Home of the 11-time Stanley Cup Champion Detroit Red Wings, Joe Louis Arena proudly stands along the banks of the Detroit River. The arena is Detroit’s largest indoor venue and regularly hosts exciting attractions, including professional sports, college hockey, concerts, ice shows and much more.
Ford Field is a facility unmatched in its character and unparalleled in its amenities. This state-of-the-art venue for world class entertainment and sporting events is located in the heart of Detroit's burgeoning sports and entertainment district and home to the Detroit Lions.
Since opening in 2002, Ford Field has boasted a tremendous roster of events, ranging from Detroit Lions football to full stadium concerts, college basketball, motorsports events, Super Bowl XL in 2006, WrestleMania in 2007, and the 2009 NCAA® Men's Final Four®.
Seating Capacity: 65,000
The excitement of world-class auto racing will return to the Motor City next summer with the Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix, June 3-5, 2016.
Over $7.5 million in improvements have been made to Belle Isle Park since the Grand Prix made its return to Detroit in 2007 and 2008.
On the first weekend in June, the Automotive Capital of the World will once again bristle with excitement as the cars of the Verizon IndyCar Series, the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship and high-flying trucks of the SPEED Energy Stadium SUPER Trucks presented by Traxxas will battle wheel-to-wheel on the temporary street circuit constructed on Belle Isle, the beautiful 982-acre island located on the Detroit River between Windsor, Ontario, Canada and Detroit, Michigan.
Make sure to visit the official web site often (http://www.detroitgp.com/) for continued updates on the Chevrolet Detroit Belle Isle Grand Prix.
" The Final Season- Fathers, Sons and One Last Season in a Classic American Ballpark" author Tom Stanton describes Tiger Stadium best:
"Our ballpark feels like Detroit. It carries no airs. It's blue collar and industrial. When you enter through the gates, you come in beneath corrugated doors that have been rolled up on tracks, like at a warehouse delivery dock. You're greeted by cement and steel, strong, riveted girders that thrust upward and serve a purpose, holding the deck above in place. There are no architectural flourishes, no cornices, no fancy tile work, no aesthetic touches. This stadium shows its secrets - pipes, wires, girders and all. It's plain and simple, no scent of pretentiousness. It doesn't yearn to be something it is not."
Joe Louis Arena is a multi-purpose arena located in Detroit, Michigan. It is the home of the Detroit Red Wings of the National Hockey League. Completed in 1979 at a cost of $57 million, the venue is named after boxer and former heavyweight champion Joe Louis, who grew up in Detroit. Only one other NHL arena, Madison Square Garden, is without a corporate sponsorship name. The third oldest NHL venue after Madison Square Garden and Rexall Place, Joe Louis Arena is owned by the city of Detroit, and operated by Olympia Entertainment, a subsidiary of Ilitch Holdings. Joe Louis Arena replaced Olympia Stadium. It sits adjacent to Cobo Hall on the bank of the Detroit River and is accessible through its own station on the Detroit People Mover.
The Fort Street Presbyterian Church is located at 631 West Fort Street in Detroit, Michigan. It was constructed in 1855, and completely rebuilt in 1876. The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated a Michigan State Historic Site in 1971. Its steeple stands 265ft, making it one of the tallest churches in the United States.Early historyThe lot for the church was purchased from Mr. Shadrack and Mary (Stead) Gillett, whose home was located there prior to the construction of the church. The population of Detroit grew rapidly in the 1830s and 1840s, in particular bringing an influx of English Protestants to the city. In 1849, Reverend Robert Kellogg organized the Second Presbyterian Church, with 26 charter members. The congregation met for worship in the old Capitol building until it constructed a church on the corner of Lafayette and Wayne Street the next year.Construction and reconstructionIn 1852, Albert Jordan and his brother Octavius arrived in Detroit from Hartford, Connecticut, and soon established a place among the leading architects of the city. In the mid-1850s, despite a membership of only 167 people, the Second Presbyterian congregation hired the Jordans to design a new, larger church. The location the congregation picked was on Fort Street just west of downtown; at that time, the area was a popular residential district and home to many prominent citizens who were also members of the congregation, such as Russell A. Alger, James F. Joy (Henry B. Joy's father), Theodore S. Buhl, Henry D. Shelden, and Zachariah Chandler. After the move, the congregation changed its name to the Fort Street Presbyterian Church.
The Fort Street Presbyterian Church is located at 631 West Fort Street in Detroit, Michigan. It was constructed in 1855, and completely rebuilt in 1876. The church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and designated a Michigan State Historic Site in 1971. Its steeple stands 265 ft, making it one of the tallest churches in the United States.