Millions of people visit the River Walk each year to enjoy this unusual urban sanctuary that winds along the San Antonio River in central San Antonio, one story below the bustling street level. Restaurants, galleries and shops line the banks of the downtown River Walk while the north and south banks of the River are less commercial.
The River Walk’s new Museum Reach opened in May 2009 and stretches north along the San Antonio River, and connects the existing River Walk to the San Antonio Museum of Art and the 125-year-old Pearl Brewery, a vibrant urban village. New public art installations, by local, national and international artists, line the banks.
A lock and dam system, the only one in Texas, overcomes a 9-ft. rise in elevation. Take a river taxi and navigate right through the lock and dam.
The Museum Reach is the first phase of a concerted community effort to revitalize the San Antonio River begun in 1998. A comprehensive, multi-year project is underway to restore and enhance 13 miles of the San Antonio River both north and south of downtown.
Take a Sunset River Cruise
One of the best ways to see the new art installations along the River Walk Museum Reach is a sunset taxi ride. You'll see the full charm and beauty of the art lit up in the darkness.
Pick up a river taxi at convenient stops along the River Walk. The Rio Taxi drivers have tickets on board that you may purchase, or you may purchase them in advance at a ticket location. Find boarding points and get tickets
Guided River Tour
Explore the River Walk's downtown section aboard a river cruiser. You'll learn about San Antonio's rich history from a professional storyteller who is also the boat captain. It's a great way to learn more about San Antonio and its famous River Walk.
Established in 1718 as Mission San Antonio de Valero, for over 300 years, the former mission now known as the Alamo has been a crossroads of history. Having existed under six flags of independent nations and served as a garrison for five different armies, the Alamo has a rich history and a heritage to inspire all Texans. Although the site is best known as the site of the 1836 Battle of the Alamo, all 300 years of Alamo history are vital to our story.
The Alamo Mission in San Antonio, commonly called the Alamo and originally known as Misión San Antonio de Valero, is part of the San Antonio Missions World Heritage Site in San Antonio, Texas, United States. Founded in the 18th century as a Roman Catholic mission and fortress compound, it was the site of the Battle of the Alamo in 1836. The Alamo is now a museum in the Alamo Plaza Historic District.The compound was one of the early Spanish missions in Texas, built for the education of area Native Americans after their conversion to Christianity. In 1793, the mission was secularized and then abandoned. Ten years later, it became a fortress housing a military unit, the Second Flying Company of San Carlos de Parras, who likely gave the mission the name Alamo. During the Texas Revolution, Mexican General Martin Perfecto de Cos surrendered the fort to the Texian Army in December 1835, following the Siege of Béxar. A relatively small number of Texian soldiers then occupied the compound for several months. They were wiped out at the Battle of the Alamo on March 6, 1836. When the Mexican army retreated from Texas several months later, they tore down many of the Alamo walls and burned some of the buildings.
The Aztec Theatre is a historic theater in Downtown San Antonio, Texas, USA.HistoryBuilt in 1926, the Aztec Theatre is a notable example of the impressive exotic-theme motion picture palaces constructed in the United States during the economic boom of the 1920s. The Kellwood Corporation, owned by Robert Bertrum Kelly (the architect on record) and H.C. Woods, constructed the theater in 1926 with the financial backing of Commerce Reality at a cost of $1.75 million.The Aztec Theatre was part of the Theater district that included the Empire (1914), the Texas (1926), the Majestic (1929), and the Alameda (1949).Though the theater remained highly popular for many decades, by the 1970s, it was in decline. It was cut into three auditoriums as the Aztec Triplex, but this only slowed the eventual. In 1989, the Aztec closed. Since October 1992, the theatre is listed in the National Register of Historic Places, which helped save it from demolition. Based on San Antonio’s Riverwalk, the second most popular tourist attraction in Texas, the new Aztec Theatre re-opened in August 2009 as a concert venue.San Antonio Rose Live was a two-hour live show featuring traditional country, western swing, and gospel music. Featuring the San Antonio Rose Live Band composed of 9 world-class musicians from Nashville, Branson, Austin and San Antonio. http://www.sanantonioroselive.com/ This show closed in February 2012 due to "the current and future economic circumstances".The Aztec Theatre was leased in September 2013. The new leaseholders are turning the theatre into a multi-purpose event center, which will host public and private functions, as well as provide a venue for musical acts. The website is located at http://www.theaztectheatre.com.
The Menger Hotel is a historic hotel located in Downtown San Antonio, Texas, USA.The Menger FamilyWilliam and Mary Menger opened the Menger hotel in 1859 in San Antonio’s Alamo Plaza. The plans for the hotel arose through the popularity of William Menger’s brewery. The Mengers sold the property in 1881 to the Kampmann family. William Menger had emigrated from Germany to America in 1847. Menger settled in San Antonio and resumed his previous trade as a cooper and brewer. With his German roots Menger brought beer to San Antonio. He opened the Menger Brewery in 1855 on the battle-grounds of the Alamo (now known as the Alamo Plaza). In 1858 the Mengers hired an architect, John M. Fries, who would complete the two-story fifty-room hotel. Up until this point most businesses in San Antonio were boarding houses and there were few breweries. The Menger hotel opened in February 1859 and became an overnight success.The Construction of The Menger HotelThe Menger Hotel was built in 1859. William Menger hired John M. Fries to be the architect of the hotel and J.H Kampmann to be the contractor of the hotel.The Menger Hotel During the Civil WarThe hotel also withstood the trials and tribulations brought on throughout the time of the family’s ownership. The Mengers witnessed the exciting events that led up to the Civil War and also experienced the turmoil of the Reconstruction in the South. As the Civil War began gaining steam in southern Texas it brought many Army soldiers to San Antonio. The large amount of soldiers stationed in San Antonio during this time created a large need for boarding houses, which the Menger’s happily provided rooms to the soldiers. It is known that famous Army men such as Sam Houston and Robert E. Lee stayed as guests in the hotel. Once the Civil War began the Menger hotel did very little business and it was a struggle to maintain the business during this time. Given the charitable nature of the Menger family they decided to put the hotel to use to aid in the war effort. Due to the slow service and hard to come by help the hotel shut down its guestrooms during the war, however they maintained their meal service in order to feed the officers and soldiers of the war. The hotel also offered space for medical care of wounded soldiers. Once the war ended in the south the hotel was quickly back in business. Once again proving that the Menger’s hotel had made a name for itself in San Antonio.
Located at 418 Villita Street on the south bank of the San Antonio River, http://goo.gl/maps/UdlnW La Villita was one of San Antonio’s first neighborhoods. It was originally a settlement of primitive huts for the Spanish soldiers stationed at the Mission San Antonio Valero (the Alamo). After a flood in 1819, brick, stone and adobe houses replaced the earlier structures. In 1836, La Villita was the site of General Santa Ana’s cannon line in the Battle of the Alamo and a map from early that year showed the village to be of considerable size. Late in the 19th century European immigrants from Germany and France moved into the area. These pioneers became San Antonio’s business leaders, bankers, educators, and craftsmen. The cultural mix that occurred at this time is best illustrated by the variety of architectural styles reflected in La Villita’s buildings. The architecture portrays the evolution of buildings from palisado to Victorian Houses. The first part of the 20th century saw La Villita decline into a slum area. In 1939, as ground broke on the San Antonio River Walk development, city fathers led by Mayor Maury Maverick acted to preserve this colorful part of San Antonio’s history. Today La Villita is a thriving art community that stands as a monument to San Antonio’s past.
La Villita has five interconnected plazas for outdoor gatherings such as wedding receptions, birthday parties, retirement celebrations and much more. Number of guests: Plaza Nacional 150-300; Maverick Plaza 1,200 - 2,500; Plaza Juarez 300 - 500; Cos House and patio 100 - 150. Also included in La Villita is the world-famous Arneson River Theatre where Fiesta Noche del Rio performs as well as many other concert performances, ballet, plays and wedding ceremonies.
La Villita Historic Arts Village is owned by the City of San Antonio and managed by the Department for Culture and Creative Development.
For parking information please visit http://www.sanantonio.gov/dtops/parking/index.aspx
The Scottish Rite Cathedral of San Antonio, Texas is located at 308 Avenue E in San Antonio. Construction began on it in 1922 and was completed in 1924, at a cost of $1.5 million.It is a 5.5-story building in the style of a classic revival temple, and serves as a headquarters and meeting place for Scottish Rite Masonry in San Antonio, and for the South Texas Region. The building also frequently serves as an event hall for performing arts and various cultural events.The building features notable architectural elements including: gabled front portico, Corinthian columns, a terracotta frieze, and elaborately sculpted bronze front doors featuring George Washington and Sam Houston which were created by Pompeo Coppini. Coppini was a thirty-second degree member of the San Antonio Consistory. In 1936, sculptor Coppini was one of the honored guests who delivered an address at the November 15 dedication and installation of the doors.The cathedral was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
The Tower Life Building is a landmark and historic building in Downtown San Antonio, Texas, USA.Construction of the tower began in 1927 and the building rises 403 feet (123 meters) and has 30 floors. The building, which opened in 1929, was originally named the Smith-Young Tower and is the central component of a partially completed development called the Bowen Island Skyscrapers. The eight sided, neo-gothic brick and terra-cotta tower (complete with gargoyles) was designed by noted local architectural firm Ayres & Ayres (Atlee & Robert M. Ayres). The building also housed San Antonio's first Sears, Roebuck and Company store in its lowest 6 levels.The other completed building in the development is the former Plaza Hotel (also designed by Ayres & Ayres), which opened in 1927. The property became the local outlet of Hilton Hotels in 1956 and was converted into the Granada Apartments in 1966. Subsequent structures in the development were never built as a direct result of the Stock Market Crash of 1929 and the Great Depression.In the 1940s the building was renamed the Transit Tower for the San Antonio Transit Company, which the Smith Brothers purchased in 1943. In 1953 a television transmission tower was added to the structure. Renovations in 2010 removed the obsolete television mast in favor of the tower's original design, a copper tophouse with a 100 ft tall flagpole.The building is now named for its current owner, Tower Life Insurance Company.In 1991 the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
St. Mark's Episcopal Church (San Antonio, Texas)Distance: 0.6 miCompetitive Analysis 315 E Pecan St San Antonio, TX 78205
St. Mark's Episcopal Church, is an historic church in San Antonio, Texas, United States, founded as a parish in 1858 that was added to the National Register of Historic Places on February 12, 1998. Lady Bird Johnson and Lyndon B. Johnson were married at St. Mark's on November 17, 1934. The church is located at 315 East Pecan Street in Travis Park, in the heart of the River Walk District and is only four blocks from the Alamo. The rector is the Reverend Beth Knowlton (called to be rector on May 20, 2014).National Register listingSt. Mark's Episcopal Church(added 1998 - Building - #98000103)315 E. Pecan St., San AntonioFounded: 1858Built (completion): 1877Historic Significance: Architecture/EngineeringArchitect, builder, or engineer: et al., Upjohn, RichardArchitectural Style: Gothic Revival, Late 19th And 20th Century RevivalsArea of Significance: ArchitecturePeriod of Significance: 1850-1874, 1875–1899, 1925–1949, 1950–1974Owner: PrivateHistoric Function: ReligionHistoric Sub-function: Religious StructureCurrent Function: ReligionCurrent Sub-function: Religious Structure
José Antonio Navarro was an influential political figure during the momentous 55 years (1810–1865) when Texas’ destiny was forged. Navarro served in Texas legislatures under Mexico, the Republic of Texas and the state of Texas. In addition, he served on the committees that wrote the first two Texas constitutions in 1836 and 1845.
Although a prominent, influential leader, Navarro was not a professional politician. As a young man he learned the merchant trade, the occupation of his father. Factories from the United States and Europe sent ships loaded with merchandise to New Orleans, where Navarro arranged to import books, cloth, clothing, wine, sugar, rice and coffee.
Navarro also earned a living through land investment. During the 1830s, he purchased more than 50,000 acres of ranch land at a price of pennies per acre. Because thousands of people were immigrating into Texas, the demand for land increased. Navarro sold portions of his land holdings for up to three dollars per acre. His San Antonio rental properties also produced income.
His wife Margarita de la Garza was also a native of San Antonio. Between 1817 and 1837, she bore four sons and three daughters. Numerous descendants live in and around San Antonio, with many more scattered throughout the country.
The mission of Casa Navarro is to preserve and maintain the historical integrity of the site’s buildings, while interpreting 19th-century Tejano culture through the life and times of José Antonio Navarro.
Casa Navarro State Historic Site is a Texas Historical Commission (THC) property. The THC’s mission is to protect and preserve the state's historic and prehistoric resources for the use, enjoyment and economic benefit of present and future generations.
Presidio San Antonio de Béxar was a Spanish fort built near the San Antonio River, located in what is now San Antonio, Texas, USA. It was designed for protection of the mission system and civil settlement in central Texas. It also served to secure Spain's claim to the region from French, English and American aggression. It was built by Franciscan priest Antonio de Olivares and the Payaya; and along with the Misión de San Antonio de Valero (the Alamo) and the Acequia Madre de Valero, is the origin of the present city of San Antonio, Texas.EstablishmentFrom the Convent of Querétaro, several expeditions were organized to the region of Texas, an area of great strategic importance to the Spanish crown. With that goal in 1675, an expedition formed by Fray Antonio de Olivares, Fray Francisco Hidalgo, Fray Juan Larios, and Fernando del Bosque was sent to explore and describe the country beyond the borders of Rio Grande, to test the possibilities of new settlements in the area.
Bonsai Arbor specializes in all things related to bonsai.Owner, Sherry Disdier, is a career long horticulturist. She has specialized in large scale wholesale woody ornamental tree production and propagation. She is especially proud to be able to help people get started in bonsai. This year she has been in business in La Villita for 26 years. Her shop sells bonsai, pre-bonsai, pots, tools, supplies and accessories for bonsai. She services and boards customer's bonsai. Periodically she gives classes and is available to groups for presentations. Call for details and fees.
Equinox Gallery serves as a meeting place to showcase and educate the community by providing a platform for the diversity in the field of metalsmithing. Our exhibition space honors the history of the culture of the southwest and blends traditional and current objects of adornment. Equinox houses the working studio of owner and artist Alejandro Sifuentes and his work is on view year round. The gallery hosts invitational exhibitions throughout the year and is located in La Villita in the heart of downtown San Antonio, Texas.
Day of the Dead Information: http://www.casamanos.com/mobile/muertos/dayofdead.png
Oaxacan Woodcarving Artist (Alebrijes) Information:
Information about Glenda Saucedo's Life and Art: