123-01 Roosevelt Avenue, Flushing, NY 11368 New York, NY 11368 (718) 507-6387
Shea Stadium ) was a stadium in Flushing Meadows–Corona Park, Queens, New York City. Built as a multi-purpose stadium, it was the home park of Major League Baseball's New York Mets from 1964 to 2008, as well as the New York Jets football team from 1964 to 1983.Shea Stadium was named in honor of William A. Shea, the man who was most responsible for bringing National League baseball back to New York. It was demolished in 2009 to create additional parking for the adjacent Citi Field, the current home of the Mets.
Community and Government Near Shea Stadium
Flushing – Main Street (IRT Flushing Line)Distance: 1.0 miCompetitive Analysis Main Street & Roosevelt Avenue Flushing, NY 11354
Flushing–Main Street is the northern terminal station on the IRT Flushing Line of the New York City Subway, located at Main Street and Roosevelt Avenue in the Downtown section of Flushing, Queens. It is served by the at all times and the train rush hours in the peak direction.The Flushing–Main Street station was originally built as part of the Dual Contracts between the Interborough Rapid Transit Company and the Brooklyn–Manhattan Transit Corporation . It opened on January 21, 1928, completing the segment of the Flushing Line in Queens. Although plans existed for the line to be extended east of the station, such an extension was never built. The station was renovated in the 1990s.The passenger count in 2015 for the station was 19,082,391, making it the 12th busiest station system-wide, the busiest station in Queens, and the busiest station outside of Manhattan.
The Queens Zoo is an 18acre zoo located in Flushing Meadows – Corona Park in the New York City borough of Queens. The zoo is part of an integrated system of four zoos and one aquarium managed by the Wildlife Conservation Society in partnership with the New York City Department of Parks and Recreation, and is accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA).HistoryConstructed on the site of the 1964 New York World's Fair and opened in 1968, it is the first to be designed from the start as a cageless zoo. Robert Moses turned the first shovel full of earth for the new construction on August 20, 1966, and cut the ceremonial ribbon to the new 18acre "Flushing Meadows Zoo" a bit more than two years later on October 26, 1968.The zoo's aviary is a geodesic dome designed by Thomas C. Howard of Synergetics, Inc. and used during the 1964 Fair. The dome was originally designed as the fair's major indoor assembly hall, with no indoor supports blocking anyone's view, and repurposed for the 1965 season as a tribute to Winston Churchill after he died in 1964. The 175ft diameter dome was one of the largest single-layer structures of its time. It was dismantled and stored after the fair, and was later reassembled in its current location with a mesh netting covering instead of the solid tent of the original dome.
Louis Armstrong Stadium is a tennis stadium of the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center and is one of the venues of the U.S. Open, the last of each year's four Grand Slam tournaments. The Center is located in Flushing Meadows–Corona Park, in the New York City borough of Queens. Armstrong was the main stadium before Arthur Ashe Stadium opened in 1997, and is now the No. 2 stadium. It is named after the noted jazz musician Louis Armstrong, who lived nearby until his death in 1971.HistoryThe stadium was originally built as the Singer Bowl for the 1964 New York World's Fair, and hosted special events and concerts afterwards. In the early 1970s, the United States Tennis Association was looking for a new place to host the U.S. Open as relations with the West Side Tennis Club in Forest Hills, which had hosted the tournament, were breaking down. The USTA was initially unable to find a sufficient site, but the association's incoming president, W.E. Hester saw the old Singer Bowl from the window of an airplane flying into LaGuardia Airport. The old, long rectangular stadium was heavily renovated and divided into two venues, becoming the square Louis Armstrong Stadium, with the remaining third becoming the attached Grandstand, the third largest stadium at the US Open, with a seating capacity of about 6,000.
103rd Street – Corona Plaza (IRT Flushing Line)Distance: 0.9 miCompetitive Analysis 103-13 41st Ave Corona, NY 11368
103rd Street–Corona Plaza is a local station on the IRT Flushing Line of the New York City Subway. Located at the intersection of 103rd Street and Roosevelt Avenue, it is served by the 7 train at all times.HistoryThis station opened on April 21, 1917, as Alburtis Avenue, as the easternmost station of an extension of the Flushing line past Queensboro Plaza. It was later renamed 104th Street, giving the possibility of a sealed exit at the north end, before taking its current name of 103rd Street–Corona Plaza. This station still contains signs, which have been covered, showing Alburtis Avenue. This station was the eastern terminal for the joint BMT and IRT services on the line until the extension to 111th Street opened on October 13, 1925.The platforms at 103rd Street were extended in 1955–1956 to accommodate 11-car trains..Station layoutThis elevated station has three tracks and two side platforms. The center track is used by the rush hour peak direction express service. Both platforms have beige windscreens and brown canopies supported by green frames and support columns in the center and green waist-high steel fences at both ends. The station names are in the standard black plates in white lettering, though some lampposts at both ends have their original white signs in black letting.
The United States Open Tennis Championships is a hardcourt tennis tournament. The tournament is the modern version of one of the oldest tennis championships in the world, the U.S. National Championship, for which men's singles was first contested in 1881. Since 1987, the US Open has been chronologically the fourth and final tennis major comprising the Grand Slam each year; the other three, in chronological order, are the Australian Open, the French Open and Wimbledon.The US Open is held annually, starting on the last Monday in August, and lasting for two weeks into September, with the middle weekend coinciding with the Labor Day holiday. The main tournament consists of five event championships: men's and women's singles, men's and women's doubles, and mixed doubles, with additional tournaments for senior, junior, and wheelchair players. Since 1978, the tournament has been played on acrylic hard courts at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows–Corona Park, Queens, New York City. The US Open is owned and organized by the United States Tennis Association (USTA), a not-for-profit organization. Net proceeds from ticket sales, sponsorships, and television deals are used to promote the development of tennis in the United States.
Welcome to Wong Nutrition! Come and try our delicious nutrition Herbalife shake, aloe, and tea. FREE Yoga, dance, workout classes. Professional health coaches support, free meal plans, give RESULTS! LOSE weight, Gain weight, Increase Energy, Fitness, Skin care (Book appt for free facial for new customer)
Flushing Meadows CarouselDistance: 0.8 miCompetitive Analysis 111th St & 55th Ave New York, NY 11368
The Flushing Meadows Carousel is a carousel located in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park in the New York City borough of Queens. It contains four rows of figures, including 64 jumping horses, 7 standing horses, 1 menagerie animal (a lion), and 2 chariots. It was created to serve patrons of the 1964 New York World's Fair by combining two earlier carousels, both of which were carved in Coney Island in the first decade of the twentieth century by renowned carver Marcus Illions. During the fair, it stood on a nearby site within the park, and it was moved to its present site in 1968, where it has remained in service ever since.In 2016 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.Coney Island predecessorsThe two predecessor carousels were the Feltman’s Carousel and the Stubbman Carousel, both of which were created for amusement operators in Coney Island. 47 horses and the frame are from the Stubbman Carousel, and 24 horses are from the Feltman’s Carousel.While Coney Island has seen resurgence since 2000, it had been busy during the Great Depression and had over twenty carousels spinning at once. The Feltman's Carousel had a restaurant and beer garden that occupied the site where the Luna Park currently sits, approximately between Jones Walk and West 10th Street. The carousel was indoors but faced Surf Avenue. The “Flying Horses” catalogue issued in 1970 by Rol and Jo Summit noted that some of the horses on Feltman’s carousel were left over from an earlier Looff carousel that caught fire, probably around 1899 or 1900. Feltman's carousel is regarded by some as Marcus Illions' masterpiece.