's Day massacre Distance: 1.0 miCompetitive Analysis 2122 N Clark St Chicago, IL 60614
Kevin Ashtari learned a couple things in the U.S. Navy: how to replace the explosives under the ejection seat of an EA-6B Prowler and how to roast a perfect batch of coffee beans on a gas-powered barbecue grill. Every step he takes to get it from raw green beans into that cup is small-scale, lovingly methodical, and hands-on. He invested in a custom-built 12-kilo roaster from the U.S. Roaster Corporation that takes up one corner of the space. "I was looking for a manual roaster without a computer," he says. Every day or two he roasts a new, small batch. Asado Coffee Roasters
Named the best cup of coffee by Chicago Magazine and best roaster by Chicago Reader in 2010, Asado Coffee’s second shop in Ukrainian Village offers up coffees by the cup from Japanese drippers, café con leche and an assortment of pastries. The espresso drinks are made using The Mirage, which owner founder Kevin Ashtari calls the Holy Grail of machines in the coffee world.
Welcome to Chicago Forever Marilyn Distance: 1.2 miCompetitive Analysis 435 N Michigan Ave Chicago, IL 60611